• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Something That Bugs Me/Many Others

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

18 minutes ago, Boomer said:

By “the world” you mean future coaches you may want to lure someday. The problem is that recruits only have a few years of eligibility, and I can’t imagine a program having this much patience is attractive to them. 

The reverse is true... schools who change coaches too quickly also don't get the chance to build relationships with players.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

I saw no coaching deficiencies yesterday. What I saw were missed tackles, a bad turnover by the backup quarterback, a pretty poor secondary outside of Amaris Brown (there’s the coaching problem if there is one), and some talent deficiencies. The staff needs to recruit better.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I saw no coaching deficiencies yesterday. What I saw were missed tackles, a bad turnover by the backup quarterback, a pretty poor secondary outside of Amaris Brown (there’s the coaching problem if there is one), and some talent deficiencies. The staff needs to recruit better.

The easiest and best way to do this is to spend the money on NIL and not gamble on hopes and dreams of the right coach having the right visions and facilities to the right recruits at the right time just to get a year or two of winning so that coach can move on and the wheel start over again with bigger and better facilities and higher paid coaches.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

13 hours ago, sparkybull said:

USF is now 1-24 (or 23, I lost count lmfao) against FBS opponents since 2020. I cannot imagine another major program that would endure this level of consistent failure without making a coaching change. But we.... we gave an EXTENSION to this coach even when he was essentially winless and unproven under the guise of stability.

• we also gave an extension to a MBB coach who led our team to the worst 3 point shot % in the nation - dead last #350 something 

What bugs me is that USF is doing something no program (that takes itself seriously) would be doing.

After Marcus Freeman struggled in the first few games as ND coach, people were calling for him to be fired. At ND, winning is the expectation, and you wont last more than one season with the Irish if you cant win multiple games. At Nebraska, Frost was pulling out some wins which kept him afloat, but the program wasted no time this season to cut him off because enough was enough. ASU fired Herm Edwards after an embarrassing loss, even though just last season they were in the top 25 (but, had recruiting scandal issues) - they know their worth, and they said "enough is enough".

They all have some sort of standards. Even a 6 win season isnt good enough.

Here at USF, 1 FBS win over 3 seasons is clearly enough, as long as extracurricular variables such as "culture" are in place.

Again, it bugs me that USF basically has no standards in keeping a 1-24* against FBS coach. we're okay with losing if that means we have stability.

I could go on and on - it doesnt solve anything. But this continued investment in a coach that clearly has no idea what he is doing is unacceptable.

USF is in a very, very bad place until CJS leaves - or we suddenly win more than 6 games. :04-rock:

NOTE: i'm ok with the concept of a rebuild season. I can accept a season that is sort of rough but with good wins like MOST teams do. however for 3 seasons we have not been able to win. there is no rebuild, there is only regression, and nothing anyone argues on the contrary can be correct, because I will just send you to this link: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-florida/index.html

usf doesnt have 10 million to pay him

it was dumb to give him an extension but he  wasnt dumb to expect it

he needs to turn it around next year. i would bring in as many good jc players as possible if i was him. if doesnt make sense to bring in high school players at this point

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

the first drive when you needed a yard for a first down. calling for a pass behind the line of scrimmage was a bad call.

but for the most part you are correct

marsh was very bad

7 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

I'm not really plugged into the thinking behind extensions. Part of me wants to think that you give a coach an extension to lock them up for future seasons (e.g., we believe you'll do great things, so we want to extend the current agreement and then, at some point in the future, we'll negotiate a new contract) based on results. If that's the case, why would you give a coach with no real track record an extension? I don't know what Scott's contract is structured like, vis-a-vis buyout dollars, but I think it might be, for USF, more poison pill than anything. P5 schools can write checks for millions of dollars to shuffle a non-performing coach out the door, but apparently, we can't. Or won't.  Don't know the reason.

Do I think he'll be fired before the end of the season? No, I don't think so. 

There's another thread on here with a line like "the best you can be..." or "the best you can get" or words to that effect. USF may not be in a position to write the sort of checks that get the attention of coaches with proven track records who WANT TO coach in the G5. So, do we rely on dumb luck in the hiring process and hope that the only guy who filled out an application works out? 'Cause if this is the result of our USF Football Coach Apprenticeship Program (USFCAP), I don't like the model. Just not seeing the ROI. 

Then again, we never really set the world on fire with our basketball program either, so maybe - just maybe - our fate is athletic mediocrity, and we just have to accept it. Hard to say. :angry:

CORRECTIONJeff Scott buyout at USF

i find this hard to believe that the buy out is 192K

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, smazza said:

i find this hard to believe that the buy out is 192K

That’s because it isn’t 

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

The problem is that when you a program that had zero infrastructure, on a commuter campus... who we had as head coach was everything

Because it was the ONLY thing...

The program was originally built around Leavitt. No IPF, no decent locker room, no OCS... Leavitt

Add 19 years under Caster (who didn't want football), and then we lose Leavitt halfway through her tenure

We just spent 2 million updating the locker room, we just finished the IPF, the OCS is coming....

