• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

How is ND a half member in football?

Yes, ND is a full ACC member in other sports, but the original question asked about football, not other sports. ND is not an ACC member for football - they're fully independent in that sport.

they are required to play 4 acc games every year. they played 6 this year

I stand corrected. 5

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

ND has an agreement to play FIVE games per season against ACC teams... so that's about half of a conference season.  In exchange they also get access to the ACC bowl tie ins.

I understand that. But that doesn't mean they're a "half member" in football. ND has an agreement to play a certain number of games with ACC football teams per year - that agreement was made necessary so that ND could park its other sports in the ACC. Notwithstanding its agreement with the ACC, ND is not a member of the ACC for football.

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

they are required to play 4 acc games every year. they played 6 this year

I stand corrected. 5

It's all good! I see what your point was. If we're including ND, then yes, they're ahead of Miami for sure. Then Miami. 

Edited by TallyBull

3 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Stanford first choice would have been Big 10 but Cal and Stanford would have jumped on a Big 12 invite. The ACC invite only came after a lot of leg pulling and almost didn't come through. Big 12 would have been a better fit with Utah, BYU, Colorado, Arizona . and Arizona state being  much closer in geography.

clearly they didn't care about geography. they cared more about the schools they would be associated with.

sorry but they wouldn't have joined the big 12 unless they had no other alternative.to suggest otherwise is foolish.

the acc is worlds better in academics and athletics.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

4 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

I understand that. But that doesn't mean they're a "half member" in football. ND has an agreement to play a certain number of games with ACC football teams per year - that agreement was made necessary so that ND could park its other sports in the ACC. Notwithstanding its agreement with the ACC, ND is not a member of the ACC for football.

How do you define "a member"?  I suppose if the being a member means they play a full conference slate and are eligible for the ACC CG you're right.  They only play a half conference slate and are eligible for ACC bowl games... that kinda sounds like a "half member".    Plus they do have a vote on football-related conference decisions.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

19 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

How do you define "a member"?  I suppose if the being a member means they play a full conference slate and are eligible for the ACC CG you're right.  They only play a half conference slate and are eligible for ACC bowl games... that kinda sounds like a "half member".    Plus they do have a vote on football-related conference decisions.

It seems a bit like when Notre Dame was in  the Big East for all sports except football. In the end its just a convenient deal where they schedule a number of ACC teams in return of being able to compete for other sports in the ACC. I think that as long that they aren't included in the football standings for the ACC and don't compete for an ACC championship they just are not part of the AAC football league.

i think if they ever join a league ( which I think is doubtful) it would be the Big 10

Edited by belgianbull

6 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

How much TV money does ND bring into the conference from football broadcasts? $0.00. If you aren't bringing any money into the conference from football, then you aren't really a member for football, regardless of how/whether the conference lets you otherwise participate in conference decisions/bowl games. 

The fact they can vote on football matters while not being a member for football is a big source of heartburn in Tallahassee, as you might imagine... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

How much TV money does ND bring into the conference from football broadcasts? $0.00. If you aren't bringing any money into the conference from football, then you aren't really a member for football, regardless of how/whether the conference lets you otherwise participate in conference decisions/bowl games. 

The fact they can vote on football matters while not being a member for football is a big source of heartburn in Tallahassee, as you might imagine... 

ND played 4 away games against acc opponents this year. all tv money from those games go to the conference.

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

ND played 4 away games against acc opponents this year. all tv money from those games go to the conference.

Fair enough. That still does not make them a member of the conference for football. But anyways, again, if you want to include ND for purposes of the original prompt (i.e. what is the most significant football program after FSU and Clemson between the ACC and Big 12), then we agree - ND, then Miami.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  149
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

How do you define "a member"?

Beavis And Butthead 90S Tv GIF

• Haha 2