• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls in the Draft

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,952
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

No Bulls taken in the draft. First time that's happened since 1999 and only the second time since 1981. 

super bummer

hoping for better bulls baseball ahead and getting back to where we historically have been. 

on a side note I watched Moneyball last night. amazing movie. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

No players drafted... no recruits drafted... abysmal record... Any one of these is out of the norm. All three at once is unparalleled in USF baseball history.

• Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'm a bit surprised no team took a flyer on Brutcher and Cantu.  Hopefully they come back for 1 more season.  Having to replace those 2 bats would be an issue.  The O was pretty good for the year, now we just need to get better and deeper in the Pitching depth and we can make a jump back to respectable in the middle of the conference

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

13 minutes ago, JoeB said:

I'm a bit surprised no team took a flyer on Brutcher and Cantu.  Hopefully they come back for 1 more season.  Having to replace those 2 bats would be an issue.  The O was pretty good for the year, now we just need to get better and deeper in the Pitching depth and we can make a jump back to respectable in the middle of the conference

I am not surprised on Brutcher. He looked like a complete totally different hitter at the plate this year then the previous seasons. He looked totally lost at times. You won't get drafted striking out as many times as he did this year. He struck out 86 times versus only getting 67 hits. That is not what scouts are looking for on a college hitter facing college pitching. He obviously has a very big hole in his swing which college pitchers are exploiting. Imagine facing pro pitching with better stuff and much better at finding hitters weaknesses.

Let's hope he can figure out that issue.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

From my understanding there weren't many eyes on Cantu.  The dip in power hurt Brutcher's stock.  I thought someone might take a late flyer on him.  Either way, the two of them coming back is good for the Bulls

2 minutes ago, Big_Hairy_Bull said:

I am not surprised on Brutcher. He looked like a complete totally different hitter at the plate this year then the previous seasons. He looked totally lost at times. You won't get drafted striking out as many times as he did this year. He struck out 86 times versus only getting 67 hits. That is not what scouts are looking for on a college hitter facing college pitching. He obviously has a very big hole in his swing which college pitchers are exploiting. Imagine facing pro pitching with better stuff and much better at finding hitters weaknesses.

Let's hope he can figure out that issue.

Power dip was the bigger issue.  I was told he worked on hitting more balls the other way to cut down on strikeouts, but that didn't work and the power wasn't the same.   Killed his draft stock

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Power dip was the bigger issue.  I was told he worked on hitting more balls the other way to cut down on strikeouts, but that didn't work and the power wasn't the same.   Killed his draft stock

We'll agree to disagree. Show me any player drafted this year that struckout more than the amount of hits that they got. You'll be hard pressed to find many if any. 

5 hours ago, Big_Hairy_Bull said:

We'll agree to disagree. Show me any player drafted this year that struckout more than the amount of hits that they got. You'll be hard pressed to find many if any. 

I didn't say he didn't strike out too much, but that wasn't new this year.   The dip in power is what killed his draft stock though.  And that was largely a result of him making changes in his approach to try and cut down on the strikeouts.