• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Game Discussion: Bulls at UCF (Feb 17) 7 pm TV: ESPNU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

I am not sure what people were expecting this year during a pandemic - Yetna was coming off a major injury, last year's team had a losing record, a freshman guard can't replace one of the best defensive guards in the country and Gregory hasn't had the time to fit his new pieces together so the offense can take off.

Don't forget the mess Gregory had to take over. For that alone MK should give him an extension. It takes times to rebuild a program - Gregory didn't win more than 16 games in a season at Georgia Tech until his 5th season. Just be patient - he is building something special.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

Couldn't make it through the men's game.  Just don't have the stomach for it these days.   Sad really.  My bride and I were discussing this last night.  When we met (7 years ago at another USF men's basketball loss to UCF) she said she was concerned about dating me because she was on USF athletics staff and had to attend games as WORK and I was such a big Bulls fan and booster.  She was afraid we would have no interest or life outside USF athletics.  I described how, first, I couldn't convince my fellow sports-fan friends to go to Bulls games despite the offer of free tickets, food and beer and premium seating and parking.  Now, even I have lost the fire in my belly for USF athletics.  I don't have the answer to this complicated question of fixing what is wrong but I hope that younger, smarter, richer and more ambitious alums and fans can figure a way to make it work.  I tried very hard for very long and, obviously, did not succeed.  I will always support the University and its student athletes but now it will come from a more tempered, though more distant, place.

They could start by putting a competitive/entertaining product on the field/court more than once or twice a decade .... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

I am not sure what people were expecting this year during a pandemic - Yetna was coming off a major injury, last year's team had a losing record, a freshman guard can't replace one of the best defensive guards in the country and Gregory hasn't had the time to fit his new pieces together so the offense can take off.

Don't forget the mess Gregory had to take over. For that alone MK should give him an extension. It takes times to rebuild a program - Gregory didn't win more than 16 games in a season at Georgia Tech until his 5th season. Just be patient - he is building something special.

We were expecting at least 5th place which is where the others coaches in the conference voted us. But instead we got players who are regressing skill wise. If he can’t get 15 wins in this conference next year I say we start looking for replacements. 

1 hour ago, bjef4844 said:

Why would we give him an extension? Where is he going to go? Financial planning like you are describing is one of the reasons  why we don’t have an IPF for football. Gregory deserves nothing until he wins some games in the conference and gets the team to a REAL post season tournament. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

We were expecting at least 5th place which is where the others coaches in the conference voted us. But instead we got players who are regressing skill wise. If he can’t get 15 wins in this conference next year I say we start looking for replacements. 

This is a team that could have finished in the top 4 before the shut down. We had some very winnable games get cancelled. The team was playing better before the break and now the team has alot of rust to knock off. Gregory even mentioned after the game the team wasn't running on a full tank.

I think MK should extend Gregory because it would be a vote of confidence for him that we believe in him and the path he has us on - its the right message to send. And we have seen with the 24 win season what he is capable of here.

Gregory may be the best MBB coach we have had since Lee Rose.

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

They could start by putting a competitive/entertaining product on the field/court more than once or twice a decade .... 

This team is very competitive. We just haven't seen the team gel and play their best yet.

46 minutes ago, bjef4844 said:

This is a team that could have finished in the top 4 before the shut down. We had some very winnable games get cancelled. The team was playing better before the break and now the team has alot of rust to knock off. Gregory even mentioned after the game the team wasn't running on a full tank.

I think MK should extend Gregory because it would be a vote of confidence for him that we believe in him and the path he has us on - its the right message to send. And we have seen with the 24 win season what he is capable of here.

Gregory may be the best MBB coach we have had since Lee Rose.

I disagree with all of your points. No way this team was on a track to be top 4. Top 6 yes but that’s it. We were given a gift to beat Wichita and guess what? We miss free throws...AGAIN! Why give the man more $ so he can feel comfortable. I would rather he feel uncomfortable and get his ass in gear and win conference games. That 24 win season was against out of conference stiffs in a tournament that was a joke. The fact that you think Lee Rose was our best coach tells me all I need to know...I want more than an NIT bid for this program.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

I've read some of the posts on page 13 to see if we won last night. I forgot about the dam game.?. So, as I read through the sentiments it would appear we crapped the bed once again??? Now if we won that game....then your just a bunch of bitchy dudes blowing off at the seams---Which, is possible but I think it stemmed from yet another loss that...should have been a WIN. WTF...this team has a case of the 3rd degree suk. Amazing!!  UCF?  Really?? Can't take 2 games just cant do it..

Ah...if they did win?? I'm sorry for the preceding statement. Cool thing about society today. You can say something really chitty about someone and then just say...Oh Sorry!! 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

40 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I disagree with all of your points. 

Dude, he is trolling

16 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

I've read some of the posts on page 13 to see if we won last night. I forgot about the dam game.?. So, as I read through the sentiments it would appear we crapped the bed once again??? Now if we won that game....then your just a bunch of bitchy dudes blowing off at the seams---Which, is possible but I think it stemmed from yet another loss that...should have been a WIN. WTF...this team has a case of the 3rd degree suk. Amazing!!  UCF?  Really?? Can't take 2 games just cant do it..

Ah...if they did win?? I'm sorry for the preceding statement. Cool thing about society today. You can say something really chitty about someone and then just say...Oh Sorry!! 

We didn't just lose ... we were blown out the gym

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

I do have concerns that year after year our teams have same issues, bad free throws, bad shooting. At one point these issues have to be fixed and if they continue regardless who the players are then the fault falls on the coaches. With that said I think Gregory has improved the program from the abyss it was when he took it over.