• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Orange Bowl (you can choose more than one)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

While the pro's and con's of tradtional college stadiums v pro stadiums can be argued to infinity, I think thig biggest negative to the O bowl is the unsavory part of town in which it is located. Fortunately I got to ride a bus there, because I don't think I would have wanted to park my own car there. The class of people attending the USF games in RJ is totally different. And while there can be drunk and rowdy fans anywhere, I can't envision ever wanting to take my little girls to the Orange Bowl in thier USF cheerleading uniforms like I do when I go to RJ Stadium.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Yes, Miami fans are terrible (i posted a few weeks ago about my stories there for the UF and Clemson games). Beer thrown on Gator fans and plastic bottles hitting the Clemson fans.

Yes the Louisville game was very loud, but only in spurts. Go watch a game at any aged BCS team and you will see a totally different atmosphere. Every game is loud at all times. I have been to many college games including a few at Pitt (grandfather is alumnus). The difference in the corwd at Pitt Stadium v. Heinz Field is amazing! The Heinz field crowd is subdued and quiet whereas the Pitt Stadium crowd was always noisy and exciting.

The point of my post is yes the stadium was nasty, and the bathrooms smelt, and the parking lots were dirt and mud. The fans were terrible, but teh environment was great! Anyone who believes we have that type of environment for our games (Miami considers us a cupcake) is serious wearing the Bull Blinders.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

I checked "Oh Yeah" only because I want to support the Bulls. We had a super crowd. I'm still pissed they put the band in the upper deck so no one could hear them.

I grew up in Miami and the bowl was a toilet decades ago.

All it has is memories.

The rest sucks.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Were you at the UL game last week?  That was just about the loudest crowd I've ever heard at RJS.  Stadium has nothing to do with crowd noise.

I was going to say the same thing.  I think we've tended to have quiet crowds because we have either played someone we were blowing out (boring) or the opposite (not fun.)  When we have good game (both Louisville's, TCU, etc,) we can get the place rockin.

BTW - don't forget, you were comparing a crowd of 58k to our normal 25-30k.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The OB is far worse than Legions field, if only because of the area it's in.  

..and it took the whole second quarter to get our order from the ONE vendor on our side of the stadium.  

THat scene was NOT a college football atmosphere.  The atmosphere is much more college like at RJS.  This was more of a seedy bar/dirty strip joint/thugged out club type of atmosphere.

Never again.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The OB is far worse than Legions field, if only because of the area it's in.  

..and it took the whole second quarter to get our order from the ONE vendor on our side of the stadium.  

THat scene was NOT a college football atmosphere.  The atmosphere is much more college like at RJS.  This was more of a seedy bar/dirty strip joint/thugged out club type of atmosphere.

Never again.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Legion Field also has ample parking associated with the stadium.  But...Legion Field is REALLY falling apart.  Isn't the top section condemned?  Or maybe it has already been removed.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

I was also curious how the OB compared to Legion Field?   I thought that place was a major dump as well.  Even the Bama fans apologized to us for having to play them there!

I disagree with Beastiebull.  I was at both the Orange Bowl and Legion Field, and I thought Legion was much worse.  Plus, the Bama fans were much bigger jerks to me than the Miami fans.  

Maybe a difference is that I didn't sit in the USF section, but rather sat with some other friends of mine in section X.  However, I had no line going to the bathroom, I went to buy a soda at halftime and found four people in front of me at the concession stand.  

Legion Field had more amenities (better sound system and scoreboard, for example), but between the horrible restroom and concession stand situation and the poorly designed entrance to the seats, I'd have to say the Orange Bowl is better.

FWIW, most of the classic stadiums are not as great as people make them out to be.  For example, the Rose Bowl is a piece of crap, too.  Lousy bleachers, only a few ways into the seats... just poorly designed.  And yet people go because of the atmosphere.  I've been to many stadiums and I think that the closed end of the Orange Bowl is among the loudest and most intimidating in either college or pro football.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400

Guys its college football, if you want all those great amenities then goto an NFL game! The reason they can't afford the "amenities" that many pro stadiums have (cupholders!? is it THAT big a deal?) is because tickets are 1/5th the price!

the tickets cost me $45 each for the nose blead section they were not 1/5 the price of the nfl game!!

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

With out a doubt I would go to the OB again if we play Miami. They fans were obnoxious and drunk, but overall they were not that bad. I thought a really small percentage of our fans were bigger A Holes than any of the Miami fans. I am not sure how many times I was spit on, fell on, or was totally disrepected by a student. Because I wouldn't join in on his crass insulting cheers. If you have to turn racial or cuss, then you shouldn't probably have that 5th or 20th Presidente.

When I say a small percentage of our fans I mean like 3 to 6.