• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

"When they begin the "stipend" payments, then it's all over for those not in the p5"

Not only those not in the so called ESPN POWER 5 but others as well  like Wake, Indiana, Vandy, Pitt( who sells about 20,000 tickets a game at most), Northwestern, Colorado, Washington State.          

Im for giving athletes everything they need like Roomand board,, Meals, Books, ect.. If they need shampoo, soap, toothpast ect fine.  But NO MONEY.   Their education free from Student loans and the items I mention above are their pay. 

If they want a Minor league for the NFL than  have one, Not college.     

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

While I hope to get to the Big 12, I believe them when they say they're not expanding. They make $20 mil a year per team. There probably isnt much of a chance that they get the extra $40 mil a year needed to keep that payout at 12 teams

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

"When they begin the "stipend" payments, then it's all over for those not in the p5"

Not only those not in the so called ESPN POWER 5 but others as well like Wake, Indiana, Vandy, Pitt( who sells about 20,000 tickets a game at most), Northwestern, Colorado, Washington State.

Im for giving athletes everything they need like Roomand board,, Meals, Books, ect.. If they need shampoo, soap, toothpast ect fine. But NO MONEY. Their education free from Student loans and the items I mention above are their pay.

If they want a Minor league for the NFL than have one, Not college.

Graduate students work for the university and get a stipend and a tuition waiver, but have to pay for their own room and board, food, and all other expenses, including for their own books and fees. I think following the model by which most graduate research students are compensated would be a great model by which to compensate players. Players are essentially university employees because of their time commitment, not just scholarship students. I think the graduate student model and treating them like employees, giving them the same benefits as grad students, really is pretty fair. However, I dont know if this is practical for all sports. Also, give the team a financial counselor and some personal finance 1st year course requirement. Edited by Gismo

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

While I hope to get to the Big 12, I believe them when they say they're not expanding. They make $20 mil a year per team. There probably isnt much of a chance that they get the extra $40 mil a year needed to keep that payout at 12 teams

Of course there is a huge chance. We are talking FOX. $40mil is nothing to them.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Of course there is a huge chance. We are talking FOX. $40mil is nothing to them.

$40 mil over the remaining 14 years of a TV deal is a lot, even for Fox. My point is, they're not just going to tell the Big 12 to expand for the sake of expanding.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Its not $40 mil for 2 teams needed. Its more than that.

Why $20 mil is for tier 1&2 rights, but if a championship game is added the existing 10 teams want part of it ~$2 mil each.

Also the Big 12 (10) teams split $92 mil from BCS and Sugar bowls. Dividing by 2 more cuts into profits by 2 mil.

Thats why I say for Big 12 expand by 2 teams a base $50 mil needs to be added for existing teams and then payment to 2 teams.

so if foX with F1 and F2 coming wants Big 12 to 12 then if USF/UCF as full its $100mil a year new.

Big 12 is happy at 10 until someone pays them to expand

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I'd contribute like $20 to make it happen

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

Also now in last week SEC and Big12 has took shots at NCAA and stipends.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Ok, fine, $25

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I just wish that there was enough resolve amongst those of us outside of the P5 to tell them to F off and that none of us will play them in basketball. It would be crazy and possibly suicidal but why let them have their cake and eat it too?

IN last year's tourney the seeds from outside the P5 were: 16(seed)-4(teams), 15-4, 13-4, 12-1. 11-3, 10-1, 9-3, 8-1, 7-2, 6-2, 5-2, 4-1, 3-2, 2-1, and 1-1. That's counting UL as a P5 school. We had 12 higher seeds.