• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conwell enters the portal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 hours ago, smazza said:

get used to it

usf is a portal school

we need a new president and ad

let's hope so. UConn lost 4 guys to the portal last year. Only had 6 players on active roster. Replaced them with 4 from the portal and won national championship.

TCU lost 15 players after going 5-7 replaced them with 13 portal transfers and played for national championship.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

nah modern game isn't played with big post guys. they clog up the lane. I liked Tchewa but he is old school.

you need fives that can hit the 3.

Might be right. Looks like Kennesaw State's biggest guy to get over 10 MPG last year was 6'8 264. Coach might be trying to build a team that can run and push the pace.

The 16 seed that beat Purdue and 7'4 Edey had nobody touch the court over 6'6. Going small and fast can work.

5 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Might be right. Looks like Kennesaw State's biggest guy to get over 10 MPG last year was 6'8 264. Coach might be trying to build a team that can run and push the pace.

The 16 seed that beat Purdue and 7'4 Edey had nobody touch the court over 6'6. Going small and fast can work.

Most teams are going away from the center playing with his back to the basket. Look at san diego state's top 5 in terms of minutes played. 4 guards and one forward (6'7"). FAUs top 5 all guards.

I'm not saying we won't miss him but that old school style is going the way of the dinosaur.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly I wasn’t that high on  Russell Tchewa this is coming from someone that watched every game, seems like he couldn’t jump over a can. He missed a lot close shots and he barely ever had blocks, look at the stats. 

I much rather have a big man that can throw it down and play good defense. If he tries to go to any big school he’ll be a back up.

Edited by Cmr3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,033
  • Days Won:  10

1 minute ago, Cmr3 said:

Honestly I wasn’t that high on  Russell Tchewa this is coming from someone that watched every game, seems like he couldn’t jump over a can. He missed a lot close shots and he barely ever had blocks, look at the stats. 

I much rather have a big man that can throw it down and places good defense. 

He was our second best player last year ( in m opinion). If we can get an upgrade through the transfer portal; great. But until then I consider losing Tchewa as a major blow on our chances next year.

12 minutes ago, Cmr3 said:

I much rather have a big man that can throw it down and play good defense. If he tries to go to any big school he’ll be a back up.

At USF he has 20 total blocks across 1927 minutes. That is beyond pathetic for a 7 footer

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

He was our second best player last year ( in m opinion). If we can get an upgrade through the transfer portal; great. But until then I consider losing Tchewa as a major blow on our chances next year.

He wasn’t very good, he was decent at scoring down low only if he caught it close to the rim with in a couple feet. If he ever had to post up a player from let’s say 10 feet  and back them down he missed the shot most of the time. Also, I don’t know how many time someone passed him the ball and instead of dunking it he would try to lay it in and miss it. 

cory walker in my opinion  is way better option and didn’t really get a fair chance with Gregory, he would do some dumb stuff here and there but with the right coach he should be ok. I also like the other freshman center, forgot his name. He might of had more blocks in the couple games he played then tchewa. 

Edited by Cmr3

9 minutes ago, Cmr3 said:

He wasn’t very good, he was decent at scoring down low only if he caught it close to the rim with in a couple feet. If he ever had to post up a player from let’s say 10 feet  and back them down he missed it the shot most of the time. Also, I don’t know how many time someone passed him the ball and instead of dunking it he would try to lay it in and miss it. 

cory walker in my opinion  is way better option and didn’t really get a fair chance with Gregory, he would do some dumb stuff here and there but with the right coach he should be ok. I also like the other freshman center, forgot his name. He might of had more blocks in the couple games he played then tchewa. 

Dok definitely has the potential to be more of a modern rim-running big that can shoot 3's on offense and rim protect on defense.

In 80 minutes Dok had 5 blocks, in 941 minutes Russ had 8 blocks. There's a reason he had offers from Oregon State and LSU. Lets see if a different coach can tap his potential a little better.

Edited by bulloni

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

nah modern game isn't played with big post guys. they clog up the lane. I liked Tchewa but he is old school.

you need fives that can hit the 3.

I love the way UConn uses the bigs, same as Gonzaga.  Just having a bunch of guys chucking 3 pointers is a recipe for a <= .500 squad.

Tchewa was average at best post player, but the best that we had.

54 minutes ago, Brad said:

I love the way UConn uses the bigs, same as Gonzaga.  Just having a bunch of guys chucking 3 pointers is a recipe for a <= .500 squad.

Tchewa was average at best post player, but the best that we had.

Yes they both have ultra talented big men that can run the floor and handle the ball. UConn's knocked down 2 threes to start the game against Miami. Timee could drive the ball with the best of them. They don't have to play with their backs to the basket(although they can). They don't clog the lanes. They can play as a stretch 5 and still be a threat on offense.

Tchewa was limited to low post play and was slow up the court. I appreciated his time here but he is not the same athlete that Gonzaga and UConn have.

If the coach doesn't run his offense through a post player then it wouldn't make sense for him to stay.