• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brian Gregory "news"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

45 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Yes you have said repeatedly. I disagree is not the same but you do what you need to do.

WIthout giving too much away, I played football at a Big 10 school and professionally so I've played in big stadiums and small.  I've played on and against teams that were good and bad.  I've played in bowl games and playoff games.  I've been around people my whole life that LIVED sports.  My nephew is a college basketball coach.  That's where most of my basketball KNOWLEDGE comes from as I have very little experience (I played in high school but that's it).  After I "retired" I went back to school and got my Master degree.  I went to law school but didn't finish as my "day job" became more and more successful along with the time commitments it requires.

Being around people most of my life that LIVE sports I've learned a few things.  One of them is that people are very much blinded by issues involving "their team".   And trust me, it only gets worse if you are on "the team".

And in all of my years of playing one thing became very clear.  Winning fixes EVERYTHING, especially attendance.  If USF was taking names and kicking "ask" and packing them into the third level at RayJay NO ONE would be complaining about where we play.  If USF were routinely ranked high and playing in good bowl games things would be very different.  But I'm telling you, "if you build it they will come" is nothing but a movie line.  "If you win it they will attend it" is the TRUTH when it comes to football and MBB.  But at the end of the day, how much attendance do you really expect playing in the AAC?  I can't imagine season average attendance much beyond 30 to 40 k in the best case scenario playing in the AAC.  USF would have to schedule at least 1 or 2 BIG schools and routinely beat them if they want to get a high ranking and good bowl game that brings with it good attendance.  Without that, how many people really will attend USF football games to see AAC opponents whether at RayJay or an on campus stadium?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, BullShirt said:

WIthout giving too much away, I played football at a Big 10 school and professionally so I've played in big stadiums and small.  I've played on and against teams that were good and bad.  I've played in bowl games and playoff games.  I've been around people my whole life that LIVED sports.  My nephew is a college basketball coach.  That's where most of my basketball KNOWLEDGE comes from as I have very little experience (I played in high school but that's it).  After I "retired" I went back to school and got my Master degree.  I went to law school but didn't finish as my "day job" became more and more successful along with the time commitments it requires.

Being around people most of my life that LIVE sports I've learned a few things.  One of them is that people are very much blinded by issues involving "their team".   And trust me, it only gets worse if you are on "the team".

And in all of my years of playing one thing became very clear.  Winning fixes EVERYTHING, especially attendance.  If USF was taking names and kicking "ask" and packing them into the third level at RayJay NO ONE would be complaining about where we play.  If USF were routinely ranked high and playing in good bowl games things would be very different.  But I'm telling you, "if you build it they will come" is nothing but a movie line.  "If you win it they will attend it" is the TRUTH when it comes to football and MBB.  But at the end of the day, how much attendance do you really expect playing in the AAC?  I can't imagine season average attendance much beyond 30 to 40 k in the best case scenario playing in the AAC.  USF would have to schedule at least 1 or 2 BIG schools and routinely beat them if they want to get a high ranking and good bowl game that brings with it good attendance.  Without that, how many people really will attend USF football games to see AAC opponents whether at RayJay or an on campus stadium?

Why pay the Glazers? Keep the $, build up alumni visiting campus and let’s have something USF related we can be proud of. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Why pay the Glazers? Keep the $, build up alumni visiting campus and let’s have something USF related we can be proud of. 

A lot of assumptions there.

Remember, when you own it ALL of the YEAR ROUND maintenance costs are your responsibility.  Doubt very many people have any idea how much it costs to maintain a stadium, let alone the electric bill for one night game.  It's BIG.

Build up alumni visiting campus?  All because of a new stadium on campus?  Let's check back 5 years after it's built and see how that worked out.

Proud of?  How about a winning record?  High graduation rate?  Top rated academic programs?  I'll take those over a new stadium any day.  And I played in some really nice ones.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

17 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

If USF was taking names and kicking "ask" and packing them into the third level at RayJay

No they wouldn't if they were still AAC and there's absolutely nothing to support that they would ...... and I'm not sure why you keep staying fixated on the attendance. Unless I'm mistaken, very few, if any, have asserted that an ocs would increase it outside of the students.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

23 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Remember, when you own it ALL of the YEAR ROUND maintenance costs are your responsibility.  Doubt very many people have any idea how much it costs to maintain a stadium, let alone the electric bill for one night game.  It's BIG.

Build up alumni visiting campus?  All because of a new stadium on campus?  Let's check back 5 years after it's built and see how that worked out.

