• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Destructive NIL

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

15 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

This topic was discussed many times here and there seemed to be two sides - those who regard this whole NIL thing to be a potential demise of major college sports (I'm in this camp) and those who see this as an equity issue, as in "they make millions for the university and get nothing in return".

I would appreciate those in the equity camp explaining how, if these allegations in the news reports are true, this NIL thing is still good for the sport and will ensure that there will be college sports in the future.  I'm not seeing it.  I'd like to hear from the proponents of the NIL policy.

crickets GIF 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Bud Elliot has been  very pro NIL and pay for play on twitter the past few days. He was bashing the NCAA for trying to implement a rule where boosters aren't allowed to recruit for the schools yesterday.

Tried to read through his tweets and he must be getting paid to say this because it makes no sense.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the kids deserve every penny

i am thrilled for them

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On 5/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, Grateful Dad said:

This topic was discussed many times here and there seemed to be two sides - those who regard this whole NIL thing to be a potential demise of major college sports (I'm in this camp) and those who see this as an equity issue, as in "they make millions for the university and get nothing in return".

I would appreciate those in the equity camp explaining how, if these allegations in the news reports are true, this NIL thing is still good for the sport and will ensure that there will be college sports in the future.  I'm not seeing it.  I'd like to hear from the proponents of the NIL policy.

The answer is both.  We can now dispense of any pretense that college sports (at least at the D1 level) is about amateur sports.  Sports teams will merely represent a university wearing colors and logos, but these aren't students in the classical sense.  At this point, I don't even care if they attend the university. 

Club sports are now the classic school sports teams, NCAA is huge business with paid athletes.

Let's just be real and stop pretending.  

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

34 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

The answer is both.  We can now dispense of any pretense that college sports (at least at the D1 level) is about amateur sports.  Sports teams will merely represent a university wearing colors and logos, but these aren't students in the classical sense.  At this point, I don't even care if they attend the university. 

Club sports are now the classic school sports teams, NCAA is huge business with paid athletes.

Let's just be real and stop pretending.  

Go Bulls!

You can make that argument for football and men's basketball, and on a more limited basis, women's basketball. But let's be real. Is Tennis, golf, or softball about to land those kinds of financial deals? I don't think so. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

11 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

You can make that argument for football and men's basketball, and on a more limited basis, women's basketball. But let's be real. Is Tennis, golf, or softball about to land those kinds of financial deals? I don't think so. 

Would have been nice if we could. Juaquin Neimann would have played for USF.

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Would have been nice if we could. Juaquin Neimann would have played for USF.

Guessing an individual booster could?

Will teams be going to high schools, meeting with sixteen year old candidates and their parents to offer big bucks if their kid chooses their school?  After all, mom and dad have a mortgage, car payments, etc.  They will be the ones who are actually recruited.

What will schools do when they can't compete with the high dollar donors?  Newer schools located in rural areas won't be able to compete for recruits. 

I guess I'm just too jaded when it comes to human nature, but this is not a good thing.  I rarely score big betting on peoples' altruism.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

lmao

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey coach, my nephew will be reporting for practice and would really fit into your system once he learns about football.  Plus, it would get my sister off my butt.  See you then!