• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can everyone calm down?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

We've had to have these conversations too many times

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

There’s probably a psychological term, you know, like separation personality that allows people to follow something or be engaged in something, but have no responsibility or no say in it, which makes no sense to me.  But it clearly exists for some.

"Reality based" .... We as fans don't have any responsibility or say in the outcome of games.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

There’s probably a psychological term, you know, like separation personality that allows people to follow something or be engaged in something, but have no responsibility or no say in it, which makes no sense to me.  But it clearly exists for some.

Edit:  I was hoping you’d show up @Grateful Dad   Lol.  

• Being part of a fandom provides a sense of community and is related to higher social self-esteem and lower levels of loneliness and alienation.
  • Team identification is the degree to which a fan views the team as an extension of self-identity.
  • Highly identified fans feel a strong psychological connection to their team, and a feeling of vicarious achievement when their team wins.
  • Dysfunctional fans have impaired social functioning, and may engage in behaviors such as confronting others and complaining.
WWW.PSYCHOLOGYTODAY.COM

Identifying with our favorite team can be healthy or dysfunctional.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

"Reality based" .... We as fans don't have any responsibility or say in the outcome of games.

And that’s the tool that you use to cope with failure.  None of us “have a say” in the outcome of the game, but not all of us use that as a reason to be apathetic towards the outcome - or the greater program itself.  

You just said you go to games to “support the team.”  What are you supporting?  How will you know when your support is effective?  Or let me guess… It just doesn’t matter. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  2,961
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, Grateful Dad said:
  • Dysfunctional fans have impaired social functioning, and may engage in behaviors such as confronting others and complaining.
WWW.PSYCHOLOGYTODAY.COM

Identifying with our favorite team can be healthy or dysfunctional.

They're on to us. 

Season 4 Family GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

So if we beat UConn by 30, does the board turn a 180 once again?

Of course. The emotional swings of our fan base are next level 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

separation personality that allows people to follow something or be engaged in something, but have no responsibility or no say in it

a) follow something: like USF football, the Bulls Pen...

b) have no responsibility or no say in it: like USF football.

We can chirp all we want on the board, but it changes not one thing on Fowler Avenue. We have a limited say, at all (e.g., stop buying season tickets, cease donations, etc.) but for those who don't hold sway in some real position, we're all just sitting here watching the Saturday afternoon alternative to a movie. We don't like the plot, we don't like the cast, we don't like the ending. Samey, samey, G.I. 

Just because I follow it, that doesn't mean I'm somehow in love with it in perpetuity. The fan spectrum has a lot of range between endpoints. 😎 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  454
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So if fans/donors stopped contributing to USF athletics, do you think the AD would still be around to make the coaching decisions? 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

And that’s the tool that you use to cope with failure.  None of us have a say in the outcome of the game, but not all of us use that as a reason to be apathetic towards the outcome - or the greater program itself.  

You just said you go to games to “support the team.”  What are you supporting?  How will you know when your support is effective?  Or let me guess… It just doesn’t matter. It’s support for support sake?

Not going ape **** crazy after a loss doesn't mean I don't care about the outcome ..... not constantly whining about where we are conference-wise doesn't mean I don't want the program to be in a better one. You're constantly mistaking serenity for apathy ....

I care but I died two years ago and was revived.  It probably spoiled me for thinking that USF Football is the true source of my happiness.