• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Alwan Lee Commits to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Exactly SC...  that just proves your whole ******** point even more.  ;D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

See, Matt Grothe

Agreed.  Point is we need a few more Matt Grothe's in the fold, not the tweeners.  Look, I think a lot of us are sick and tired of the experimentation at the QB position.  Give us drop back, in the pocket passers, not some kid who may have thrown a little more than 100 passes in his high school career (Julmiste).

Guest S.  Bien

I want to save you all the trouble.  I've seen Alwan Lee play QB three times in his career.  He's a tremendous athlete, but if the staff puts him in our current offense to run, or makes him the only QB recruit then they should be taken out back to be tarred and feathered.

Lee's a great athlete, but he's Courtney Denson, Gachette style dude.  A great athlete at QB, who's got a pretty strong arm, numerous throwing hitches, is only comfortable throwing the ball on the run, loves to run, has great speed, but in the end he's a project.

Again, I am expecting this to be a Gachette style experiment, maybe a Carlton Hill style....Alwan Lee is a good size athlete that's amazingly elusive, and has good speed.  From Miami you can never get enough of those athletes.  Not to mention he's a respected kid and leader down there, and might help us land more Miami kids.

All I got to say is this better not be the extent of their QB recruiting this year!

I want to save you all the trouble.  I've seen Alwan Lee play QB three times in his career.  He's a tremendous athlete, but if the staff puts him in our current offense to run, or makes him the only QB recruit then they should be taken out back to be tarred and feathered.

Lee's a great athlete, but he's Courtney Denson, Gachette style dude.  A great athlete at QB, who's got a pretty strong arm, numerous throwing hitches, is only comfortable throwing the ball on the run, loves to run, has great speed, but in the end he's a project.

Again, I am expecting this to be a Gachette style experiment, maybe a Carlton Hill style....Alwan Lee is a good size athlete that's amazingly elusive, and has good speed.  From Miami you can never get enough of those athletes.  Not to mention he's a respected kid and leader down there, and might help us land more Miami kids.

All I got to say is this better not be the extent of their QB recruiting this year!

Right on!!  Any inroads we can make in the Miami area are helpful.

Smith has clearly proven his ineptitude at "producing" QB's here.  Hell, he hasn't even improved any of them.  Stop recruiting kids that are projects at the QB position.  

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  122

I attended the game last year in which he tore threw the Armwood defense with his arm. He did not appear to be a quarterback that has the natural inclination to scramble. He only scrambled in that game when the pocket collapsed, and he was forced to. The majority of the time he stayed in the pocket and delivered the pass. The fact of the matter is that he would have beaten that great Armwood team had it not been for a few miscues by other teammates.

In that game Booker T. Washington used a combination of both a base offense, and a spread offense. There were plenty of times when they had four of five wide outs and he delivered the ball to them with precise accuracy. This guy is a true quarterback who can throw but also has the ability to run when needed (Vick-Va. Tech and Hagens-UVA are good examples). Whether he can develop into a great player remains to be seen, but the skills are there.

I was very impressed with what I say first hand from this athlete, and at the time he was only junior. I would hope that he would continue to progress this year, and come to USF ready to compete. Here is a novel idea, why don’t we give him the chance to be a bust, before we being labeling him one?

Here is a novel idea, why don’t we give him the chance to be a bust, before we being labeling him one?

Ronnie Banks, Pat Julmiste, Glen Gaunt, Louis Gachette, Evan Kraky, Courtney Denson (maybe).....should I go on?

Not saying this kid would be a bust.  Sounds like he's a great athlete and a great pickup.  What I'm saying is that we need to continue to find true QB's.  Not someone whose potentially better at another postion, but we'll put him at QB because we need to try someone there.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,577
  • Days Won:  29

We're getting a fine athlete ... usually the best athlete plays HS football, I'm H A P P Y  ;D

Guest S.  Bien

DC,

I'll have to check, but I remember two of his biggest pass plays were broken play scrambles.  He also throws better on the run, and he made a number of huge plays against Armwood with his legs.

Do you recall the like 3rd and something ridiculously long play in which he ran like 30 yards for the first- there was a personnel foul penalty when RJ Anderson hit him out of bounds which led to one of their LB's on the sidelines getting ejected?  That's Alwan at his best.

I like this selection, he's definitely an adept thrower but he's a project.

Listen, if you don't think Denson is a good QB then I can tell you Alwan is like a mirror clone of Denson in HS.  My problem isn't that I don't think Denson or Alwan can't be good college QB's, just not in our current offensive system, at least with the guy running the show and the plays being called.

Guest S.  Bien

Ronnie Banks, Pat Julmiste, Glen Gaunt, Louis Gachette, Evan Kraky, Courtney Denson (maybe).....should I go on?

Not saying this kid would be a bust.  Sounds like he's a great athlete and a great pickup.  What I'm saying is that we need to continue to find true QB's.  Not someone whose potentially better at another postion, but we'll put him at QB because we need to try someone there.

Well 95,

Here's my problem many of those guys can be decent college QB's, but the system must be tailored around them.  I actually believe Denson has attributes to be a good college QB, for example there's no way that Randolph at Wake Forest is as good as Denson but he excels because their Coach tailors an offense around his strengths.  If Alwan was to come in and play QB in this system with Smith running the show he'd have the same struggles that Denson is experiencing.

This is college not the NFL.  The NFL gets a chance to weed players out and only grab the best of the best.  In college you've got to adjust, adapt, make due with what's at your disposal.

Well 95,

Here's my problem many of those guys can be decent college QB's, but the system must be tailored around them.  I actually believe Denson has attributes to be a good college QB, for example there's no way that Randolph at Wake Forest is as good as Denson but he excels because their Coach tailors an offense around his strengths.  If Alwan was to come in and play QB in this system with Smith running the show he'd have the same struggles that Denson is experiencing.

This is college not the NFL.  The NFL gets a chance to weed players out and only grab the best of the best.  In college you've got to adjust, adapt, make due with what's at your disposal.

I'll agree with your points.  Especially about tailoring the system, which our coaches for some reason can't/won't do.