• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Alwan Lee Commits to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

Its amazing that during a time of problems at the QB position that people are ******** that QB's are committing to USF.

How is that a problem... if he doesn't work out at QB, at least give him the opportunity and then move him to the other position the bigger schools wanted him at.  If he works out, AWESOME!

Right now, the more QB's we have that played for good teams, the better!

the more "Qb's" you have on the roster, the less likely you are to get another QB to commit

and im getting tired of hearing about Grothe, this is the same thing that happened with Denson last year.  Everyone thought CD was going to be the savior eventhough he had not taken ONE snap.  Before everyone starts claiming Grothe for heisman, lets see him in a game

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

BG95, how can you complain about not having a pure passer, then use Ronnie Banks as an example?   He was a passer... certainly not a runner.  He wasn't very successful here, but he fits what you want.  

I want successful, regardless if they are pure passers or not, and getting a bunch of winning QB's will increase the likelyhood of finding the right guy.  Just getting a pure passer doesn't mean squat.  I agree about Smith, i'm happy he was promoted out of the QB coach position, but now i'm waiting for him to be promoted/demoted to towelboy.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not claiming grothe to be a savior, but he is a mobile passer that comes from a winning program.  The kid could be the best QB we ever had, or he could be a flop, but its good that we have him.  

The more GOOD QB's you have, the tougher it is to get a commit.  I don't think anyone was scared of committing to use because we had severino/gachette/pj on the roster.  I think they are more worried about Grothe/Hill/Denson, all of whom have loads of talent.  And they are probably more worried about Smith.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

BG95, how can you complain about not having a pure passer, then use Ronnie Banks as an example?   He was a passer... certainly not a runner.  He wasn't very successful here, but he fits what you want.  

I want successful, regardless if they are pure passers or not, and getting a bunch of winning QB's will increase the likelyhood of finding the right guy.  Just getting a pure passer doesn't mean squat.  I agree about Smith, i'm happy he was promoted out of the QB coach position, but now i'm waiting for him to be promoted/demoted to towelboy.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who has the mechanics/mind to be a QB, and doen't need a whole lot of tutelage.  We've been told that Grothe has those skills.  I understand that when you sign a kid out of HS it really is a crapshoot.  Ideally we'd get a kid with some proven passing ability and have some coaches who can DEVELOP him.  Maybe that is the bigger issue here the DEVELOPMENT or lack thereof with our QBs.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93

Former Lakewood star Pat Carter, the Georgia Tech transfer who was supposed to start anew this fall at South Florida, then at Florida, says he has found a home.

Carter was scheduled to take a flight today to Louisville, start classes Monday, pick up a football scholarship in January and begin competing as a receiver next fall.

"I'm getting the vibe that they really want me there," said Carter, who will have two years of eligibility after sitting out this season.

Carter said he initially chose USF because he wanted to play quarterback, but changed his mind after seeing the way coach Jim Leavitt felt about the six quarterbacks already on campus.

"I don't feel too confident in their quarterbacks, but it seemed like coach was content with his players," said Carter. "He said he only wants players who want to be there, and I never felt 100 percent sure I wanted to be there."

Carter won't be able to travel with Louisville when the Cardinals play at Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 24, but he'll be a senior when Louisville returns in 2007.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

I think it's key to understand that he'll have an opportunity to play QB...no commitment there.  It sounds like the other schools just squelched the whole idea....see Gachette.  I think that has worked out just fine.

• Content Count:  1,480

but if the staff puts him in our current offense to run, or makes him the only QB recruit then they should be taken out back to be tarred and feathered.

I'll take you one step further, if we have the same offensive staff next year Leavitt ought to be tarred and feathered.

and im getting tired of hearing about Grothe, this is the same thing that happened with Denson last year.  Everyone thought CD was going to be the savior eventhough he had not taken ONE snap.  Before everyone starts claiming Grothe for heisman, lets see him in a game

It doesn't really matter who we get, unless it is someone that has been groomed well enough at the high school level to play D1a ball then they will be a bust. Our staff is completely incapable of preparing anyone to play offense. Heck, even if we get lucky and find a qb pre-packaged and ready to go we're just as incapable of preparing receivers to catch.

We should be focusing our recruiting efforts on a new offensive staff otherwise we'll be watching the same show with different actors year after year.

Guest S.  Bien

I'll take you one step further, if we have the same offensive staff next year Leavitt ought to be tarred and feathered.

It doesn't really matter who we get, unless it is someone that has been groomed well enough at the high school level to play D1a ball then they will be a bust. Our staff is completely incapable of preparing anyone to play offense. Heck, even if we get lucky and find a qb pre-packaged and ready to go we're just as incapable of preparing receivers to catch.

We should be focusing our recruiting efforts on a new offensive staff otherwise we'll be watching the same show with different actors year after year.

I am with ya Bullheaded, but I am not for firing Frey, and probably not Franks providing that if the OC was let go we got one that was compatable with both.  If not, then bring in a proven OC, and allow him to hire his end of the staff.  The OL has made good strides under Frey.

• Content Count:  1,480

I am with ya Bullheaded, but I am not for firing Frey, and probably not Franks providing that if the OC was let go we got one that was compatable with both.  If not, then bring in a proven OC, and allow him to hire his end of the staff.  The OL has made good strides under Frey.

I agree with keeping Franks. Actually he is a perfect example, people give alot of credit to Andre and it's well deserved but I don't think it is coincidence that our running attack completely shaped up with the upgrade to Franks. I used to cringe everytime we ran the ball prior to Franks...that horrendous shotgun snap, qb/rb collision handoff followed by the consistent 1-2 yard loss. The upgrade to franks and we have a competent running game and Ponton looking like he is getting groomed to be as good or better the Andre. Ahhhh what it would be like to see this same efficiency and improvement in the passing game.

Frey, I'm up and down with him. Sometimes the line looks great and other times pretty crappy but certainly your right that he isn't the disaster the others are.