• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB AAC Tourney Rd 2 Game Discussion: Bulls vs Wichita State (Mar 12) 12 pm TV: ESPN2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

18 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

If we know what is coming late in games you know the other teams do too. Over the last 3 years we have seen 21 losses where we had the lead in the second half (several double digit leads like against Wichita State). I wonder where this team and program would be if Gregory didn't get tight late in games.

What an absurd stat dug up to support an absurd point of view

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,893
  • Days Won:  67

4 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

What an absurd stat dug up to support an absurd point of view

Chapel and brybull arguing again like old times,  all is right with the world.

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Chapel and brybull arguing again like old times,  all is right with the world.

No argument.  Just pointing out a basic fact.   

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

No argument.  Just pointing out a basic fact.   

As was I. 21 blown second half leads has a pretty big impact on the 'ole won-loss record, and looks even worse when they are almost all lost the same way - going four corners and giving it to the same guy to go 1 on 3. 

Again, just the facts.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,893
  • Days Won:  67

31 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

As was I. 21 blown second half leads has a pretty big impact on the 'ole won-loss record, and looks even worse when they are almost all lost the same way - going four corners and giving it to the same guy to go 1 on 3. 

Again, just the facts.

A fact but a dumb one, most people would take that as had the lead at halftime not had a lead at one time during the second half, hence cherry picking data to support your opinion.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

A fact but a dumb one, most people would take that as had the lead at halftime not had a lead at one time during the second half, hence cherry picking data to support your opinion.

By this argument, CBG has done a great job coaching many "comeback" victories over the past 3 years. 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

By this argument, CBG has done a great job coaching many "comeback" victories over the past 3 years. 

You are correct - he has been the best coach for the other teams late in games, and had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on several occasions. I'm not sure where this undying love for Gregory comes from, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.

What is it that you see in a guy whose last 59 regular season games has gone 24-35, has only had 1 season in the last 10 with an OER in the top half of college basketball, hasn't had a winning conference record since Obama's first year in office and whose defensive DER over the last 3 years has gone from #19 to #51 to #233.

The record doesn't justify the love some of you have for Gregory, and people I know who are in basketball know he is a really good guy but a flawed coach.

My bigger concern is that with the one-time transfer rule due to the pandemic we could lose Murphy and Durr, and if Yetna is offered an LNB contract he is likely headed back to France. With Collins and Brown gone that leaves a team that won't sniff .500 in a conference that is getting stronger.

Those that are defending Gregory are in the minority now. 

Edited by bjef4844

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

If we know what is coming late in games you know the other teams do too. Over the last 3 years we have seen 21 losses where we had the lead in the second half (several double digit leads like against Wichita State). I wonder where this team and program would be if Gregory didn't get tight late in games.

I don't know if it is a matter of being "tight" but rather lack of originality?  Like someone else suggested maybe he goes to Collins because he's stayed here?  Really don't get it.  Glad I don't watch these games live. And the real kicker is I took WS and gave the points.

41 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't know if it is a matter of being "tight" but rather lack of originality?  Like someone else suggested maybe he goes to Collins because he's stayed here?  Really don't get it.  Glad I don't watch these games live. And the real kicker is I took WS and gave the points.

Again, what are the other options?   Murphy took the last shot of the game.   There were many jumpers from multiple guys that didn't go down.   We went to Durr.    The idea that the only thing we do is have DC dribble in and fall down game in and game out is a misnomer.

And USF Basketball has had 3 winning seasons in the past 18 YEARS (that's post-Greenberg) ... 1 of those in our current "flawed" coach's reign.   It was also the year that coach had a guy to run the offense through before he was injured on the eve of the 2019/20 season.   Every coach we get is going to be "flawed" just like the players we recruit.   But we were drubbed through most of the conference season and then our "flawed" coach got is into the quarters and then took the #1 seen to the final buzzer in the conference tourney.   Should we have won?  Yes, but Wichita State fans will tell you it shouldn't have been that close.  

It's not about being in "love" with CBG .... that's just another strawman, troll comment .... it's about looking at the big picture "astutely" and not screaming for a coach to be fired after every losing season.   They can fire CBG tomorrow and I wouldn't blink an eye, but I can see giving him another year.  Hopefully without Covid and hopefully with someone stepping up and being able to take the reins and control the game better