• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

11 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Completely agree, that was pretty much what I was saying in regards to the question 'would whoever gets the invite lose money on the deal.' 

When they brought in TCU and WVU, they started them at 50% their first year if I remember correctly. If they did the same with the new adds, that's 15mil a year. So no, we wouldn't be losing on the deal.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I think Cincy is a guarantee, partly to appease WVU with a travel partner.  Which means, if they stick to only 12, we are 99% likely on the outside looking in (the other slot going to Memphis/UConn/or possibly BYU).  I think if they go to 14, then they double down in Florida and grab both us and UCF.  

Wonder what will become of the AAC if Cincy/UConn/USF/UCF are all stolen?  Shrink back down to 10 teams with one division?  Or expand again with FAU/FIU/NIU/etc....

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

https://twitter.com/sbnationcfb/status/755810452798513153

not a big fan of the looks of this. 

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Azmodi said:

When they brought in TCU and WVU, they started them at 50% their first year if I remember correctly. If they did the same with the new adds, that's 15mil a year. So no, we wouldn't be losing on the deal.

That implies that the same deal would be on the table.  I don't think it is.  What if they offered 10%?  I am just curious as a USF MBA what the break even point is here.

What I think this says about the B12 is they are going to make as much as they can off the TV contract for the next 6 years and increase their chance for getting in the NCG.  After that, who knows?

Texas can say we will vote to let in 4 new teams if they get to keep the money that Fox is contractually obligated to give the B12 (and the B12 is not obligated to spread evenly).

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

The Big 12 has 1 real power move.  To move into Florida.  That would be a direct challenge to the SEC and ACC stranglehold on Southern Recruiting as well as add two top 20 media markets (Tampa Bay being 11) and would have an immediate impact on recruiting and profile.  It would be seen as something big.  Much like the Big Easts move there and it did open up Florida recruiting for Big East schools that launched programs like WV and Louisville into the national spotlight.  Hell... Even Rutgers hall Florida guys.

USF has a high ceiling.  People forget that we were only in the Big East for a few years.  We were building momentum until Skip.  Now we are back on track and seen as getting back to USF.  We have a lot of things going for us.  I think we're in.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

8 minutes ago, mark_my_words said:

That implies that the same deal would be on the table.  I don't think it is.  What if they offered 10%?  I am just curious as a USF MBA what the break even point is here.

What I think this says about the B12 is they are going to make as much as they can off the TV contract for the next 6 years and increase their chance for getting in the NCG.  After that, who knows?

Texas can say we will vote to let in 4 new teams if they get to keep the money that Fox is contractually obligated to give the B12 (and the B12 is not obligated to spread evenly).

If you honestly think anyone is jumping into that mess if the bolded statements are enacted, then you're wrong. As an MBA, you should already know that. Even if this is a money grab, there is a certain amount of money they would have to pay the newcomers just to justify calling them members of a Power Conference. No school is coming in with out the opportunity to increase their bottom line.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Well... We're being investigated by the NCAA for academic fraud.  With Antiqua's basketball team. We're not going anywhere.  This could blow it all.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

Well, the hype was nice the one day it lasted. Now men's bball is under NCAA investigation for academic fraud. Worst. Timing. Ever. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

COA may have just screwed USF over with his program's alleged academic fraud, if it in fact happened.  Could not have come at a worse time.  Decisions are being made now.  This looks absolutely terrible.

If there was fraud, he should be canned yesterday if not sooner.  Notice I did say if.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Azmodi said:

If you honestly think anyone is jumping into that mess if the bolded statements are enacted, then you're wrong. As an MBA, you should already know that. Even if this is a money grab, there is a certain amount of money they would have o pay the newcomers just to justify calling them members of a Power Conference. No school is coming in with out the opportunity to increase their bottom line.

I don't know any such thing without doing the analysis of the numbers and determining a break even point.  In other words how much does a school have to make in order to increase their bottom line against, say, increased travel costs?  What are the revenue projections of increased tickets sales for playing the new teams vs the existing ones?  Are their penalties for breaking our contract with the AAC?

It could very well be profitable for us if we get 5 mil a year.  We would still ask for 20 mil but at least we could know how low we could go for it to make sense for us in case there was a bidding war.