• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Cant put much credibility in those articles writen from WVU fans.  BIG 12 may expand but not anytime soon. They will wait until they get snubbed out of the playoff system for not having that CCG before they expand. They proved that point in where they missed out on UL. In the meantime, USF just needs to win and get the fans back in th stand. Didnt UCF drop a return game against WVU years ago that kind of pissed them off? I find it odd that they would want to help UCF out. Did USF piss WVU off or something? 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

But we have more strippers. That will save us.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

Oh Hey this thread is still open?! Wooo! 

It is sad that skippy tarnished our image so, Hopefully Taggs can get us back on track quick enough. These last two wins helped. I just hope he can find 3 more this season. Butts in seats will go a long way regardless of performance. We need to engage our students again.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

***This is how I see it. Also before some of you start accusing, I am fan of Florida College Football (excluding the Gators and Hurricanes)***

Nothing is going to happen until the Playoff Committee is selected and they determine the requirements of the conferences in relation to acceptance into a Playoff system of 4 teams.

The decision of the B12 to shelve expansion at this time is due to money.  Present contracts are in the range of $20-$25M/yr which is divided out evenly between the 10 teams ($2-$2.5M/ea).  Unless FOX comes in an adds at least $10M to the TV contract, there is no monetary reasons for the B12 to expand.  Always follow the money.

So it will come down to the playoff criteria that the committee puts together.  If the committee comes back and says that a requirement of a CCG must take place for any consideration into the playoff system (which really should be 8 teams and not 4, or, 6 teams with #1 and # 2 a bye for the first week) then expect the B12 to expand.  If the committee does not make this requirement, then the B12 will never expand and programs like USF, UCF, Cincy, BYU, Boise State, Houston, UConn will get the perennial shaft.  Division 4 here they come.

If things fall accordingly and the B12 does expand, USF and UCF could only hope for a combo move.  This is where the administrations and Athletic Departments (not fan resentments) must pitch together and pry open every door they can.  They need to market the "War on I-4", the combined TV market, and the close proximity with the 2 schools.  Fans on either side may not like it, but, in the big scheme of things (and I have said this before) this is what they will have to do.  If the administrations and Athletic departments cannot do that, it's game over for the Bulls.  They will get leap frogged by UCF.  And yes this would royally suck.

But why would the B12 possibly take UCF over USF?  On campus stadium and wins over the past couple of years (thank Skip Holtz for that).  To me, that would be the only logical conclusion.

Another aspect to look at here is Texas.  I question how much influence will UT have over this committee.  My gut tells me that UT will influence any possible decisions made by the committee.  So watch what happens and comes out of Austin.  Like it or not, they will be the ones that call the shots through the money that UT makes and spends lobbying.

Until the committee makes this decision on criteria.  All of these teams that are on the bubble regarding possible B12 expansion must WIN.  UCF must knock off #8 Louisville Friday.  USF must punch Louisville in the mouth like they did to #17 Aub and #5 WV.  These type of things have to happen.  And the 2 Athletic programs must stop any and all BS and market each other together.  If not, both are screwed.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Winning has been a small element in expansion

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222

The only reason people are mentioning ucf is because they have a decent team this year. What has usf done lately? We gotta play good football first before anything else.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

I don't really follow, or care to follow basketball but I know that is important (although much less than football) to conferences. How does UCF stack up in basketball to USF? Supposedly from what I have heard here we should be pretty good in both women's and men's basketball.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

"Unmitigated disaster scenario" seems like a huge understatement if UCF were to go instead of us.  They are certainly peaking at the right time, hopefully they don't benefit from it.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

SAD-FAN.gif

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

Winning has been a small element in expansion

For the majority of the conferences I would say I would agree.  However, the B12 is different.  At best they have only 1 team nationally worth a crap and that is OK.  Their other big power is Texas and they are mediocre at best (exception to this past week's win).

For the B12 it is about big name recognition, large national exposures, and wins (in particular for the pending playoff system and trying to flood the playoff system with their own teams).  Also add in how much control Texas has over the B12 and how much control Texas would lose.  (see the FSU, UM, CU debacle from the ACC).

Presently, the only teams that have this are BYU and Cincy.  Let's face reality here.  But with BYU, they have issues of playing other sports outside of football on Sunday when the B12 would require it and neither party is bending.

It's about brands and marketing of brands.  Advertising and $$$$$.  And with the options available to the B12 in regards of programs that could be brought in.  Both USF and UCF are kinda screwed.  I would say UCF has the edge at this point due to beating Penn State on national TV, almost beating USC on nationwide network TV, and playing #8 Louisville this Friday night on ESPN (again more national TV).  This is why their popularity is growing.  So winning means more than some think.  Especially when it involves advertising, marketing, and $$$$$$$$.

At present, the only thing any of the programs on the bubble can do is win.  Nothing is going to happen until the playoff criteria is decided anyways.