• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2002 Top 25 Recruiting Classes:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

you guys put far too much weight on subjective rankings.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

you guys put far too much weight on subjective rankings.

That was the whole point of this thread.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Kyle while it may not be completely accurate, check the numbers of the classes over the last 3 - 4 years and tell me who's on top.

The point is the big schools will get the BIG guys. However, the talent doesn't end at 250. Its about finding at talent and maturing it to play at the collegiate level.

I'm sure if we finished in the top 25 your "you guys put far too much weight on the subjective rankings" would be bragging about how far USF has come in 9 years to get a top 25 class.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

My point is just that, that we're getting talent every year regardless of what scout, rivals, or superprep think. Most of the recruiting analysts at these places aren’t coaches, and they don’t have any idea what these kids are being recruited to do at any particular school, the majority of the time. That being said, I'm going to trust our coaching staff to pick and choose the right kids for the systems they want to run...after all, look how far USF has come in 9 years WITHOUT a top 25 class.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

-snip-

"It's humorous to me when I see all these rating services rate different people," said Leavitt, recalling former Bull J.R. Reed wasn't highly rated in high school but made it to the NFL. "I see it all the time. I think what's important as a coach is you identify the guys that fit your program and you go after them. That's what we do."

-snip-

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBBPIHK6JE.html

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

My point is just that, that we're getting talent every year regardless of what scout, rivals, or superprep think. Most of the recruiting analysts at these places aren’t coaches, and they don’t have any idea what these kids are being recruited to do at any particular school, the majority of the time. That being said, I'm going to trust our coaching staff to pick and choose the right kids for the systems they want to run...after all, look how far USF has come in 9 years WITHOUT a top 25 class.

A voice of reason among all the hand wringing .....

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I never said we WEREN'T getting talent, in fact if you read my posts I think we have A LOT of talent comming in. Is it National Title caliber, probably not. Is it talented enough to allow us to compete in the Big East? Yes.

While you say most of these recruiting places aren't analysts your wrong. There are a lot of these guys that work for these networks that were once assistant coaches and have been on teh recruiting trail.

Analysis of these recruits is no different than any type of sports talent evaluation. You wiff on some (Ryan Leaf, Kwame Brown, Todd Van Poppel) and you hit big with guys that are picked up later because you think you can develop them in your system (Tom Brady, Michael Redd, Mike Piazza).

This is a solid recruiting class and should bring a lot of great players in on teh defensive side of the ball and on the O-Line.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

piazza was drafted as a favor to lasorda

no team would have drafted him

a team that recruits 61 type talent doesnt compete for any championship unless big east splits into 2 divisions are we are with cinn,rutgers and uconn

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

we just finished #2 in the BE with indy, and cusa talent so i think we will be alright with BCS BE talent over the next couple of years.

there is very little difference between 30 and 60 interms of impact of talent at this level it is the coaching that makes the difference.

and YES #61 with players that fit your system that are well coached can get us into a bcs game.

NC is a different matter, but as we win consistantly the talent will improve

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

Is it National Title caliber, probably not. Is it talented enough to allow us to compete in the Big East?

we're not in the business to compete, we're here to win.. i think many forget that as they daydream in class about CJL.  USF didnt join the big east to tiptoe in the tulips that is being invited to nonBCS games

is it too much to ask for to win the Big East (arguably the worst BCS conference) when you're sitting on the box of dynamite recruits that is the state of florida?