• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AROUND THE HORN

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

To:   "'C-lay-usf@southfloridabulls.com'" <C-lay-usf@southfloridabulls.com>

Subject:   RE: The Bowl game you should watch.

Date:   Thu 12/08/05 04:16 PM

I'm on the bull-wagon, dude....I LOVE your baseball team..you have some terrific prospects, one of them was even mentioned in Baseball America this week...but 6-5 in a bowl game?...c'mon!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

My email:

Bill... what I bullieve C-Lay was trying to say to you in his email was even though we are 6-5, we are a program in it's fourth official year of I-A ball, and ninth year overall as a football playing university. We know 6-5 isn't pretty, but what about when we got passed up for a bowl during our 9-2 season in 2002 when we lost to Oklahoma and Arkansas. In 2001, no bowl, yet we went 8-3. In 2003, we go 7-4, no bowl again. We had our worst record last season at 4-7... but we rebounded, and due to conference-bowl tie in's, we finally get some love and a bowl game.

I saw that you showed some love to Eddie Cardieri and our basebulls... that is one program that really needs to be scrutinized heavily. We are in a baseball and football heavy state... it is very discontenting as a Bulls alumni/former athlete to see our baseball team not competiting in the NCAA tourney year in and year out. I would bullieve Eddie's job would be on the hot seat this year (it is year 26 for him), if we don't make some significant strides. We have talent coming every year to our baseball team and then heading off to the majors... Devon Ivany, Myron Leslie, etc... we should be a major player on the college scene in baseball without any excuses. Hell... I have season tickets to the Washington Nationals... I never played baseball in college, but my love for the game will never fade. And welcome to DC Soriano... almost as big as getting the hot tempered Jose Guillen last season.

Anyways, those are my brief thoughts. Seeing an upstart USF football program finally playing in a bowl game means so much to many of us across the nation (I'm in Scottsdale, AZ, bleeding Green and Gold for everyone to see). And the best reason to watch this game is to see if true frosh QB Carlton Hill gets to start his first game (he will see major minutes now)... the kid can cut on the dime and his Houdini like ability makes Marcus Vick look average at best when he is in the pocket avoiding the rush. His arm is developing... but give the frosh some time and the world will see why Miami recruited him so hard. Catch the game for that reason alone and maybe you'll be surprised by what you see... and if anything... the game is at 8:30 AM PST... grab your son and have a father-son moment watching the game while you send your daughters and wife off to the mall to spend your hard earned cash.

Thanks for your time and go Bulls!

Terry Lucas

USF Class of 2004

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  286

The ridicule USF is taking is a step forward in my opinion. We're getting recognition now, this is good! The truth is hardly anyone (except ourselves) knows how good our team is and how promising the future looks.

To use an analogy, we're a small cap stock with huge growth rates, but the big analyts aren't covering us yet, hence, we're not getting the recognition we deserve. We're being punished for being young and under the radar....but it won't last forever. It can't, not if we keep doing what we're doing.

This is our first bowl, don't let the haters spoil it.  ;)

Rueben~ Won't be watching Ark St & So. Miss.

Well said Ruben, I'v often told my friends and acquaintances the same thing, "we're a small cap stock with huge growth rates."   :D  I agree we have great potential, but I'm not so sure even we know how good this team really is.  I guess we're 6-5 good.  We certainly would have been better with a more productive qb though.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

wow, we just got blasted on around the horn. did anyone catch that. Plaschke, that guy with the lisp, said watching the MCC bowl would be a joke, a combined record of 12-10. He asked, "Are we really gonna watch those games, lets get this guys e-mail.

Stick to PTI...at least they are funny and somewhat intelligent.

Around the Horn reminds of a Kindergarten Class.

Watch the adults instead.

KL

Here's his response to my email... at least the guy responds to his constituentcy... gotta give him credit where credit is due.

Bill's response:

great stuff, terry...thanks for sharing..I have a buddy on the faculty at USF, so feel free to keep me updated on the alumni perception of the sports program..the baseball team has it very tough, playing on that little league field, while the football team plays at R.James, right?...anyway, thanks for the info.

Did you guys notice how Bill doesn't capitalize anything like Smazza...it's an LA thing... and you all thought it was Smazza and bad grammar. This guy was up for a Pultizer... there you go... Smazza is a soon to be Pultizer winner!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Son of a Pulitzer !

:o

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

Here's his response to my email... at least the guy responds to his constituentcy... gotta give him credit where credit is due.

Bill's response:

great stuff, terry...thanks for sharing..I have a buddy on the faculty at USF, so feel free to keep me updated on the alumni perception of the sports program..the baseball team has it very tough, playing on that little league field, while the football team plays at R.James, right?...anyway, thanks for the info.

He is friends with Dr. Richard Wilber who teaches Mass. Comm. and Journalism classes at USF.  I was in his class this semester and he said that Plaschke was a former student of his.

So he should be pretty familiar with the program.  

But, to be honest.  Other than the BCS bowl games does anybody really watch random bowl games unless they have a rooting interest or a betting interest.  I usually watch the Outback Bowl, because its local.

I could see why anyone not involved with USF or NC State wouldn't care about this game.  But, we care and that is really all that matters.  

Guest Sprtsfn627

Based on Plaschke's responses, I'll let him off with a warning ;)

He does come off as annoying on the show though...not sure why really, he just kinda does