• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

is the football team getting stronger?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, BiggTipp said:

I would be more concerned with squat, deadlift, clean and jerk...dont get me wrong...bench press is very important but a small piece of the puzzle.

This is exactly what the former staff said to my son. He was being looked at. Said lower body strength was the key.

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, jchem1995 said:

This is exactly what the former staff said to my son. He was being looked at. Said lower body strength was the key.

When I had a personal trainer, that's what he use to tell me too.  I hated leg day, but he said that was more important than upper body.  Especially for us guys that are getting older, it helps alot with keeping up the Testosterone levels.

For a football player, I would imagine lower body strength greatly helps you drive your opponent and with balance.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,569
  • Days Won:  28

35 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

When I had a personal trainer, that's what he use to tell me too.  I hated leg day, but he said that was more important than upper body.  Especially for us guys that are getting older, it helps alot with keeping up the Testosterone levels.

For a football player, I would imagine lower body strength greatly helps you drive your opponent and with balance.

You use your arms to tackle and shed blocks. I remember Deadrin Senat was throwing players out ofhis way with one arm. Bench pressing 300Ibs as a DT is unacceptable when you are suppose to be the strongest group of players on the team.

Edited by Gatorbull325

Guest Jonesy Bull
52 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

You use your arms to tackle and shed blocks. I remember Deadrin Senat was throwing players out ofhis way with one arm. Bench pressing 300Ibs as a DT is unacceptable when you are suppose to be the strongest group of players on the team.

Of course upper body strength is very important as well.....an even balance between the two is key, at least according to my Personal Trainer.  But that was just me getting into shape.  I was never a football player.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

My hope is since the end of the off-season, yes...there is a TON of work that these kids need to do though to change the culture of the program 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,569
  • Days Won:  28

34 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Of course upper body strength is very important as well.....an even balance between the two is key, at least according to my Personal Trainer.  But that was just me getting into shape.  I was never a football player.

Just to clarify, I feel lower body strength is just as important so I'm not saying you are wrong.  As for myself at 42 years old, I am too **** top heavy lol So I desperately need to workout my legs lol 

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Just to clarify, I feel lower body strength is just as important so I'm not saying you are wrong.  As for myself at 42 years old, I am too **** top heavy lol So I desperately need to workout my legs lol 

It doesn't get any easier as you get older believe me.  I'm 11 years older than you.

Whats working for me is a Boot Camp class.  One day they concentrate on legs, the next day is upper body, the next day is Core, the next day is a mixture.....and its go go go for 30 - 45 minutes, with Cario mixed in between.

At my age, I'm getting in better shape now, than I've been in since my 20s and early 30s.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:35 AM, CousinRicky said:

Think those last minute collapses were more on the D C and not so much conditioning.  

Was it Chris Cosh? If so I stand corrected and agree.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 2/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, Jonesy Bull said:

It doesn't get any easier as you get older believe me.  I'm 11 years older than you.

Whats working for me is a Boot Camp class.  One day they concentrate on legs, the next day is upper body, the next day is Core, the next day is a mixture.....and its go go go for 30 - 45 minutes, with Cario mixed in between.

At my age, I'm getting in better shape now, than I've been in since my 20s and early 30s.

you need the proper diet

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

13 hours ago, pascobull said:

Was it Chris Cosh? If so I stand corrected and agree.

Believe it was.