• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playoff Bound Rays

Guest Jonesy Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, brybull1970 said:

That's what I am concerned about. The Rays had by far the worst contact rate on pitches inside the strike zone - the whole team was bad at it, with Adames and Lowe being some of the worst in the majors.

Right now Franco walks more than he strikes out and nobody on the big club needs to mess with his swing.

I agree 100%. It seems like very few offensive players improve once they make it to the show. There should be strict orders to leave Franco alone. 

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Why would anyone mess with his swing?

Coaches are always trying to make things better...which our hitting coaches for the past 20 plus years can’t do. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

I get why they do it ($$$) but this philosophy will never be good enough to win the World Series. I hope I’m wrong. If they are really serious about going all the way they will have to get a couple higher quality offensive players. 

The hit show wasn't good enough to even make the playoffs.   They tried to make a move or two after they lost to the Phillies in the WS and it blew up in their face.   

Ironically, the loss tonight is largely due to our alleged "ace" crapping the bed

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

Coaches are always trying to make things better...which our hitting coaches for the past 20 plus years can’t do. 

Not as much at the major league level although the one guy we had for awhile was awful.  Name is escaping me

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

They compete but they won't win a World Series. 

Then to me what’s the point in playing? With just a couple players they could be so much better. If ownership wants to win they have the chance to the next couple years, but need to spend some $$$

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The hit show wasn't good enough to even make the playoffs.   They tried to make a move or two after they lost to the Phillies in the WS and it blew up in their face.   

Ironically, the loss tonight is largely due to our alleged "ace" crapping the bed

Not as much at the major league level although the one guy we had for awhile was awful.  Name is escaping me

The hit show was also a bunch of washed up old guys. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:
Edited by Rex Havoc

1 minute ago, Rex Havoc said:

Then to me what’s the point in playing? With just a couple players they could be so much better. If ownership wants to win they have the chance to the next couple years, but need to spend some $$$

Well that's the problem, but like I said they went out and got Burrell back in the day and it blew up in their face.  

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Well that's the problem, but like I said they went out and got Burrell back in the day and it blew up in their face.  

Again a guy at the end of his career. Gotta be able to draft offensive players that will contribute. We suck as an organization at that. Maybe we could trade some of our pitching depth for players who can actually put the ball in play. 

As for your comment about Snell...can’t stand the kid. He’s a head case and seems mentally weak. Plus he can’t even pitch more than 5 innings. Definitely not an ace that comes through in the clutch. 

Edited by Rex Havoc

3 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

Again a guy at the end of his career. Gotta be able to draft offensive players that will contribute. We suck as an organization at that. Maybe we could trade some of our pitching depth for players who can actually put the ball in play. 

As for your comment about Snell...can’t stand the kids. He’s a head case and seems mentally weak. Plus he can’t even pitch more than 5 innings. 

Drafting is an inexact science.  They focus on pitching and defense because it's a proven tried and true way to compete and give themselves a chance.   They aren't going to go out and get an ARod or a Harper, etc because they can't afford to tie that much money up into a player.   

I'd like to see them sign a stud hitter or two myself, but I'm not holding my breath.   I enjoy watching a team play good, competitive baseball.

By the way, appreciate the conversation and your takes.  Nice to have as opposed to just a bunch of trolling

Edited by chapelbull

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Drafting is an inexact science.  They focus on pitching and defense because it's a proven tried and true way to compete and give themselves a chance.   They aren't going to go out and get an ARod or a Harper, etc because they can't afford to tie that much money up into a player.   

Well whoever is doing their drafting sucks at drafting quality hitting prospects. We’ve only had a couple in 24 years. Not very good. The Rays had a revenue of 264 million and payroll of 68 million last year (Forbes article). They have the money, they just won’t spend it. Sternberg acts like he’s losing money. 

Edited by Rex Havoc

3 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

Well whoever is doing their drafting sucks at drafting quality hitting prospects. We’ve only had a couple in 24 years. Not very good 

lol, touche.   If we figure out a way to scratch out a W in the 9th or tomorrow night, we have a good shot at a WS crown

Edited by chapelbull