• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches still need end of half work

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

We clearly were better today but when the pressure was on the coaches made unforced mistakes 

End of 1st half 

- called timeout with 13ish seconds to kick a field goal.  No reason to let Florida have time on clock

End of 2nd half

- final drive - media timeout then run play by Bohnanon.  Call our second timeout instead of having a play ready to go.

-3rd and 20 in bad fg range.  Run up gut instead of a pass attempt.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

1000%. How you are okay with settling for a 48-50 yard FG by a college kicker instead of trying to get even 5-8 yards back? That is pathetic. It was a “we are just happy to be here and have an opportunity play call”. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, USFbulls24 said:

1000%. How you are okay with settling for a 48-50 yard FG by a college kicker instead of trying to get even 5-8 yards back? That is pathetic. It was a “we are just happy to be here and have an opportunity play call”. 

USF had quite a bit of success running the ball all night, not so much passing.  UF only had their 4 DL on the play ... I would say the chances were better to get 5-8 yards with Battie running than Bohannon throwing.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, USFbulls24 said:

Disagree. He was trying to get a handful of yards there. A short pass may have been an option there but thought the run call was okay at that point. Had a 48 yarder and had made one that long earlier. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, USFbulls24 said:

I wish we had been down by 4 so they couldn't have "settled".

I don't know how anyone trusts kickers in any league....NCAA or NFL.  Maybe I just suffered too much from the Delbert Alverado days.  

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

USF had quite a bit of success running the ball all night, not so much passing.  UF only had their 4 DL on the play ... I would say the chances were better to get 5-8 yards with Battie running than Bohannon throwing.

So you’d rather run it at their 415 lb DT? Lol. Would love for someone to run the numbers on the % of success for college kickers making a 40-43 yard Fg vs a 47-50. That play call is trash in that situation. Again, it’s a play call of I'm just happy to be here. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I just would have preferred a shot at the end zone.  Maybe you get a pick.  Maybe you get a pass interference.  Maybe you have to kick but you at least *tried* for the win.

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

I just would have preferred a shot at the end zone.  Maybe you get a pick.  Maybe you get a pass interference.  Maybe you have to kick but you at least *tried* for the win.

Nah, can’t try for the endzone. Have to give yourself a chance at kicking a game tying FG. What you can do is try your best to give your team the BEST opportunity to tie the game and that’s get as many of those yards back as possible. If people think running a HB draw there is the coaches giving our team the best opportunity to tie that game god bless em. 

Just now, USFbulls24 said:

Nah, can’t try for the endzone. Have to give yourself a chance at kicking a game tying FG. 

I know the odds are low... but 

If you chuck it to the end zone you have one chance to win, and can potentially still settle for a chance to kick and tie.

The alternative is trying get short yardage that will not win the game, and still hope you can make a 40+ yarder just to tie.

I know my way is not a sure fire thing...I'm not super mad at what happened I just like the idea of going down swinging instead of hoping a notoriously iffy position can come thru.