• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Adds Kansas, McNeese State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

USF Adds Kansas, McNeese State

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Dec 20, 2005

TAMPA - South Florida agreed to a home-and-home series with Kansas beginning next season in Lawrence, Kan., and added a home game with Division I-AA McNeese State, completing the Bulls' 2006 football schedule.

The Bulls will visit Kansas on Sept. 23, 2006, with the return game in Tampa in 2008.

The USF-KU game will be a reunion for USF coach Jim Leavitt and Kansas coach Mark Mangino, who worked together as assistants at Kansas State from 1991 to 1995. Kansas (6-5) is playing in its second bowl game in three years Friday against Houston in the Fort Worth Bowl.

The addition of Kansas forced the Bulls to push back their road game at North Carolina to Oct. 14.

The Bulls open next season Sept. 2 at home against McNeese State (5-4), which will receive $250,000 for the game.

USF's remaining non-conference schedule: Sept. 9 at home vs. Florida International, Sept. 16 at UCF and Oct. 14 at North Carolina.

In Big East play, USF will host Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse and visit Cincinnati, Louisville and West Virginia. Game dates for the Big East Conference games have not been determined.

76 Percent Of Division I Athletes Graduate

INDIANAPOLIS - More than three-fourths of Division I athletes complete their college education, according to a new calculation that NCAA President Myles Brand calls more accurate.

The new Graduation Success Rate, or GSR, shows 76 percent graduate, the NCAA said Monday. The rate includes students who transfer to other schools throughout their college career, information not considered in the federally mandated graduation rate. That rate is 62 percent, according to preliminary data.

"Our students today are far more mobile than they have been in the past," Brand said. "We must respect that migration of students in order to get accurate data."

Among the 318 Division I schools, the overall graduation rate for football was 64 percent, an increase from 54 percent based on the federal rate.

The University of South Florida had a GSR of 57 percent in football, compared with a federal rate of 50 percent.

Florida State's GRS in football was 52 percent, compared with a 46 percent federal rate. Miami had a GSR of 67 percent and a federal rate of 65 percent in football. Florida had a GSR of 80 percent in football, compared to a federal rate of 42 percent.

"The academic success of our student-athletes is our first priority," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said. "This is something that we have tracked and monitored for years. Our Graduation Success Rate numbers released today show that academics are a priority for our student-athletes and coaches.

"I think the computation of the GSR more accurately reflects the progress of the teams than the federal graduation rates. Students transfer in and out of programs and their progress should also be tracked."

Lacrosse had the highest GSR for both men and women, at 89 percent and 94 percent, respectively.

In men's sports, basketball had the lowest GSR, at 58 percent, an improvement on the federally reported graduation rate of 44 percent. The women's basketball rate was 81 percent.

In women's sports, bowling had the lowest GSR at 72 percent.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBXZ4ZOFHE.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

god, you mean we actually have to see that disgusting whale of a coach in person?

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

MANGINO! I can't wait for that game!

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

COOL...ANOTHER BIG 12 TEAM..I LIKE IT

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Why do we have to go back to UCONN?  We were away at UCONN this year.  SHouldn't they come here?

tw

USF will host Connecticut

;)

This is great having the schedule "completed" before New Year's ... sure the dates have already been set for the Big East, just not released.

Season will be a bit similiar with two tough away games, L'ville & WVU. Hopefully the away games will be earlier in the season  ;)

I like this schedule and am planning to be 12-0 and WIN the Sugar Bowl and our first national Championship !  8)

Go BULLS !!!  ;D

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

How many home games does that make for next season, I am too lazy to count?

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

6 home games next year...

McNeese St., FIU, Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Hell ucf is almost a home game!   Add in Road trip to NC and I can go to 8 games!

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

They have flights to Lawrence? or is it cheaper to fly into a large airport and drive, anyone of any Insight on KU.