• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pookah and Red, new epi

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Sorry, but Red is wrong on the OCS. Unwittingly undermined his own credibility there a bit. Glad the university and the overwhelming majority of USF fans disagree with him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

11 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Sorry, but Red is wrong on the OCS. Unwittingly undermined his own credibility there a bit. Glad the university and the overwhelming majority of USF fans disagree with him.

Disagree with him, too and think the time has come for one ….but he is still donating to it and continuing to buy season tickets so that negates any credibility issues for me. 

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,530
  • Days Won:  25

44 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

He isn't wrong though. The ocs will more than likely not be as nice as Ray Jay.  We could pack the house if we were winning or play power programs consistently  again. I agree with him even and I still donated money the ocs and keep my tickets. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

He isn't wrong though. The ocs will more than likely not be as nice as Ray Jay.  We could pack the house if we were winning or play power programs consistently  again. I agree with him even and I still donated money the ocs and keep my tickets. 

He had some good points. I mean, how much could 40,000 green seat covers cost. Hell, for $340 million, we could hire limos/party busses, etc to bring the kids for years and years to the stadium and back.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

32 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

He had some good points. I mean, how much could 40,000 green seat covers cost. Hell, for $340 million, we could hire limos/party busses, etc to bring the kids for years and years to the stadium and back.

The 340m in that scenario is pure cost. Offset by wins, engagement etc sure but still its writing checks to others.

If we drop 340 now on an OCS, USF has an engine for revenue and inflows for decades. Everything from parking to drinks to suite rentals to Taylor Swift concerts. 

To me that settles it in my mind but yeah others can disagree 

50 minutes ago, hm101 said:

The 340m in that scenario is pure cost. Offset by wins, engagement etc sure but still its writing checks to others.

If we drop 340 now on an OCS, USF has an engine for revenue and inflows for decades. Everything from parking to drinks to suite rentals to Taylor Swift concerts. 

To me that settles it in my mind but yeah others can disagree 

How many years will it take to pay off and break even with the high interest rates stacked with transitional inflatation ? A 340 million stadium today is equivalent to like what a 150 to 200 million dollar stadium 5  years ago?  It will be cool to have an OCS but I find getting back to being a ranked football team in a power conference  should be a bigger priority. We still pack Ray Jay when we draw big p5 opponents such as Florida and Bama in the last few years, but lets be real the crowds are not going to be any bigger or more excited to be playing the AAC teams.

Edited by Outlaw

3 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

It will be cool to have an OCS but I find getting back to being a ranked football team in a power conference  should be a bigger priority.

So what does that even mean? What part of getting the ocs is taking away from trying to get back to being ranked and in a power conference? They are not mutually exclusive. 

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So what does that even mean? What part of getting the ocs is taking away from trying to get back to being ranked and in a power conference? They are not mutually exclusive. 

This is true. You can  recruit great players  with cash for their likeness and image. You can't buy production on the field with an ocs. It just comes down to what you prefer. I have no problem playing at Ray JAy with all the perks and amenities of a pro stadium, but I am fine with donating and having an OCS. I prefer winning, being ranked, being relevant, and being in a power confernece instead of building an OCS. USC and UCLA are moving on from  a dying powr conference to the B1g and neither of them have an ocs stadium. Miami is in the ACC and they don't have an OCS. Oregon doesn't have an OCS and it is about a 10 to 20 minute drive depending on traffic to get to the stadium.  There is no requirement that you have to have an OCS to get into a power5 conference. Winning and putting the best product on the field is what moves you up in college football.

Edited by Outlaw

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

This is true.

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Thanks. 

Thanks for ignoring that an OCS isn't an actual requirement to join a power conference. Hell the college down the road can't even get their students interested in b12 football games and would rather go to pool parties. Miami has won multiple national championships and is in a power confernece without an ocs. The OCS will be good for the program , but it doesn't move the bar for USF getting a power invite without wins.