• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches still need end of half work

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Bottom line is our staff called a great game, and had us in position to win against a top 20 team. Our offense carved the Gators up, and the defense held up better than just about anybody would have expected. Can't put the bad snap that went past Bohanon on the coaching staff. Same with the hold on that kick. We were at the doorstep, just didn't quite execute on a couple of critical plays. I'm more than ok with CJS and his staff tonight.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Bottom line is our staff called a great game, and had us in position to win against a top 20 team. Our offense carved the Gators up, and the defense held up better than just about anybody would have expected. Can't put the bad snap that went past Bohanon on the coaching staff. Same with the hold on that kick. We were at the doorstep, just didn't quite execute on a couple of critical plays. I'm more than ok with CJS and his staff tonight.

More than 1 thing can be true at once. The coaching staff did a very good job preparing the team and putting them in positions to make plays. The snaps absolutely killed them. What can also be true is why call a timeout with 15 seconds left in the half to attempt a 50 yard Fg? Why are you trying to give them time to do something if you miss or something goes wrong or forcing your team to kick off? Why not call the timeout with 4 seconds left? Why are you settling for a 48 yard Fg instead of doing your best to make it closer on a pass play at the end of the game? 

Edited by USFbulls24
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, USFbulls24 said:

More than 1 thing can be true at once. 

9 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Bottom line is our staff called a great game, and had us in position to win against a top 20 team. 

Yeah I don't want the fact that I created this thread to be seen as me utterly blaming the loss on the coaches.  I'm glad we looked the way we did today.  I just had these end of half situations stand out where I'm like "Why do that??". 

The time on the clock at the first half was especially egregious because if you miss, UF had like 2 timeouts to try and do hail Mary or whatever.  God forbid it got blocked.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, USFbulls24 said:

Why are you settling for a 48 yard Fg instead of doing your best to make it closer on a pass play at the end of the game? 

Maybe because Bohanon was only 12-28 (2 INTs) up to that point? Scott probably had more confidence in Bohanon picking up a few yards with his legs to get us in position for the tying FG, and why wouldn't he have at that point? There will always be a handful of things to second-guess in a tight game like this, but the bottom line is, this staff put us in position to win a game that many of us didn't think was all that winnable coming in. Your questions, along with GhostBuster's in the OP, may be legit, but all in all, I think they called a very good game tonight.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

52 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

I wish we had been down by 4 so they couldn't have "settled".

I don't know how anyone trusts kickers in any league....NCAA or NFL.  Maybe I just suffered too much from the Delbert Alverado days.  

Sounds like a global issue.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

57 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That miss was one of the best kicks I’ve ever seen, he almost willed it through despite a placement most people wouldn’t get off the ground

I felt the same way.  So many kickers, even in NFL would have broken stride.  Yet he did not.  He trusted his holder.  He followed through and while it seemed to me the ball nose didn't plant, he did a hell of a job to make it kickable.  It didn't seem like bad hands to me. The guy is not a geologist. I thought both Schrader and Beardall made anything close possible.  No moral victories, but to focus and pounce on that is descriptive - of the critics, not the players.