• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9971974/gamble-ad-tom-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

Judy knew Louisville was leaving 2 years ago. We are slowly learning what has gone on behind the scenes. The article says Judy tried to convince them to stay but doesn't mention anything about Judy being proactive and trying to find a solution for her university. Why were we fighting two years ago for the survival of a league that she KNEW wouldn't survive? I am shocked. 

Lose the drama.... The article is about UL's timeline not USF's. How do you know that USF hasn't been working behind the scenes? Why would any efforts by USF be in that article?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9971974/gamble-ad-tom-jurich-saves-4-million-louisville-cardinals

Judy knew Louisville was leaving 2 years ago. We are slowly learning what has gone on behind the scenes. The article says Judy tried to convince them to stay but doesn't mention anything about Judy being proactive and trying to find a solution for her university. Why were we fighting two years ago for the survival of a league that she KNEW wouldn't survive? I am shocked. 

You really think that Genshaft and Woolard haven't been working to get USF into another conference?

Really?

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Bottom line: USF's first president screwed us all.

No, I'd say it was Judy and DW for firing Leavitt and replacing him with a card board cut out of Lou Holtz with a golfing addiction.

If we could have maintained a ranking and had numerous legitimate sell outs, the TV ratings would be better and we'd have had a legitimate case with the B12.  If we had proved we belonged with strength in athletics, attendance, and ratings we'd be safe.  Unfortunately we're back to where we are pre-big east selling the dream alongside UCF.

This and the fact that we lost Mr. Selmon.  He was very helpful in opening doors for this program and creating opportunities.  I miss him.

Something that I finally agree with in this thread

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Being transparent doesn't mean complete disclosure. Genshaft and the old Big East made the right call in trying to keep the league stable enough to simply survive. In fact, considering how UC, USF and UCONN positioned themselves to receive a lionshare of the exit money and giving up the 'Big East' name you could argue that USF did as best as it could have done.....since we didn't have ANYONE asking to join their league.

BTW,  what P5 team was really going to invite USF.

SEC? -- next....

B1G? -- next....

Pac12? -- I'm sure we were on their short list if they ever decided to add a team in Tampa...

ACC? -- this would seem like a natural fit for many reasons other than FSU and UM blocking our admission...

Big12? -- this really our only hope but if the Big12 didn't make a serious run to expand into Florida by adding FSU....what makes you think that they will would have invited USF? Again, this is our only hope....and we need to position ourselves by building facilities to match our competitors....and obviously getting back in the business of winning football games.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

No, I'd say it was Judy and DW for firing Leavitt and replacing him with a card board cut out of Lou Holtz with a golfing addiction.

If we could have maintained a ranking and had numerous legitimate sell outs, the TV ratings would be better and we'd have had a legitimate case with the B12.  If we had proved we belonged with strength in athletics, attendance, and ratings we'd be safe.  Unfortunately we're back to where we are pre-big east selling the dream alongside UCF.

This and the fact that we lost Mr. Selmon.  He was very helpful in opening doors for this program and creating opportunities.  I miss him.

That was our biggest loss.

He commanded the respect of others and those in charge of realignment would have been eager to listen to his vision.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

He commanded the respect of others and those in charge of realignment would have been eager to listen to his vision.

Not really, see the post above about our realistic chances of making that happen. He's spot on and we never had a chance.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

It's just stupid to use the fact that a school has a direction in its name against them.

I don't think anyone that actually knows anything about college athletics does.  It's more of a fact that most "directional schools" don't have a lot of tradition and clout, USC being the exception.

I don't think anyone looks at USF or UCF and flatly think less of them compared to UF, FSU, or Miami because of the South or Central in our name.  I'd say it's based on knowing that there's more tradition and clout associated with the big 3.

The directional school thing is purely a philosophical argument.

Go to a high school outside of the Tampa metro area and you'll find that this is just not true. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

It will take a lot of luck just like it took USF to get into the BIG EAST. USF did open eyes to the BIG EAST by winning big games so dont think that did not matter. Mike Tranghese and others actually stated that. If USF would have been struggling during that time, then you would prolly see UCF get the BIG EAST invite instead. Also, Miami was the school that didnt want the BIG EAST to look at USF as we were a threat. So dont expect the ACC to even look USF's way with FSU and Miami there. It would take the BIG 10 to become the BIG 16 and the BIG 12 wanting to become the BIG 14 (note that they have already trademarked BIG14 years ago) to give USF a chance. All we can do right now is start winning the games that we have in front of us. If Boise St and others can earn respect then USF can do that to. 

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not really, see the post above about our realistic chances of making that happen. He's spot on and we never had a chance.

Disagree to a certain extent.

When discussions were going on with the Big 12 a couple of years ago there was discussion of WVU, Cincinnati, UL, and USF going together as a package. This was just after Mr. Selmon had passed away. If he was able to be present in those discussions I think representatives from the Big 12 would have listened more attentively when he would have spoken.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

Disagree to a certain extent.

When discussions were going on with the Big 12 a couple of years ago there was discussion of WVU, Cincinnati, UL, and USF going together as a package. This was just after Mr. Selmon had passed away. If he was able to be present in those discussions I think representatives from the Big 12 would have listened more attentively when he would have spoken.

Selmon was an awesome man and a great advocate for the program but i think realignment is being driven by greed not sentiment or force of personality.