• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Crowd Blows.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

<<~~~~~~THIS guy WAS at the game...

I sat 4 seats from a USF STUDENT CHEERING FOR VILLANOVA.

Now that I have your attention, I'll go deeper into the story...

Our row was as follows: BigEastBeasts, BigShoop, couple on a date, rabid USF fan, rabid USF fan's buddy....student....cheering for Nova.

"Rabid USF fan" was going NUTS the entire game. With help from BEBeasts and I. His friends, and those around him(including the couple on a date who were "too cool to get excited") were making fun of him for cheering. Then I heard it.....

Rabid turns and says to his buddy: (paraphrasing) "you're a student and you're cheering for Nova, so screw you!"

buddy: "yeah, i'm cheering for Nova. You know why? CAUSE USF SUCKS!"

It was at this point that it took everything in my power NOT to get up in this guy's face. As I've stated before, I have never stepped foot on the USF campus or any campus as a student. I am USF fan only. HOW could a student utter words like that? I can understand if you think the team sucks, thats fine, thats your opinion. But you came to the game, with your buddy, and you make fun of HIM when HE stands up and does waht a true fan is supposed to do - cheer for his team. Then YOU have the audacity to cheer - LOUDLY, i might add - for the opposing team.

To that fan, I say _ _ ck you!

Sadly, this situation is MUCH more pressing than bashing the "older" section of the crowd at USF sporting events.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest, Whoever you are need to read.

I never said they had to be standing the whole game, I never said they weren't good fans. I said they weren't doing a good job supporting the team by sitting the until the last 30 tics of a game we were supossed to get blown out in.

While I was not at the game because I am currently interviewing in Dayton, OH for a job I was able to watch the game on ESPN 360. A lot of the crowd WAS sitting and people at the game have confirmed it.

I just think it kills the energy of a game. Even when I played high school ball the crowd at least stood the last min of a game if it was close. What amps you more seeing a crowd standing at the anticipation of going crazy if when something happens or a bunch of people sitting like the next play is just as important of a play as one 7 minutes into a game.

Just my 2 cents. Has nothing to do with donors or how much they donate, just the way the crowd reacted.

From my vantage point, MOST fans were on their feet cheering. Apparentley that doesn't translate across an internet feed from some tiny crowd shot.

When you say "Our Crowd Blows" , you mean to say they ARE good fans??

While some people might have been sitting, a majority of the crowd was standing and cheering on the Bulls.

I guess some people just need to find the negative in everything.

Maybe next time you will realize that the majority is standing and show THEM some props for showing up and supporting your team.

Glass half full; crowd half sitting.

Guess it depends on how you perceive life.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

What amps you more seeing a crowd standing at the anticipation of going crazy if when something happens

The key word if.  See, most of you 20 something's don't remember when there actually were things happening. in the early to mid 90's, we went to the NCAA's, Elite 8 NIT, beat top 25 teams, etc.  Since then, NOT SO MUCH TO CHEER ABOUT!!!  Doesn't mean we don't support our team, just not excited about possibly going 1-15 vs 0-16.

Also, you 20 something's will learn...your body has a lot more energy during it's first 25 years than it does during it's second 25.  There's a reason athletes retire when they hit 30+  There's also a reason older fans don't want to stand for 2 hours.

You guys do what you want.   None of those older guys are here telling you to sit down.  Don't tell them they have to stand.

At least they are there supporting their local university, unlike the other 2 million Tampa Bay residents who were not there.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm almost 90% sure some of you don't read. I never said I want the older crowd standing the WHOLE game. I said the LAST MINUTE in a 2 point game. I'm not saying you have to jump and scream, etc. Least put some enthusiam.

As for "guest" I understand you were standing, but from what most people have said, contradictory to you, has been in agreement with me. I have talked to friends that were at the game that said the whole last minute the student section was trying to get most the building to stand but they didn't until Nova's timeout.

