• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gary Patterson

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

I skimmed through it and got to the part you must be referring to.  I wasn't aware of that.  I just remember him being fired and something seemed off.  I think we also need to remember that we will never find the perfect coach or perfect person.  Aiming for that may land you with another person that doens't know football.  I'm not for hiring the immoral or unethical necessarily, but being able to see a man for what he is...redeemed, eveolved, self-improved, forgiven.  The whole deal about needing an unblemished history eliminates many including the dude from FAMU.  And when you make the hiring about the importance of an unblemished past as soon as you hire that guy, people will come out of the woodwork to accuse him of something......Be careful, you may be inviting Jeff Scott to come back.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Bull94 said:

no doubt. my daughter won't be able to get far enough away from here while my son will want to be nearby. This area is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. Leavitt and Taggart did well by convincing top recruits who wanted to stay close to home to choose USF. It's why it's essential to be able to recruit the middle part of this state (as well as south).

Here is ESPNs breakdown of best counties in the country for football recruits. Manatee is #7 and Hillsborough is #8.

r322572_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Where do college football's best players come from? Like in an election, winning in the battleground counties can produce classes full of recruits that make the difference in...

Reading this kind of stuff angers me. THIS is the reason we should never be at the bottom of the AAC, let alone for three years. You literary don't have to leave the county to get great football talent. It shouldn't be that hard to succeed here as long as you can convince some of that talent to stay home.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I skimmed through it and got to the part you must be referring to.  I wasn't aware of that.  I just remember him being fired and something seemed off.  I think we also need to remember that we will never find the perfect coach or perfect person.  Aiming for that may land you with another person that doens't know football.  I'm not for hiring the immoral or unethical necessarily, but being able to see a man for what he is...redeemed, eveolved, self-improved, forgiven.  The whole deal about needing an unblemished history eliminates many including the dude from FAMU.  And when you make the hiring about the importance of an unblemished past as soon as you hire that guy, people will come out of the woodwork to accuse him of something......Be careful, you may be inviting Jeff Scott to come back.

I think with the jeff scott hire,and even skip holtz and strong,  we tried to become something that we are not.

We are not a white collar program full of choir boys that get straight a's and that don't curse and say yes ma'am no sir..

We are a blue collar program with overlooked kids that are gritty, tough and maybe even had a rough upbringing.  I think both Leavitt and Taggart (even with his corny work shirt)embraced this.

I want someone that doesn't think we need to be like notre dame. it's ok to have a flawed coach that has made mistakes and flawed players that aren't perfect either.

12 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Reading this kind of stuff angers me. THIS is the reason we should never be at the bottom of the AAC, let alone for three years. You literary don't have to leave the county to get great football talent. It shouldn't be that hard to succeed here as long as you can convince some of that talent to stay home.

Leavitt and Taggart both proved that you don't need to go far to recruit very good players. selling players that you can play close to home in front of family and friends is a huge advantage. we need someone that can relate to the kids and convince them to stay home.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

Leavitt and Taggart both proved that you don't need to go far to recruit very good players. selling players that you can play close to home in front of family and friends is a huge advantage. we need someone that can relate to the kids and convince them to stay home.

Neither of those coaches recruited to here in today's recruiting climate. You've got to find to someone to relate to the kids AND navigate the NIL. Patterson didn't sound like he adapted well ..... This is a pretty tricky aspect of this next hire.

NIL probably noticeably impacts a small % of "student-athletes", even at a larger school.  Now those schools that have boosters gathering millions from donors and offer $X per football player is a different story.

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Neither of those coaches recruited to here in today's recruiting climate. You've got to find to someone to relate to the kids AND navigate the NIL. Patterson didn't sound like he adapted well ..... This is a pretty tricky aspect of this next hire.

agreed. I think Saban and some others will have trouble navigating NIL. The younger coaches will adapt easier.

the obstacles are the same for all the coaches in our conference though. I still think we have a geographical advantage over them

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

NIL probably noticeably impacts a small % of "student-athletes", even at a larger school.  Now those schools that have boosters gathering millions from donors and offer $X per football player is a different story.

I guess I misunderstood "NIL". I thought that covered what you described in the second sentence ..... that's gonna be the problem. We're a long way from competing to "buy" higher profile recruits but that other thing may hamper getting the sleeper type players we've gotten in the past .....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

"Much of Patterson’s past few years point to a coach who expects or even demands control, first of his players and even, to some extent, of the media covering his team. That playbook worked for a long time in college football—Bear Bryant, an autocrat who built a dynasty at Alabama, may be the best example—but I don’t think it works for most coaches in the 2020s. The sport is changing rapidly, in ways that will keep shifting power away from coaches and toward players. Players can now transfer not just without their schools’ permission, but without sitting out a season, as used to be a customary deterrent. They might soon have employee status and even form unions. Coaches continually have to re-recruit players who are already on their teams, giving them reasons not just to go to a school but to stay there. Patterson never talked like someone who was all that interested in meeting players where they were." & "Patterson was an ideal coach for his time. That time is fading quickly."

That's something to consider, how the game is changing - and has changed over the past two decades - when it comes to hiring the next coach. 

from previous post: https://slate.com/culture/2021/11/tcu-gary-patterson-resigns-fired-big-12.html

So hire someone familiar with union negotiations and pampering players?

Could go downhill fast.  I still hope common sense can prevail.