• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brey to the Atlanta Hawks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

According to Thamel, Brey said he was going to take some time off and pursue television. You said Brey had the Atlanta gig as a fall back job from the beginning ..... if that's true, Brey lied to Thamel about taking time off.

I dont know.  Was Thamel one of.the guys saying Brey would be announced as our coach by Tuesday?  You could be onto something.  🙄

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,615
  • Days Won:  424

31 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

I dont know.  Was Thamel one of.the guys saying Brey would be announced as our coach by Tuesday?  You could be onto something.  🙄

Exactly. Brey may have been lying to multiple people .....

19 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Exactly. Brey may have been lying to multiple people .....

LOL, have no idea how you made that connection

Except him and Kelly said the same thing ... interview but no offer

There was speculation before Brey was connected to USF that he would go to the Hawks to coach with Quinn Snyder .... hence the "fall back job" statement.  Point was he didn't need to "interview" with USF if he wasn't interested in coming here and he knows what it takes to be a successful college coach.

34 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

There was speculation before Brey was connected to USF that he would go to the Hawks to coach with Quinn Snyder .... hence the "fall back job" statement.  Point was he didn't need to "interview" with USF if he wasn't interested in coming here and he knows what it takes to be a successful college coach.

Not disputing that at all so not sure why you feel the need to keep repeating it. Point is it appears they were close, official offer or not, but somewhere in the discussions it fell apart ......

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1205731766.jpg.jpg

Mike Brey was the highest compensated Notre Dame Fighting Irish coach in the 2018-2019 fiscal year, according to tax documents released today by the university. But...

So, based on this, a few years ago Brey was making what we were paying xCBG. Let's assume it went up a few hundred K since then year over year. So he's making, ballpark, $2.2m this year (10%ish escalating raise each year). I'm going out on a limb and saying he didn't expect to get the same from any MBB school after being fired/not fired from Notre Dame. Argue with me if you want, but I'll die on the hill of you're wrong if you think he was shopping himself for what ND was paying him. But, I'll bite and assume he wanted exactly what his ND contract was. That means if we lost him over money, we balked at paying him $600k-ish more than a guy we were paying to be the basement of the AAC. We thought Brey wasn't worth $600,000 more than xCBG's results. 

No idea if money was the issue. But, if it was money... yikes. $600,000 is like 1% of our athletic budget, right?

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not disputing that at all so not sure why you feel the need to keep repeating it. Point is it appears they were close, official offer or not, but somewhere in the discussions it fell apart ......

That's speculation.  What was said is Kelly interviewed him and no offer was made.  That's why I "keep bringing it up".  that's the point.  You don't bring in Mike Brey for an "interview" and not make an offer.

14 minutes ago, JTrue said:
1205731766.jpg.jpg

Mike Brey was the highest compensated Notre Dame Fighting Irish coach in the 2018-2019 fiscal year, according to tax documents released today by the university. But...

So, based on this, a few years ago Brey was making what we were paying xCBG. Let's assume it went up a few hundred K since then year over year. So he's making, ballpark, $2.2m this year (10%ish escalating raise each year). I'm going out on a limb and saying he didn't expect to get the same from any MBB school after being fired/not fired from Notre Dame. Argue with me if you want, but I'll die on the hill of you're wrong if you think he was shopping himself for what ND was paying him. But, I'll bite and assume he wanted exactly what his ND contract was. That means if we lost him over money, we balked at paying him $600k-ish more than a guy we were paying to be the basement of the AAC. We thought Brey wasn't worth $600,000 more than xCBG's results. 

No idea if money was the issue. But, if it was money... yikes. $600,000 is like 1% of our athletic budget, right?

What other issue could there be?

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

With all this drama about a coach we didn't hire, I'm thinking this was a good pass...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

That's speculation.  What was said is Kelly interviewed him and no offer was made.  That's why I "keep bringing it up".  that's the point.  You don't bring in Mike Brey for an "interview" and not make an offer.

Speculation based on an ND Insider article by someone who talked with Brey and was under the impression that he was coming here and from a Bulls Insider who obviously had someone connected with USF telling him the same thing ...... and do you seriously think that there's not a way to discuss money without a formal offer being made? Bottom line is that we're not going to know what really happened unless it comes directly from Brey or Kelly ......... and even then who knows. Brey obviously lied about taking time off and investigating the media side when he had the Atlanta job waiting for him. :mellow:

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

30 minutes ago, Triple B said:

obviously had someone connected with USF telling him the same thing ......

Really?

31 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Bottom line is that we're not going to know what really happened unless it comes directly from Brey or Kelly ......... and even then who knows.

They know how to avoid FOIAs.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

9 hours ago, olafberserker said:

One thing I am wondering are interviews taking place in person, or through zoom, phone,....? If these interviews are not being done in person it would explain why there are so few leaks about what's taking place behind the scenes. Before you would have reports regarding this person was in the building, or that person is in Tampa, but we are not seeing any of that.

Edited by belgianbull