• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The TBP Official In Game Thread: NCAA Tournament - Round 1 -Bulls vs Miami - ESPN2 Friday 11:30 am

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

Bethy Mununga Looks to Put an Exclamation Point on Her Final Chapter

Bethy Mununga Looks to Put an Exclamation Point on Her Final Chapter

March 17, 2022

Story Links

Watch Live | Listen Live | Live Stats | Media Central | Tournament CentralTournament Guide (PDF)

GAME 33 | THURS, MARCH 18, 2022 | 11: A.M. | ESPN2
NCAA TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND | COLUMBIA, S.C. | COLONIAL LIFE ARENA

GAMEDAY INFORMATION
TV/Online: ESPN2/ESPN+ ($)                                    
Courtney Lyle (PxP), Carolyn Peck (Color)
Audio: Bulls Unlimited (iHeartRadio/GoUSFBulls.com)
Darek Sharp (PxP)
Live Stats: GoUSFBulls.com
Series: Miami leads series, 27-11
Twitter Updates: @USFWBB
Tickets: NCAATickets.com

-/RV (9) USF BULLS | 24-8
Last Game: March 10 vs. Central Florida, L, 53-45
Next Game: March 20 vs. (1) S. Carolina/(16) Howard/UIW (if nec.)
Head Coach: Jose Fernandez
Alma Mater: FIU, 1994
Career Record: 416-284 (22nd season)
at USF: Same

RV/- (8) MIAMI (FLA.) HURRICANES | 20-12
Last Game: March 6 vs. NC State, L, 60-47
Next Game: March 20 vs. (1) S. Carolina/(16) Howard/UIW (if nec.)
Head Coach: Katie Meier
Alma Mater: Duke, 1989
Career Record: 399-255 (21st season)
at Miami: 323-210 (17th season)

By Joey Johnston

Her name is Bethy Mununga. For the record, it's pronounced "Betty.'' Simple enough, right? Not really.

"I feel so special because I have so many names,'' said Mununga, the USF senior, with a laugh. "I have been called Beth or Elizabeth. Or Bethany. At a team breakfast, someone called me Stephanie.''

One thing is certain, though. Mununga, a 6-foot forward from Belgium, has made an unmistakable name for herself with the No. 9-seeded Bulls (24-8), who face the No. 8 Miami Hurricanes (20-12) in Friday's NCAA Women's Basketball first-round game at Columbia, S.C.

Mununga is the nation's eighth-leading rebounder and she averages a double-double (10.7 points, 11.6 rebounds per game). She's third all-time in USF career rebounds and needs 41 to join Alisia Jenkins (1,284) and Wanda Guyton (1,077) as the program's only 1,000-rebound players.

Now the clock is ticking.

Mununga, a two-time junior-college All-American, utilized her bonus COVID season for a third year at USF. She will make her second straight NCAA Tournament appearance before undoubtedly heading off to a professional basketball career.

"I want it to last as long as it possibly can,'' said Mununga, 24.

The Hurricanes, which reached the ACC Tournament championship game, will be a formidable challenge. If successful, the Bulls might contend with the tournament's overall No. 1 seed, South Carolina, on its home floor during the second round with USF playing for the first Sweet 16 berth in program history.

Either way, it figures to be a memorable finish to Mununga's ultra-productive career. As a two-time All-American Athletic Conference selection, she will leave with two bachelor's degrees (health science and communications), along with the status as one of the best players in program history.

"Bethy has always been there for us,'' Bulls point guard Elisa Pinzan said. "She's super important to everything we do. She's just a beast. She's a big reason for our success.''

Mununga has 33 double-doubles in her 84 career USF games, plus 56 games with 10-plus rebounds. It's a testament to her athleticism and determination because she often matches up with players who are taller.

Without shoes, Mununga said she's 5-11 3/4 (but much taller with the shoes and her hair in an upright bun). On first glance, though, some opponents have been unimpressed.

"Whenever I'm on the court, I'm at a disadvantage because of my height,'' Mununga said. "My first year here, my matchup walked by, looked at me and said, 'Oh, you're that girl?' I was like, 'Whoa. Hold on. I may be short, but I play big.'

