• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

46 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I'm not saying it will be low quality. But I also don't think there is any scenario where they have more money to spend, so if we needed a bigger stadium, I don't think we can just throw another 100 million onto the total. 

What about the scenario where we're in another conference making 3x - 4x the money?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

Some perspective from a random FSU fan on another board. Started a thread called "The ACC won this round of realignment" - 

The BigTen added 4 schools that will challenge the established hierarchy in football and basketball. Imagine Oregon and USC winning the BigTen west in football, formerly dominated by Wisconsin. OSU and UM will eventually have to face off in the regular season against one of these PAC schools that plays a different style offense than what they are accustomed to.

All of a sudden the SEC got much tougher. LSU and aTm just got pushed down in the pecking order in the West. Imagine poor ole UK, UF, UGA, USCjr playing a murderers row schedule and still having to get up to play your instate rivals. By all means please play 9 conference games.

The Big12 added 3 ͏Fr͏es͏h call ups from the G5, plus a tweener (BYU). TV ratings have not been good at all for the neophytes so far. Next year the Big12 loses their 2 big dogs. With the expanded playoffs, getting at least 2 in the playoffs should be mandatory, 1 wouid be a sin. But unless proven, consistent winners like TCU and incoming Utah do it, I don’t think anyone else can.

The ACC (14) wins a couple ways: They add 2 of the most populous states to the ACCN, the neophytes do not challenge the established hierarchy in the 2 revenue sports, the established heirarchy can pad their win total and thus take advantage of the success initiative.

The sleeping giants of the ACC is just starting to wake up in football. That’s more playoff appearances, that’s more going to the conference and the hierarchy.

Edited by USF_Bullsharks

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

23 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

What about the scenario where we're in another conference making 3x - 4x the money?

There are a lot of if's. We need to be ready for reduced earnings in a new league, If SMU is getting $0, and Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Washington all took deals with reduced payouts, we will probably have to take one too. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, Mike Stuben said:

There are a lot of if's. We need to be ready for reduced earnings in a new league, If SMU is getting $0, and Oregon, Cal, Stanford, Washington all took deals with reduced payouts, we will probably have to take one too. 

The good news about USF compared to SMU is that I do believe USF will have multiple options whereas SMU basically had one option for the power conference opportunity. I believe USF can use some leverage as long as they win in both football & hoops

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Not necessarily take a reduction in conference payout, but we should expect to not receive a full share immediately. If we receive an invite to the ACC over the next couple of years, we should not expect to realize 4-5x conference payout (unless explicitly stated in invite) for at least a few years. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

19 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

15 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

The good news about USF compared to SMU is that I do believe USF will have multiple options whereas SMU basically had one option for the power conference opportunity. I believe USF can use some leverage as long as they win in both football & hoops

True or false? USF will make substantially more money in P-whatever conference. The only IF, IMO, is if USF will get the invite. Will USF get a full share on the call-up? Probably not. But USF will get a heck of a lot more than the AAC.

One thing for sure, again, IMO, if USF builds a 35,000 seat stadium then USF needs to sell 35,001 tickets for a few years before worrying about stadium expansion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

True or false? USF will make substantially more money in P-whatever conference. The only IF, IMO, is if USF will get the invite. Will USF get a full share on the call-up? Probably not. But USF will get a heck of a lot more than the AAC.

One thing for sure, again, IMO, if USF builds a 35,000 seat stadium then USF needs to sell 35,001 tickets for a few years before worrying about stadium expansion.

SMU reduced their share. They will make less in the ACC than the AAC, 

I am not saying we are going to do that deal, but I wouldn't assume. 

And, a we may be told our invite depends on having a larger stadium. The Big East mandated we renovate the YC, it wouldn't be unheard of for someone to say, you must have XXX number of seats if you want to be in our league. 

Not saying this to argue, just saying we don't know. 

40 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

I love the optimism, but we just need 1 good option. There are 4 leagues that = good option, just get us into one of those 4. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

59 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Some perspective from a random FSU fan on another board. Started a thread called "The ACC won this round of realignment" - 

Who tf are the neophytes?

• Haha 1