• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,983
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm just messin with you. But those statements do contradict each other.

I get what you're saying. Not really (see what I did there?) Just having some fun.

No worries. I hope all don’t take some of my crazy posts too seriously. I been having fun too lol. I do think we will see a whole new structure to college football though. Not sure how it will break but I feel better about USF’s direction then I did a few years ago lol. Think USF will end up landing in a good spot.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

6 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Booo paywall, wouldn't let me read

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

No worries. I hope all don’t take some of my crazy posts too seriously. I been having fun too lol. I do think we will see a whole new structure to college football though. Not sure how it will break but I feel better about USF’s direction then I did a few years ago lol. Think USF will end up landing in a good spot.

As an honorary moderator, I am limiting future posts to only one LOL per post, any future violations will be met with disciplinary action up to and including suspension.  You have been warned and thank you in advance for your compliance.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

25 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

I subscribe up here...

Among the unanswered questions surrounding North Carolina schools amid conference realignment in college athletics is this: Could political pressure, either direct or indirect, tie the University of North Carolina and N.C. State together, and keep them in the same conference? It’s impossible to know, or answer, but it’s a question worth pondering, especially as the UNC System Board of Governors this week discusses a proposal that would make it more complicated for state schools to switch athletics conferences.

Q: What, exactly, is the UNC BOG considering?

A: It’s considering a proposal that would give it the power to stop or delay a state school from moving from one conference (say, the ACC) to another (say, the Big Ten or SEC). More specifically, the board is considering amending its policy manual to require schools to provide advance notice of a potential conference move, and a financial plan associated with the move. The president of the board could then decide to reject the proposed move, outright, or, if the president approves, members of the board could also reject the plan. The language of the proposal suggests the yes-or-no decision would be tied to the financial plan (and not an explicit desire to keep schools together) but it’s unclear how this would all play out.

Q: What’s it really mean for UNC and N.C. State’s athletics future?

A: It’s not yet totally clear. At the least, if the BOG approves this measure (and there’s not much reason to think it wouldn’t), then in theory it’d become more complicated for any state school to leave its current athletics conference for another. In the most benign interpretation of this proposal, schools would be left to do a lot more paperwork before switching conferences. In the most nefarious interpretation, the BOG could simply stop any state school from any conference move, under the guise that the school’s “financial plan” isn’t up to snuff. Without a clear understanding of how a financial plan would be evaluated, and what matters, the process on the surface looks subjective. Certainly, it’d lead to a lot of consternation if the BOG rejects a school’s plan and desire to go to another conference, and such a move would raise all kinds of questions.

Q: So would it be fair to conclude that this could be an attempt by the BOG to increase the likelihood that UNC and N.C. State remain together?

A: It’s not necessarily unfair to think that. The stakes are high with major conference realignment, and there’s undoubtedly a lot of powerful people with strong opinions about how UNC and N.C. State should approach the future, and whether it’d be “good” or “right” for both schools to remain in the same conference. And let’s be clear, too: there’s no doubt that UNC would be a prized addition for either the Big Ten or SEC. Neither conference has a presence in North Carolina and, despite the Tar Heels’ never-ending struggles in football (the sport that is driving all of this), UNC is still among the most recognizable brands in college sports. N.C. State has improved its athletics reputation over the past decade and the Wolfpack arguably has the better football program. Still, in a realignment world driven by brand value and national name recognition, State is not desired in the same way UNC is. If a future in the ACC becomes untenable for State, there’s a chance the SEC could be in play, if UNC goes to the Big Ten. A more likely scenario in this hypothetical, though, is that State would become a target of the Big 12. Would it make any sort of sense for UNC and N.C. State, separated by about a 45-minute drive, to be in different leagues? It would not. But major college athletics has operated in a nonsensical way for quite some time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GoBulls84 said:

Booo paywall, wouldn't let me read

Interesting, I'm usually the one that can't read articles. 🤔 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

51 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

As an honorary moderator, I am limiting future posts to only one LOL per post, any future violations will be met with disciplinary action up to and including suspension.  You have been warned and thank you in advance for your compliance.

Lol Laughing GIF

• Haha 3

I love being left out of discussion (not).  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,621
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Frisco do you need some company in the sin bin ?

angry ice hockey GIF by NHL

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I subscribe up here...

Among the unanswered questions surrounding North Carolina schools amid conference realignment in college athletics is this: Could political pressure, either direct or indirect, tie the University of North Carolina and N.C. State together, and keep them in the same conference? It’s impossible to know, or answer, but it’s a question worth pondering, especially as the UNC System Board of Governors this week discusses a proposal that would make it more complicated for state schools to switch athletics conferences.

Q: What, exactly, is the UNC BOG considering?

A: It’s considering a proposal that would give it the power to stop or delay a state school from moving from one conference (say, the ACC) to another (say, the Big Ten or SEC). More specifically, the board is considering amending its policy manual to require schools to provide advance notice of a potential conference move, and a financial plan associated with the move. The president of the board could then decide to reject the proposed move, outright, or, if the president approves, members of the board could also reject the plan. The language of the proposal suggests the yes-or-no decision would be tied to the financial plan (and not an explicit desire to keep schools together) but it’s unclear how this would all play out.

Q: What’s it really mean for UNC and N.C. State’s athletics future?

A: It’s not yet totally clear. At the least, if the BOG approves this measure (and there’s not much reason to think it wouldn’t), then in theory it’d become more complicated for any state school to leave its current athletics conference for another. In the most benign interpretation of this proposal, schools would be left to do a lot more paperwork before switching conferences. In the most nefarious interpretation, the BOG could simply stop any state school from any conference move, under the guise that the school’s “financial plan” isn’t up to snuff. Without a clear understanding of how a financial plan would be evaluated, and what matters, the process on the surface looks subjective. Certainly, it’d lead to a lot of consternation if the BOG rejects a school’s plan and desire to go to another conference, and such a move would raise all kinds of questions.

Q: So would it be fair to conclude that this could be an attempt by the BOG to increase the likelihood that UNC and N.C. State remain together?

A: It’s not necessarily unfair to think that. The stakes are high with major conference realignment, and there’s undoubtedly a lot of powerful people with strong opinions about how UNC and N.C. State should approach the future, and whether it’d be “good” or “right” for both schools to remain in the same conference. And let’s be clear, too: there’s no doubt that UNC would be a prized addition for either the Big Ten or SEC. Neither conference has a presence in North Carolina and, despite the Tar Heels’ never-ending struggles in football (the sport that is driving all of this), UNC is still among the most recognizable brands in college sports. N.C. State has improved its athletics reputation over the past decade and the Wolfpack arguably has the better football program. Still, in a realignment world driven by brand value and national name recognition, State is not desired in the same way UNC is. If a future in the ACC becomes untenable for State, there’s a chance the SEC could be in play, if UNC goes to the Big Ten. A more likely scenario in this hypothetical, though, is that State would become a target of the Big 12. Would it make any sort of sense for UNC and N.C. State, separated by about a 45-minute drive, to be in different leagues? It would not. But major college athletics has operated in a nonsensical way for quite some time.

Thank you for sharing.

• Haha 1