Which is perfect for the climate of college football now. We are in a bottom rung conference, where coaches go 1 of 2 ways - fired for poor performance, or leave after a couple years once the program gets average (Taggert). 

We made the mistake of building our football program around the coach. But coaches come and go!

And there are over 100 colleges above us, and NFL jobs above us, that they are eye'ing the instant they start here. 

Leavitt wanted to build something HERE at USF...

But none of these new coaches shared his same mentality, and we will never have that again. 

UCF proved this.... they proved that if you build the physical infrastructure (even with losing seasons), as coaches come and go, your program's traditions and infrastructure remain intact.

99% of what you see at UCF, was planned and built during terrible, embarssing seasons... but it was built. They built it! They built the infrastructure  and they built the traditions

You can laugh all you want at the bounce house, but we'll NEVER play OUR bowl game here, there like they did here at Raymond James. 

Knowing now... that coaches are only going to be here at USF for 2-3 years max.. now we can focus on the TANGIBLE things that ensure success. Culture, infrastructure, brand, partnerships, etc

In the next 10 years, we will have 3-5 different coaches.... in the next 15 years, we will have 4-6 different coaches... in the next 20 years, we will have 5-10 different coaches. Over the next 30 years, we will have 7-10 different coaches

The coaches are going to constantly come and go. If they suck, they are fired. If they are good, they move up. Mark my words, no one will stay at USF longer than 4 years for the life of this program.. it'll never happen.

So knowing this, infrastructure is EVERYTHING. Brand is EVERYTHING. Traditions are EVERYTHING.. you can't establish any of those, under a President who doesn't want football (Castor), using a rented stadium, practicing on the IM fields. 

USF in 10 years will drastically different than we are now. We are basically a 4 year old program

Year 1 - Castor retires from USF

Year 2 - massive renovation and upgrade to the football locker rooms

Year 3 - IPF begins construction

Year 4 - OCS is being planned

There is no coicidence.. Castor didn't want ANY of that, and it all took place IMMEDIATELY after she left

Edited by MikePhillips

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

49 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

The problem is that when you a program that had zero infrastructure, on a commuter campus... who we had as head coach was everything

The program was originally built around Leavitt. No IPF, no decent locker room, no OCS... Leavitt

Add 19 years under Caster (who didn't want football), and then we lose Leavitt halfway through her tenure

We just spent 2 million updating the locker room, we just finished the IPF, the OCS is coming....

Which is perfect for the climate of college football now. We are in a bottom rung conference, where coaches go 1 of 2 ways - fired for poor performance, or leave after a couple years once the program gets average (Taggert). 

We made the mistake of building our football program around the coach. But coaches come and go!

And there are over 100 colleges above us, and NFL jobs above us, that they are eye'ing the instant they start here. 

But none of these new coaches shared his same mentality, and we will never have that again. 

UCF proved this.... they proved that if you build the physical infrastructure (even with losing seasons), as coaches come and go, your program's traditions and infrastructure remain intact.

99% of what you see at UCF, was planned and built during terrible, embarssing seasons... but it was built. They built it! They built the infrastructure  and they built the traditions

You can laugh all you want at the bounce house, but we'll NEVER play OUR bowl game here, there like they did here at Raymond James. 

Knowing now... that coaches are only going to be here at USF for 2-3 years max.. now we can focus on the TANGIBLE things that ensure success. Culture, infrastructure, brand, partnerships, etc

In the next 10 years, we will have 3-5 different coaches.... in the next 15 years, we will have 4-6 different coaches... in the next 20 years, we will have 5-10 different coaches. Over the next 30 years, we will have 7-10 different coaches

The coaches are going to constantly come and go. If they suck, they are fired. If they are good, they move up. Mark my words, no one will stay at USF longer than 4 years for the life of this program.. it'll never happen.

So knowing this, infrastructure is EVERYTHING. Brand is EVERYTHING. Traditions are EVERYTHING.. you can't establish any of those, under a President who doesn't want football (Castor), using a rented stadium, practicing on the IM fields. 

USF in 10 years will drastically different than we are now. We are basically a 4 year old program

There is no coicidence.. Castor didn't want ANY of that, and it all took place IMMEDIATELY after she left

Betty Castor was president 1994-1999 ... she STARTED the football program.

You mean Judy Genshaft... and I am not entirely sure about this.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, MikePhillips said:

Infrastructure and tradition mean nothing if you cannot coach your team to beat FBS teams in year 3. YEAR 3 of CJS we still suck!  The quickest and easiest solution is to remove the stench of losing from the program and fire CJS. Make  Morris Interim coach. He really had a lot of developing Clemson's offense into the juggernaut it was and still is. It was his and Dabo schemes and play designs they still use. He honestly cannot do worse than 0 FBS wins for the rest of the season. If he wins a few games keep him if not find the next guy.

Edited by Outlaw