• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

3rd down defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

So I saw the 3rd 4th down stats for Houston. They converted 15-20... I know we were against a top offense in the nation, but we can't get rolled on 3rd down and expect to walk away with a W.

The frustration was obvious on the field, so I hope the defense got a reality check and are able to make the necessary changes.

Edited by Justin C

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

It looks like on 3rd down they chose to not fully rush the QB so as to not get too far up field and turn him lose as a runner so consequently he had all day to throw.  The first 3rd down of the game was a 3rd and 10 that he had all day to throw and converted.  When he did run we were totally out of our gaps, took bad angles and poorly tackled.  Other than that the defense played great.

3 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

It looks like on 3rd down they chose to not fully rush the QB so as to not get too far up field and turn him lose as a runner so consequently he had all day to throw.  The first 3rd down of the game was a 3rd and 10 that he had all day to throw and converted.  When he did run we were totally out of our gaps, took bad angles and poorly tackled.  Other than that the defense played great.

With all due respect, I don't see how you can say that the defense played great. Third and fourth down are the only Downs that matter on the field. If you convert on 3rd or 4th, then Downs 1 and 2 (3) are insignificant.

Keeping the ball out of Houston's hands was the only shot that we had at winning this game. Our defense folded on big downs and let their offense stay on the field. This alone cost us the game.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

It's our nature.  Scorpions sting, dogs bark, and USF's defense can't stop 3rd or 4th and long downs.  It's been that way for years with no salvation in site.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

2 minutes ago, Justin C said:

With all due respect, I don't see how you can say that the defense played great. Third and fourth down are the only Downs that matter on the field. If you convert on 3rd or 4th, then Downs 1 and 2 (3) are insignificant.

Keeping the ball out of Houston's hands was the only shot that we had at winning this game. Our defense folded on big downs and let their offense stay on the field. This alone cost us the game.

/sarcasm 

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, El_Toro_86 said:

My bad...need to work on my sarcasm 

It's OK.  Charlie just wanted to give us something to get past that 4th and 24 of last year.

1 minute ago, El_Toro_86 said:

My bad...need to work on my sarcasm 

Lol no worries, I haven't figured a good way to pick up on sarcasm on the interwebs.