• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Speculation: if College Gameday came to campus, where should they host it?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

I know this is long term planning, but once we have our wonderful OCS, lets say ESPN came calling to host Gameday on campus.  What are some locations you'd think would be great sites?

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Will be a lot easier to answer when we see full renderings of the stadium and the surrounding area. Based on the master plan the area by all those trees and pond just north of the stadium could be cool. Assuming there will be a lot of tailgaters around there and the new stadium could be within the sightline

Screen_Shot_2022-08-31_at_7.45.07_PM.png

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,835
  • Content Count:  5,483
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Based on the master plan the area by all those trees and pond just north of the stadium could be cool.

That is actually a wetland area, and won't hold a lot of people.

I was thinking the western end of MLK Plaza, with MLK Plaza as a backdrop.  That may be the USF version of The Grove or UCF's "Mall"

It doesn't have to be near the stadium.

-----------------

For those interested, Matt Brown (a national college football writer) has a site called Extra Points.  It's a paid site so I don't want to just copy/paste here, but he wrote an article on what it's like to host College GameDay using App State as the example.  Fascinating read -- it's a lot of work.

• GameDay has 100 people as part of it's traveling party.
  • App State got their donors involved - with on-set pictures Friday, and a "backstage" area on Saturday
  • It's basically a 3-hour infomercial
  • AppState drummed up support with students, with 1000+ greeting the buses when they arrived
  • Local businesses but together swag bags for the on-air GameDay crew

“GameDay in Austin was just another thing going on in Austin. GameDay here is people putting signs in their yard, flags up on their businesses, making cookies and bringing them to the crew. That's what Boone does. That is how Boone puts a unique experience together for this.”

I have to thing GameDay in Tampa would also be another thing going on in Tampa for most of the residents.  USF people would go nuts for it, tho.

CE076B49-CE53-4F19-B665-BE0D08C5BE3F.jpe

A former App State beat writer called around to understand what App State hosting the show meant...not just for the program, but for Boone:

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

One thing about having an objective, rational point of view is that I totally accept that other people have way different priorites than I do.  That said, I am first concerned about where the actual placement of the stadium will be, where can I park and sit in or by my vehicle to consume my beer and gin before the game, where can I pee and poop during said times, where my seats will be, how much more will they cost, where will I pee and poop once inside?  I have simple needs so haven't given the above question much thought, ok any thought. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,497
  • Days Won:  0

Some of these thread topics should have a 24 hour waiting period before posting....... 🤔 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

23 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

That is actually a wetland area, and won't hold a lot of people.

I was thinking the western end of MLK Plaza, with MLK Plaza as a backdrop.  That may be the USF version of The Grove or UCF's "Mall"

It doesn't have to be near the stadium.

Interesting, do like the MLK plaza.

MSC lawn where they do bullmarket is probably too small.

Castor beach, have the stage floating in the pond. All the students can be on the beach and in the surrounding areas.

Big lawn out front of Beta hall will have stadium/IPF backdrop

Will tailgaters be allowed on the football and soccer practice field areas? If so those could work

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Easy answer... GreenbergOpolis. 😆

Would you guys really revive that?  That might make things a little more interesting. Certainly more entertaining.   I know Corso is 87 but lets say somehow he's still around.  I would love for someone to make a giant bald Greenberg head for him to don. 

Edited by Mission9

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,835
  • Content Count:  5,483
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, bulloni said:

Will tailgaters be allowed on the football and soccer practice field areas? If so those could work

Most likely not as it could cause a lot of damage to the fields.

Also ... that master plan graphic doesn't show any of the Greek Park buildings north of the Tennis complex - likely just an artistic choice.