• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golesh, Kelly emphasize building culture ahead of upcoming season - The Oracle

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

If you consistently win you have a good culture  and if you consistently lose you have a bad culture. You got to mold players into winners that give all every play and never quit. 

Wouldn’t that be the culture?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

How do we feel about “the intangibles”?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,621

2 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

The "winning is everything" mindset is driving the destruction of the sport.  Yes, I want to win.  But it seems a lot of our posters are gunshy or have PTSD about the word 'culture'.  Ok, we get it.  You've been traumatized.  Cyber-hugs to you.

You can win with a bad culture.  You can lose with a good culture.  Despite having a culture of integrity, accountability, other-focused play, and hard work, you need talent, good coaching, resources, etc.  You can win and be seen as a cheating, rotten program who turns out future felons.  You can lose but still be admired as a program.  You can influence the lives of many people in a positive, long term way or teach them that there are no consequences to crossing the values of the program (or society).  It all depends what is most important to you.  I understand that to some nothing matters besides winning.  I want wins as bad as the next fan (and they are going to come), but I realize all this sport does for young college aged kids who may not have grown up in a family environment that stressed integrity and all the rest of the elements of "Culture" that help shape lives.

When we start winning, I imagine the trauma will diminish.

Do you prefer being the worst team in the AAC and hanging out in the bottom for multiple years because the culture is good? Or do you prefer to have a coach that coaches guys into winners that prioritizes winning over being the nice guy everyone loves? We heard about of Scott greatly improved the culture and it got worse. We had defenders not even trying to cover their guys and just let guys run after the catch refusing to attempt to run them down? Any decent coach would bench those guys and not start them until they earned their spot back. The only way to truly improve a culture is teach players to be better and how to win.  Do you have to go 12-0 or win your division every season? No, but you should be competitive and hang in every conference game and win more games than you lose. Coaches are measured by wins, accomplishments, and losses not by their culture. Networks don't air the culture game of the week, they promote the biggest games involving the best matchups based on their play on the field.  Goach is selling his vision to recruits and hopefully they make it here accompanied with improved results on the field this year and the future. 

Edited by Outlaw

5 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

We heard about of Scott greatly improved the culture and it got worse.

You’d be making an assumption contradicted by the players themselves.  

Still, a great word vomit though.  

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

You’d be making an assumption contradicted by the players themselves.  

When Temple is dropping 50 on you and you have one fbs win in three seasons defining the culture anything short of failure , losing, and claiming there was a positive culture is just  toxic positivity. The only good that came out of last year was Byrum Brown and the firing of Jeff Scott a year too late and long overdue.

Edited by Outlaw

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Goach is selling his vision

Is this winning?  Because that’s what he should be doing, right?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Do you prefer being the worst team in the AAC and hanging out in the bottom for multiple years because the culture is good? Or do you prefer to have a coach that coaches guys into winners that prioritizes winning over being the nice guy everyone loves? We heard about of Scott greatly improved the culture and it got worse. We had defenders not even trying to cover their guys and just let guys run after the catch refusing to attempt to run them down? Any decent coach would bench those guys and not start them until they earned their spot back. The only way to truly improve a culture is teach players to be better and how to win.  Do you have to go 12-0 or win your division every season? No, but you should be competitive and hang in every conference game and win more games than you lose. Coaches are measured by wins, accomplishments, and losses not by their culture. Networks don't air the culture game of the week, they promote the biggest games involving the best matchups based on their play on the field.  Goach is selling his vision to recruits and hopefully they make it here accompanied with improved results on the field this year and the future.

I think you have college football mixed up with the NFL, which is understandable since there is not much difference anymore.  We're still in the business of building character.  I think they have pretty much finished that in the NFL.  You might enjoy the NFL better.

5 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

I think you have college football mixed up with the NFL, which is understandable since there is not much difference anymore.  We're still in the business of building character.  I think they have pretty much finished that in the NFL.  You might enjoy the NFL better.

If the goal isn't to win more games than you lose on the field then we might as well drop down to FCS or fold the program. Why even build a stadium if the goal is not to win?

19 minutes ago, Brad said:

How do we feel about “the intangibles”?

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Is this winning?  Because that’s what he should be doing, right?

He seems to have high energy and is a better recruiter.  Everything else is up in the air. All we can do is hope he is the best usf coach ever.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

Winning is the goal.  Culture is one of the means.  Necessary but insufficient.  I mentioned others.

However, a good culture building better young people yields more long term benefits.  Like I said, I understand that to some people winning is the only thing.  I'm just disagreeing with that and pointing out the big picture.

I'm not sure how that indicates that winning isn't important.  You are either setting up a false dichotomy or being obtuse.

• Upvote 1