• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Orange Bowl (you can choose more than one)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

Legion Field comparisons are not really all that important to me for two reasons:

1) Bama does not play there any more andhated playing there for many years.

2) UAB plays there and we don't play them anymore.

For what it is worth, you would think that the OB would have at the very least some sort of way to see an instant replay of the last play. It was filthy. The plumbing in the men's room was in total disrepair with water freely flowing all over the place. I can see why they relegate the visitors to that area-- it's probably the only part that they take no care of whatsoever.

Ease of entry? Please-- it took 20 minutes to weave through the maze we went through to get to the correct jammed packed area that was our section. One advantage over Legion Armpit was the fairly wide open bathrooms and ability to buy beer (without them running out no less).

I cannot think of two other stadiums that are quite as gross as these two. You would think that as Miami's main home venue, they would do something.... anything to make it nicer for all fans.

As for the neighborhood around the OB/LF-- they were both in the poor part of town. The difference was that OB parking is right on top of the stadium while LF has wide open fields to use (not to mention available and much cheaper).

You know-- fans are not supposed to be screaming and cheering during an offensive play. If that is the lull you are referring to, learn that we are being quiet when we are on offense. Doing the wave while we are on offense is beyond dumb. SO is making a ton of noise that makes our own team have trouble with audibles. We are loud at the right times-- SO WAS MIAMI imo.

Anyway-- the event is over and possibly never happening again in that venue. Plans for a baseball stadium are being discussed. They will tear down that filth pit and have the Canes play in Dolphin Stadium. I know I would prefer playing in a more sterile/less historic venue simply for my comfort/safety level. We've been to the old place and yeah--- that is over and we can say we did it (and ***** about it if you want). But I don't really care to have to go back there.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Miami started and ended the wave while the were on offense which was the only reason I let my girlfriend participate, that and she said it was the most exciting part of the game :'(

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Still don't understand why our fans participated in that stupid wave.  Makes us look kind of dumb.  

Why didn't we just participate in the "Go canes" chants as well?  We let them talk junk to us, beat the hell out of our team and then help them "celebrate" by doing the wave?!  Makes no sense.

Miami fans started the wave while they were on offense because the game was out of hand by that time

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

If you sampled any number of their fans I think you would find they did it because they do not know any better, they saw someone else doing and they followed in kind.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765
  • Days Won:  0

There was an alternative to parking at the Orange Bowl mentioned on one of the cane sites.   You can go to the UM campus and park for free and they have inexpensive buses that will take you from there to the game.   The campus is actually very nice.  It is understandable why they do not want to play at Robbie.  The Orange Bowl is much closer to the UM campus with Robbie pretty much on the other side of the world.  

The whole experiance helps with understanding why attendance has been a problem for the Canes.   You have to give them props for drawing fifty-eight thousand for our game.   The behavior of the fans was not the worse I have seen.   While at an LSU / UF game some Gators got physical with a couple little old ladies because they were wearing LSU gear.    At the Orange Bowl there was some jearing, but it seemed to be all in fun and I never feared for my safety; however, I have been in some bad situations in some very rough areas, so I may not have the same sensitivity level as many.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765

Still don't understand why our fans participated in that stupid wave.  Makes us look kind of dumb.  

Why didn't we just participate in the "Go canes" chants as well?  We let them talk junk to us, beat the hell out of our team and then help them "celebrate" by doing the wave?!  Makes no sense.

Miami fans started the wave while they were on offense because the game was out of hand by that time

They wanted to make noise while their offense was on the field it only seemed right to help out.    Some of their players actually motioned to the crowd to stop.

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866

I wouldn't trade stadiums with them, but I'd trade crowds in a heartbeat.  

Student section standing for 60 minutes (and they would have stayed if we made a game of it), the Star Wars music every time the defense takes the field with the fans waving the U.  On third and long, you have no chance to use a snapcount out of the shotgun.  Yes, we're not talking the most polished group of fans, but they were passionate and loud.  Between the horrid conditions and the loud crowd, it's one of the best home-field advantages I've seen.  For their sake I hope they don't move to JRS, which is a great place to watch a game, but they would lose a big part of that advantage.  That place works for them, its rough and tumble. like the Hurricanes reputation.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

I wouldn't trade stadiums with them, but I'd trade crowds in a heartbeat.  

Student section standing for 60 minutes (and they would have stayed if we made a game of it), the Star Wars music every time the defense takes the field with the fans waving the U.  On third and long, you have no chance to use a snapcount out of the shotgun.  Yes, we're not talking the most polished group of fans, but they were passionate and loud.  Between the horrid conditions and the loud crowd, it's one of the best home-field advantages I've seen.  For their sake I hope they don't move to JRS, which is a great place to watch a game, but they would lose a big part of that advantage.  That place works for them, its rough and tumble. like the Hurricanes reputation.

Their mascot sure did a great job of getting the crowd involved in chanting C-A-N-E-S CANES, including a nice build-up to the chant.  

They also did a decent job with yelling "first down."  Now I know how a visitor feels with the McDonald's jingle at RJS...

USFFan

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Thank You Colin, exactly what I am saying (about the atmosphere). The Orange Bowl is a craphole. But it is what gives Miami such an advantage. Moving to Dolphins Stadium would ruin that atmosphere.

A plush situation like RJS is nice, but it will not make an atmosphere like the Miami crowd game in and game out. Too many distractions...