• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sources: Kennesaw State's Amir Abdur-Rahim is finalizing a deal to be the next head coach at South Florida.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

As long as this is the road to the Final Four, I am ok with it…

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

AAR seems like a "culture guy" so those of you that disbelieve in creating a winning culture, you may want to step off the USF Basketball trolley now.  However, you disbelievers are right - it would be downright foolish and idiotic to have any comfort with a Willie Taggart like 3-4 year process with College Basketball.  Very good to Great coaches don't take 4 years to have a stellar season.  AAR is a guy with little experience, but some success.  Let's see what happens.

Really can't afford  a 3 year plan. If we keep losing in a few years it might be Tulane, Memphis, and FAU to the Big 12 instead of Tulane, Memphis ,and USF to the Big 12. The time to start winning is now, not 3-4 years from now.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  692
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

ChatGPT 4.0 says this is the right hire. I for one believe our AI overlords. 

Please provide speculative records for USF for each of the next five seasons including your best guess at any post season accolades.

Given the historical data and considering Amir Abdur-Rahim's coaching record, here is a speculative projection of USF's men's basketball team records and potential postseason accolades for each of the next five seasons. Please note that these predictions are purely speculative and may not accurately represent the team's actual performance:

1. Year 1 (2023-24):

• Overall record: 16-15 (.516)
    • Conference record: 8-10
    • Postseason: No postseason accolades
  2. Year 2 (2024-25):

• Overall record: 18-13 (.581)
    • Conference record: 10-8
    • Postseason: NIT appearance (early round exit)
  3. Year 3 (2025-26):

• Overall record: 21-10 (.677)
    • Conference record: 12-6
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Round of 64 or Round of 32)
  4. Year 4 (2026-27):

• Overall record: 23-8 (.742)
    • Conference record: 13-5
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Round of 32 or Sweet 16)
  5. Year 5 (2027-28):

• Overall record: 24-7 (.774)
    • Conference record: 14-4
    • Postseason: NCAA Tournament appearance (Sweet 16 or possibly Elite 😎

These projections assume steady improvement in USF's men's basketball team's performance under Amir Abdur-Rahim's leadership. However, please keep in mind that these predictions are purely speculative and many factors, including player recruitment, injuries, and overall team dynamics, could influence the team's actual performance.

If in year 1 we have an above .500 record Kelly may just give him at a minimum a 10 year extension.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

If he is a homerun hire as you say he is players will stay and great new players will come in through the transfer portal,and we will be competitive right away.

When it comes to this hire I so hope you are right and I am wrong and implore anyone to make me eat crow when we finally get back to the NCAAT. 

Such short term thinking. Gregory made improvements in his second season (most wins in USF history)... and we know how reliable that was.

This is a home run because he will build USF into a successful program... not because he might be a flash in the pan.

Sure, after building up USF over four to five years, he might be on some short lists for other jobs... but that is a good thing, right?

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

This is the coach USF needs.  Kelly wasn't fast enough for you, but he did this one RIGHT.

Does he cry every time he talks?

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

43 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

As long as this is the road to the Final Four, I am ok with it…

Road to the Final Four? I'll take the road back to the CBI at this point.

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

I will also say that our NIL situation would make bringing the best transfers challenging for any coach.   USF will be rebuilt with high school recruits much more than transfers.

Of course USF fans don't want to hear that it will take 2-3 seasons to get USF back into post-season form.

Democratic National Convention Reality GIF by Election 2016

• Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

This is a home run because he will build USF into a successful program

Well OK then.  Good to know.

crystal ball cmt GIF by The Ed Bassmaster Show

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Such short term thinking. Gregory made improvements in his second season (most wins in USF history)... and we know how reliable that was.

This is a home run because he will build USF into a successful program... not because he might be a flash in the pan.

Sure, after building up USF over four to five years, he might be on some short lists for other jobs... but that is a good thing, right?

Coaches come in all the time and win right away.  Again I hope you are right, but there is nothing in his resume that makes me believe that he is the one. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

2 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I will also say that our NIL situation would make bringing the best transfers challenging for any coach.   USF will be rebuilt with high school recruits much more than transfers.

Of course USF fans don't want to hear that it will take 2-3 seasons to get USF back into post-season form.

Democratic National Convention Reality GIF by Election 2016

You mean like last year when we brought in a transfer?    The reality is MK butt fumbled another hire, that's the reality

Edited by olafberserker