• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2022-2023 Season- Basketball prediction contest time is fast approaching....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

With the BYE week in football---  just a quick heads up and reminder that we are approaching a new season of USF basketball and with that starts the new season of hoops prediction contests. Specifically, the first game to predict begins the game after our preseason exhibition against University of Tampa with the game versus Southeast Missouri State (SEMS).

I will be posting/pinning that contest about a week before (most likely after the Tampa game).

Let this thread serve as a discussion thread for the upcoming season and those interested in the prediction contest.

Some quick links that might be useful:

USF Player Roster

USF Men's Basketball Schedule

Stat tracker

USF Womens Basketball schedule

Here is some food for thought-- the results from last season are all contained in this thread, our last game played last season:

Edited by MikeG

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  173

The final results from the 2021-2022 season are repeated here:

As mentioned-- congratulations to our overall season points winner -- @NewEnglandBull

@Bradwill contact you and any other prize winners with whatever prize(s) might be involved.

Here are our top players who played through to the BITTER end:

image.thumb.png.19cac32b40688d659fe1cb3c7f9a27ca.png

All our winners:

image.png.9397331084bd7d76d56f5bae2330aec3.png

image.png.b43cb2a01869cb4ea117341e1308be72.png

@NewEnglandBull also had the highest point total in any contest with 54 points (last game) and the overall total wins at 5.

Thanks for playing..... see you next season.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,176
  • Days Won:  56

Not sure I'd have luck predicting much of anything to do with USF men's basketball, but I am looking forward to the season tipoff. Tyler Harris is the key. If he has a good to great year, we have a chance. Caleb Murphy came in with such high expectations and was a huge letdown. It really felt to me like having him at point guard was such a mistake - but where else could BG have put him, I guess? Having a PG who can't shoot the ball - from the floor or the line - is such a massive handicap. Harris gives us a chance on offense that Murphy just couldn't. Can BG motivate Corey Walker to become the player he can be? I think we all saw the potential he has in flashes last year. Can Jamir Chaplin stay healthy and productive? When he wasn't dinged up, Chaplin was really solid. Can Big Russ build on what he did the second half of last year? If so, he can be a force. Miguel and Bryant give us two, strong, experienced guys from major programs to throw out there. Can Sam Hines, D.J. Patrick and Jake Boggs put last year in the rearview mirror and give us something as solid role players? 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

29 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Not sure I'd have luck predicting much of anything to do with USF men's basketball, but I am looking forward to the season tipoff. Tyler Harris is the key. If he has a good to great year, we have a chance. Caleb Murphy came in with such high expectations and was a huge letdown. It really felt to me like having him at point guard was such a mistake - but where else could BG have put him, I guess? Having a PG who can't shoot the ball - from the floor or the line - is such a massive handicap. Harris gives us a chance on offense that Murphy just couldn't. Can BG motivate Corey Walker to become the player he can be? I think we all saw the potential he has in flashes last year. Can Jamir Chaplin stay healthy and productive? When he wasn't dinged up, Chaplin was really solid. Can Big Russ build on what he did the second half of last year? If so, he can be a force. Miguel and Bryant give us two, strong, experienced guys from major programs to throw out there. Can Sam Hines, D.J. Patrick and Jake Boggs put last year in the rearview mirror and give us something as solid role players? 

I’m looking forward to USF hoops as well. I believe I heard the schedule sets up better for us to succeed this season. Should be more interesting than the last few seasons. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

I am wondering where the post presence is going to come from

Beyond Tchewa, there are really no big bodies on the team (Muordar must be a stick since he is listed at 200 lbs and we have a handful of 6’6” to 6’8” guys who are all in the low 200s)

Also, Matos is not listed - is he not going to play basketball or will he come over once football is done?

37 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

I am wondering where the post presence is going to come from

Beyond Tchewa, there are really no big bodies on the team (Muordar must be a stick since he is listed at 200 lbs and we have a handful of 6’6” to 6’8” guys who are all in the low 200s)

Also, Matos is not listed - is he not going to play basketball or will he come over once football is done?

It's rare that we've ever had two real post guys. Russ plays the bulk of the minutes (30) at the five and then they steal the rest with Dok or go to a smaller lineup. Of course, if Russ misses time with injuries or foul issues, they have to adjust and may be in trouble against some teams. But there aren't a lot of half-court, grind-it-out type teams anymore.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Matos is no longer on the hoops roster so I'd assume he's not playing there ..... which brings up a mystery. When I checked the mbb roster, saw that we have 14 scholarship players. Couldn't find anything that says scholarship limits are relaxed for the 2022-23 year ...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  121
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Matos is no longer on the hoops roster so I'd assume he's not playing there

I don't think Matos can be added to the basketball roster until football season has concluded. 

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

14 minutes ago, Rob-Bull said:

I don't think Matos can be added to the basketball roster until football season has concluded. 

And I think his schollie is now football so that wouldn't be a problem there but we're still one over in mbb without him, by my reckoning ...

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Matos is no longer on the hoops roster so I'd assume he's not playing there ..... which brings up a mystery. When I checked the mbb roster, saw that we have 14 scholarship players. Couldn't find anything that says scholarship limits are relaxed for the 2022-23 year ...

Interesting. You are right. I count 14 also and one walk-on. Hmmm.