• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2000+ tix sold thru Wednesday & Bowl $$$

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Days Won:  0

Amber, I hate to tell you this, but the Oracle charges way too much money for its advertisements. It will print nice, full page color for articles like Montage (sp?) which only draw the casual reader, yet it will charge hundreds of dollars for a USF-based organization to do the same for a single day. I understand the Oracle has costs - but when it makes the kind of yearly money (around a million dollars, if I remember correctly, though I probably don't and you can correct me) that it does (which is part of the reason the SG stopped funding it), I think the Oracle could afford to cut a break to Athletics in the name of school spirit and donation in order to get the word out about sport events and Bowl Games.  

Since the Oracle doesn't do this, Athletics looks for more cost-effective ways to get the word out. Besides, if the Oracle really cared, they could print up whatever advertisements they want on their own.

1. Our rates are a LOT cheaper than St. Pete times and the Tribune, and the athletics department DOES "get a break" since they do get an on campus rate (which is really cheap) for being an on-campus org.

2. It isn't our job to market this bowl game for the athletics department-we have a BUSINESS to run. We had 2 stories last week and also had a thing on the top of the sports page every day last week.

3. I'm not here to argue whether or not you like our newspaper the point is is that the athletics department isn't marketing to the students and they're gonna wanna know why the student's didn't show up to the game on the 31st.

the St Pete Times is located on EVERY corner on campus....for FREE.

and i bet you $100 more people read the Oracle over the St. Pete Times...

To think, that someone should have to PAY THEM to get the word out that our Bulls are in their first ever bowl game?

PAY for advertisement. It's a travesty that the Oracle isn't rushing to do it on its own. As a matter of fact, I'm going to write some E-mails to a few folks about this.....

...you're kidding right? heaven forbid you PAY for a service/product.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

3. I'm not here to argue whether or not you like our newspaper the point is is that the athletics department isn't marketing to the students and they're gonna wanna know why the student's didn't show up to the game on the 31st.

There will only be two reasons the students don't show up on the 31st ..... financial constraints or apathy.

ok let me rephrase....

they're gonna wanna know why a LOT of students/staff bought tickets from ticketmaster rather than from school (like myself) and it's because they didn't know that you need to buy them from the school in order for it to "count"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

ok let me rephrase....

they're gonna wanna know why a LOT of students/staff bought tickets from ticketmaster rather than from school (like myself) and it's because they didn't know that you need to buy them from the school in order for it to "count"

From that standpoint, I can kind of see your argument ........ although how much trouble is it to put that info in the articles?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

the point is is that the athletics department isn't marketing to the students and they're gonna wanna know why the student's didn't show up to the game on the 31st.

What would it take, I am begging on bended knee, tell me to constitute "marketing to the students"? How is it that people who never attended USF - walk up to me at work and ask about the forthcoming bowl game?

How can it be that the kid who bagged my groceries on Saturday knew about the bowl game in Charlotte, yet allegedly countless thousands of USF undergrads have this information hidden from them?

I agree with Triple...the only reason students won't attend will be because of financial constraints or apathy.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is one reason why the Athletic Dept. doesn't advertise in the Oracle. The students aren't where the money is at. Despite the lengths this athletic department has come tehy still are operating in the extreme RED.

They don't see it as an investment to get students to buy tickets as it is for the general public in the area. It is the same reason they don't advertise for regular season games or other sporting events, students get in free. They figure why advertise if they get in free.

It is unfair, because there are a lot of students who don't know when certain events are, or where to get tickets to the bowl game and it stinks. The school goes to where they can get their most money.

eh..ok...everyone and their mom knows about the bowl game---so why all the fuss about the oracle not doing their job by having it in the paper every day  ???

..and why does coca-cola advertise at all since everyone (including the guy in the produce depart.) knows about it....

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Despite the lengths this athletic department has come tehy still are operating in the extreme RED.

link??

Dept. of Edu. reports would disagree

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I agree wooly, although I have a problem with the attitude at the Oracle. It is really bothersome that the school paper somehow has this disconnect with the rest of the university. Maybe it's a buisiness (seems kinda stretching it though) but it is part of the university and ALL aspects of the university should be working together and doing everything humanly possible to benefit each other. After all, the better the athletic program, or the better the paper, or classes or performing arts or whatever then the better the perception of the university as a whole...and guess what? That means the better respected that little sheet of paper you hang on your wall will be. For any part of the university to put themselves above the rest, well that does a dis-service to every USF student and alumn.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

You know...back in the dark ages pre-internet I can see that.

However - and just for future reference - http://gobulls.usf.edu/Sports/main.asp is a pretty good source of information on USF Athletic Events (including schedules). I would assume that anyone with access to the internet - as is common with most students - would be able to find this site within just a few clicks of the mouse... 8)

If you can find out when your favorite band is playing in Ybor or when "Ladies Night two-for-one drinks" is...you can find the football schedule.  ;)