Proud of?  How about a winning record?  High graduation rate?  Top rated academic programs?  I'll take those over a new stadium any day.  And I played in some really nice ones.

Trust me most alumni give lip service to high grad rates, top academic programs, etc. but really, are you going to use those on Mondays at work when you are surrounded by other people who are alumni from programs that are kicking ass? In reality most of a alumni care more about sports than we do academics. Sad but true. What matters is the front porch. My point about alumni now visiting campus has as much merit as your point saying that they won’t. Finally, having the stadium will allow you to have more purpose than just football games. Yes you have to pay for maintenance but that’s a part of the ticket price. Playing in a pro stadium with red seats and a pirate ship is purely bush league.

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

Funny how a thread about Gregory and the basketball program turned into an anti OCS one by one poster lol. 

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

No they wouldn't if they were still AAC and there's absolutely nothing to support that they would ...... and I'm not sure why you keep staying fixated on the attendance. Unless I'm mistaken, very few, if any, have asserted that an ocs would increase it outside of the students.

I'm "fixated on attendance" because in no particular order:

1 It generates revenue,

2 It's a very good gauge of how the program is doing

3 High attendance spills over into other areas including fund raising.

4 High attendance generates a higher level of "game day" excitement.

5 If the team plays on campus like they do now how many students will go?  They don't go to MBB games now and those are on campus.  Students can attend games at RayJay if they want to but they don't want to.

6.  If they don't get decent attendance on campus how do they justify the expense of building a stadium?  And from what I've read so far beyond the $5 Mil that they got the other day there hasn't been a lot of people lining up to donate for a new stadium.   I would hate to see funds that could be used for education ultimately going to a stadium that isn't needed.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

28 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Meh... In the history of the world, rent has never been a better financial option than owning. That's why rich people own the property poor people rent.

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Trust me most alumni give lip service to high grad rates, top academic programs, etc. but really, are you going to use those on Mondays at work when you are surrounded by other people who are alumni from programs that are kicking ass? In reality most of a alumni care more about sports than we do academics. Sad but true. What matters is the front porch. My point about alumni now visiting campus has as much merit as your point saying that they won’t. Finally, having the stadium will allow you to have more purpose than just football games. Yes you have to pay for maintenance but that’s a part of the ticket price. Playing in a pro stadium with red seats and a pirate ship is purely bush league.

Maintence may be "part of the ticket price" but the point I keep trying to make is what makes you think you can sell those tickets in the first place?  All fixed and variable costs are part of the sales price of any product but that doens't mean people buy it.   And now we're back to attendance.  Good attendance at either facility solves your problem and mine.  But in the end I think the ONLY thing that will help with attendance is the teams' records and that starts with Coach Scott (who I was against signing but would give him 1 or 2 more years) and Coach Gregory (who I was against signing and would fire him today).

The thing I think A LOT of posters on this board are missing is the APATHY among a huge portion of the fan base.  A new stadium will move the needle a little.  A new coach, different attitude and culture resulting in MORE winning will move the needle a LOT.  It always has and always will.

Let's do this:  Reverse the football and basketball records.  Change each teams losses into wins and their wins into losses.  Are we even having this conversation?  No.  Does this thread even exist?  No.   Now put the records back to where they really are today but build an on campus stadium 5 years ago.  Are we having this conversation?  No.  I think the conversation is "why doesn't anyone go to the games, what idiot decided to spend all of that money on a stadium we didn't need, why did USF cut "this" program or "that" program when they had money to build a new stadium they didn't need".

At the end of the day, from my personal playing experience and business experience I can say with absolute certainty that if USF was winning that WOULD make a difference.  But no one here can say with certainty that building an on campus stadium will accomplish anything.  That being said, I think time will tell because in the end I think they will build a stadium.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

15 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

I'm "fixated on attendance" because in no particular order:

1 It generates revenue,

2 It's a very good gauge of how the program is doing

3 High attendance spills over into other areas including fund raising.

4 High attendance generates a higher level of "game day" excitement.

5 If the team plays on campus like they do now how many students will go?  They don't go to MBB games now and those are on campus.  Students can attend games at RayJay if they want to but they don't want to.

6.  If they don't get decent attendance on campus how do they justify the expense of building a stadium?  And from what I've read so far beyond the $5 Mil that they got the other day there hasn't been a lot of people lining up to donate for a new stadium.   I would hate to see funds that could be used for education ultimately going to a stadium that isn't needed.

You're not understanding this. Nobody is arguing in defense of an ocs that attendance would be better there, outside of students, so it is a non factor in this discussion.