I apologize for the "Our Crowd Blows" but I was writing it while watching the game, and the crowd wasn't doing anything but the majority was sitting. Call it negative, call it what you want, but it wasn't what you want from a home team in that situation.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i was at the game in the student section front row center court, so i have a pretty good view of the entire dome, and the alumni and donors sitting across from me, minus one or two guys in the floor seats sat on their butts no matter how hard we tried to get them loud, you come back from a timeout, we are either up or down by a close margin and they were sitting, thats the time to get loud and let the team know they are appreciated.  i don't think its asking much for the alumni/donors to stand and cheer when a timeout is called and when the timeout is over, for g-d's sake it was a close game against the #6 team in the country, and that can't get you excited?  come on, if that doesn't move you to stand and cheer than you don't have a pulse.  joe's title for this thread isn't totally incorrect, what it should have said was the alumni/donor sections blow.  students came out and cheered albeit the chants were off and done rather fast at times, at least we were there in full force being loud and making noise.  and who cares that the opponents think our fans are annoying, i take pride in that i can't annoy opponents fans by cheering loudly for my team and supporting them.  remember we were voted harshest fans in C-USA back in 01-02 season.  we are slowly getting back to that status and that is a good thing, because it makes for a hostile environment for the opponent and gives the home team a good home court advantage

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

Sadly, this situation is MUCH more pressing than bashing the "older" section of the crowd at USF sporting events.

Sometimes you can't help kids that are douchebags. He will spend the rest of his douchebag life jumping on bandwagons.

A suggestion to deal with that kind of ass, is to simply trip and spill a little hot coffee on him. On accident of course. The spilled coffee will be the best 2 bucks you will spend the whole night.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

i was at the game in the student section front row center court, so i have a pretty good view of the entire dome, and the alumni and donors sitting across from me, minus one or two guys in the floor seats sat on their butts no matter how hard we tried to get them loud, you come back from a timeout, we are either up or down by a close margin and they were sitting, thats the time to get loud and let the team know they are appreciated.  i don't think its asking much for the alumni/donors to stand and cheer when a timeout is called and when the timeout is over, for g-d's sake it was a close game against the #6 team in the country, and that can't get you excited?  come on, if that doesn't move you to stand and cheer than you don't have a pulse.  joe's title for this thread isn't totally incorrect, what it should have said was the alumni/donor sections blow.  students came out and cheered albeit the chants were off and done rather fast at times, at least we were there in full force being loud and making noise.  and who cares that the opponents think our fans are annoying, i take pride in that i can't annoy opponents fans by cheering loudly for my team and supporting them.  remember we were voted harshest fans in C-USA back in 01-02 season.  we are slowly getting back to that status and that is a good thing, because it makes for a hostile environment for the opponent and gives the home team a good home court advantage

Not sure what the rules are for the floor seats at USF, but at Syracuse the floor seats are prohibited from standing.

That section is dead at games, but they fund USF athletics. Thats why I kept my seats behind the basket with the same donation as many of them. Plus there are not 4 seats together on that side.

If you couldn't get fired up during that game, you never will.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

The students especially, were AWESOME!

Need to quantify that a little .... the LOWER BOWL students were awesome, and they were. The students in the 2nd level behind the baskets sucked for the most part. Green and Gold guys went up there late in the game trying to stir them and got nothing ..... I assumed there must have been some kind of a contest.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

The whole idea of standing gets way too much attention...only from students.  I am a 42 year old Alum....support USF athletics to the point that I have one of those very good seats.  I will add that is sacrificial giving to help the Alma Mater that I love.  Just doing my small part....

If you think that the fans standing up would have made us make the three pointer at the end of the game then you're partially insane.  Furthermore, if you think you are a "better fan" than I am because you stand, you're an idiot.  I have NEVER missed a home football game, traveled to at least 2 away games each year, drove to see USF play Stetson in Deland several times and at UCF everytime we've played there.  I've had basketball season tix since I was enrolled at USF.  And...back in the day, it wasn't a freebie like it is today.  So...don't equate standing up and getting in the way of people just as interested in the game as you are to a lack of interest or enthusiasm.  At some point in your life, you probably just become a little more concerned about allowing those who choose to sit, or have to sit, the courtesy to enjoy the game and not be an a-hole and stand in their way.

Our crowd was extremely enthusiastic, as was I, and should not be bashed for their "performance".  You want to pick a bone....try the other 38,000 student who have stayed away from every athletic performance in their time at USF.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Exactly coolbull1.  Not everyone in the place has to act or react exactly the same way.

Maybe some should get shirts that say "if you can't see...stand up" "if you can't sit down, don't buy a seat"   ;D