• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bring back the boxes for other teams

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

26 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Completely agree...we caught a unicorn with BE.   Not taking advantage of that opportunity put us right where we are. 

So, you likely do know there were other applicants.  So we "caught a unicorn", or we showed the most promise with the best upstart in CFB history?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

48 minutes ago, Brad said:

So, you likely do know there were other applicants.  So we "caught a unicorn", or we showed the most promise with the best upstart in CFB history?

The BE commissioner at the time did think USF was program “who could” be more but he was also very specific about the Tampa market and a presence in Florida 

But didn't choose UCF?  Geez with their central location and history in football they could have dominated TV sets in all of Florida.

If it was the "Tampa market" sounds like it was a big mistake by the BE, not catching a unicorn.

UCF was behind USF but if you recall their biggest issue was their gym. There was no way that was going to fly in BE Basketball land.

So you are telling me you were not surprised USF was selected by the BE? Please...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

UCF was behind USF but if you recall their biggest issue was their gym. There was no way that was going to fly in BE Basketball land. 

I recall their gym, known as "the garage" was a craphole, but don't recall that ever being revealed as an issue.  The Big East was looking to replace football programs that left (Boston College, Miami and Va. Tech).  They wanted to replace the loss they had in Florida especially (Miami).  USF was the choice.  USF had, at that time, far exceeded anything the Tinmen could dream up, beating Top 25 teams at home and on the road in their first years on the scene.  It had far much more to do with what USF offered than what held UCF back.  Period.

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

I recall their gym, known as "the garage" was a craphole, but don't recall that ever being revealed as an issue.  The Big East was looking to replace football programs that left (Boston College, Miami and Va. Tech).  They wanted to replace the loss they had in Florida especially (Miami).  USF was the choice.  USF had, at that time, far exceeded anything the Tinmen could dream up, beating Top 25 teams at home and on the road in their first years on the scene.  It had far much more to do with what USF offered than what held UCF back.  Period.

I don’t argue with your above point and I stated that being in Florida was key and this included the potential of market share growing. We were certainly ahead of ucf in every metric at that time. Yes football is king but BE basketball was also a player. But we offered “potential” at the end of the day. If they were going to Florida they had no choice but USF. 

We were their BEST choice.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Painful as it is for some to accept, USF is right where it deserves to be and it has nothing to do with CJL ...

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Completely agree...we caught a unicorn with BE.   Not taking advantage of that opportunity put us right where we are. 

To quote something heard recently, with the the utmost respect, I disagree. Sounds like you're intimating that USF could have done something to avoid us being where we are and I just don't think that's the case

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

To quote something heard recently, with the the utmost respect, I disagree. Sounds like you're intimating that USF could have done something to avoid us being where we are and I just don't think that's the case

I think a few conference championships with a few NYD games would not have hurt the cause. Not saying it would have got us in a more desirable position but it could have. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

13 hours ago, Brad said:

We were their BEST choice.

Not so sure. They dumped us.

• Upvote 1