• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

5 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

If it is between them for conference champ,

I'll just not slide any chips onto that wager. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,001
  • Days Won:  2

31 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

It's going to get spicy out there!  Some would rationally question the cost-benefit of universities at this point and go a different route without debt.  

I have a senior in high school and was pleasantly surprised at the message being relayed by guidance that 2+2 is the way to go if you are looking to save $$$.  That's what my youngest is planning.  2 years at SCF and then transfer to USF in the FUSE program.  She will get Bright Futures too.  She might be looking at no debt.  My two older children went to USF Tampa and USFSM.  Still paying off loans.  Especially the cost for my daughter's master's degree.  It's what we used to pay for a house.  I'm old...GenX

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,917
  • Days Won:  67

Just now, Cat941 said:

I have a senior in high school and was pleasantly surprised at the message being relayed by guidance that 2+2 is the way to go if you are looking to save $$$.  That's what my youngest is planning.  2 years at SCF and then transfer to USF in the FUSE program.  She will get Bright Futures too.  She might be looking at no debt.  My two older children went to USF Tampa and USFSM.  Still paying off loans.  Especially the cost for my daughter's master's degree.  It's what we used to pay for a house.  I'm old...GenX

That is the question nobody wants to address, why is the cost so absurd, why does USF have 14k employees, small fraction are actually teaching.  The govt just wants to keep loaning money to match whatever the incredulous cost they decide to charge.  This won’t stop as long as the Govt is in charge of handing out the cash and forgiving loans to gain votes.   I was fortunate that I had some really good years and my kids graduated debt free, things could have easily turned out differently.  At least we have a nice coffee shop in the swanky honors building so these kids can buy overpriced coffee with their loan money and sit in their little cubes to discuss how they plan to ever pay back these outrageous loans.  Sorry for the rant, but the cost of college is insane and we are paying for things that add absolutely no value.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

That is the question nobody wants to address, why is the cost so absurd, why does USF have 14k employees, small fraction are actually teaching.  The govt just wants to keep loaning money to match whatever the incredulous cost they decide to charge.  This won’t stop as long as the Govt is in charge of handing out the cash and forgiving loans to gain votes.   I was fortunate that I had some really good years and my kids graduated debt free, things could have easily turned out differently.  At least we have a nice coffee shop in the swanky honors building so these kids can buy overpriced coffee with their loan money and sit in their little cubes to discuss how they plan to ever pay back these outrageous loans.  Sorry for the rant, but the cost of college is insane and we are paying for things that add absolutely no value.

Both my older kids had Bright Futures and other merit scholarships too.  My son worked at the bowling alley while he was a student in Tampa.  Still owes a bunch largely due to housing costs.  But he loved his college years.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, Cat941 said:

The ACC shot themselves in the foot too.  The teams added will diminish the tight-knit community that was the ACC.  I wonder how much of the add was orchestrated by ESPN.  No I'm not paranoid.  

The "tight-knit" community was already unraveling because ESPN doesn't want to pay $50M more per team... FSU, Clemson, and others making noise about differential payments and complaining it's not enough did more damage than adding three schools.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

The "tight-knit" community was already unraveling because ESPN doesn't want to pay $50M more per team... FSU, Clemson, and others making noise about differential payments and complaining it's not enough did more damage than adding three schools.

Yes, but those three might not be there if they can get to the P2.  I'm thinking of the schools that are not likely to move up and will remain in the ACC.  They've invited two schools that are attractive, but are on the left coast and viewed as more liberal than the eastern ones.  Giving power to an unknown voting bloc.  We shall see!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

3 hours ago, Cat941 said:

I'm not a big fan of this guy, but he's right.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Cat941 said:

The 2+2 strategy is better for a financial standpoint but the college experience will be different. The community/state colleges really save you a lot of money and are getting getter. Some people love it and some people regret not being at the university  for for four years. It all depends on the individual. Either way sounds like you have your kids on the right track and they will be successful no matter the choice. I was lucky enough to not have debt because i paid my remaining tuition every semester working at various bars and restaurants but I have friends that took loans and just partied away . Now they just complain about their debt.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Cat941 said:

I have a senior in high school and was pleasantly surprised at the message being relayed by guidance that 2+2 is the way to go if you are looking to save $$$.

Yep. AA from HCC then two years at USF. Of course, this was back in the days when the bookstore was two trailers joined together out in a dirt field.

But the point is, we have to have the swanky coffee shop and the rock-climbing wall, and numerous pools, and every other sort of amenity you can imagine as part of our marketing program. We have to be able to pitch U of SF as the cool, in-place to be - because not every kid applying is concerned about the Linear Systems or Logic Design classes.  Gotta appeal. Gotta advertise. Always Be Closing! Don't want to miss out on the revenue - regardless of source. 

Neighbor across the street. Daughter spent one year in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and is now back in Tampa, attending HCC - intent on the AA and subsequently, acceptance to U of SF. Dad is elated. Nothing nicer than in-state tuition at HCC compared to out-of-state tuition at Alabama. Now, being honest, on the funometer, HCC isn't really moving the needle. But it's the pegging of the funometer in 'Bama that initiated the transfer. English 101 is English 101 - on Fowler Avenue or Dale Mabry. Only the $ is different. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

I'm not a big fan of this guy, but he's right.

The only way it see it working as being treated as an out of conference game or moved forward breaking tradition.