"She sounded so confident, like it was going to be easy. I just smiled at her. Well, it wasn't so easy. Those kind of comments make me laugh and work even more. Another girl might be bigger, but I'm more hungry.''

That hunger has been evident in Mununga's game since she was forced into basketball by her father. She had been a track and field athlete — a good one — but she felt awkward offensively in basketball. Scoring was a problem. Rebounding and defense? They came naturally. Effort wasn't a problem.

"I can't tell you how high I jump unless I see it in a picture,'' Mununga said. "I see the ball and I go get it. I will jump over someone if I need to. Whatever it takes. So it's more of a determination thing. I just want to get all the rebounds and I don't even know how many I'm getting.

"I still feel I have a long way to go. I'm still trying to improve. But when I got 23 rebounds against Stanford (the defending national champion), I said, 'OK, Bethy, you did something. Give yourself some credit.' But I didn't think about it too long. I have to keep working. I want to keep challenging myself.''

Bulls coach Jose Fernandez said "the sky's the limit'' in terms of Mununga's development, where her rebounding is supremely good and her shooting range is ever improving. Her basketball, like her life, has been an evolution.

After her birth in the Central Africa region now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo (formerly Zaire), she was an infant when her family moved to Zellik, Belgium, a suburb on the northwest edge of Brussels.

Mununga speaks fluent French and a little Dutch. She knows the African dialects of Swahili and Lingala. Learning English was more interesting. She barely knew a word of it when she arrived at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College, teaching herself by watching movies, interacting with other students, listening to cafeteria conversations and struggling through her classes.

She averaged 17.5 points and 13.5 rebounds for the Lady Norse, while leading the nation in field-goal percentage (64.9). It was an easy transition to USF, where the big numbers have continued.

"USF has gone by fast, but it has been great,'' Mununga said. "I think right now we are in a good place mentally. We have a senior group that knows what it takes, so let's see what happens.

"No matter who we play, we will be confident. We proved we were good in the Bahamas (when the Bulls beat a pair of top 10-ranked teams, Oregon and Stanford). We know what it takes to get further. After that, I'm open as to what happens in my future. I would never say no to the WNBA because that's a big deal. But I'm ready to go where I need to go in the world. I feel I am ready for the next step.''

The final chapter has arrived. Bulls vs. Hurricanes — and perhaps a lot more. She can play free and easy, full of joy, confident in her accomplishments. Mununga already has made a name for herself.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Going to be very, very hard to replace her upfront next season.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

Apparently we are 20-0 when scoring 57+ points in a game so a fast start will be critical 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

Bulls trail after 1 24-11. Bulls shooting 30% compared to Miami 66.7%

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

10 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

Bulls trail after 1 24-11. Bulls shooting 30% compared to Miami 66.7%

Ugh - hopefully the defense kicks in until the shooting can catch up

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

I know it's a bit of a broken record, but our game disappeared along with Sydni Harvey's sometime around the New Year. That bunch - Harvey, Pinzan, Mununga, Leverett, etc. - won a bunch of games, but it's time for a rebuild. We need to get a little bigger and more athletic at the guard spots and quicker overall.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

8 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I know it's a bit of a broken record, but our game disappeared along with Sydni Harvey's sometime around the New Year. That bunch - Harvey, Pinzan, Mununga, Leverett, etc. - won a bunch of games, but it's time for a rebuild. We need to get a little bigger and more athletic at the guard spots and quicker overall.

As Harvey’s game has fallen off, Pinzan has become more erratic in her play - she seems to have 2-3 bad turnovers a game (unforced passes to the other team, trying to dribble through the defense), while taking some bad shots (specifically the left hand floaters from 15+)

Halftime down 11, but the shooting has improved (Miami is still hot from the field though)

We are going to need some stops and a sustained run

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Maybe a lucky 3 at the end of the half can kick start Harvey.  But thinking it was a one-off.

Not looking good - 12-2 run by Miami puts us down 19