• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tailgate

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I'm throwing a tailgate for the UCF game in Tampa and wanted some experienced tailgaters' thoughts on what I should bring/have.  I have some ideas already, but I want to get some others perspective on what a good tailgate offers.  Mainly talking about different kinds of food that can be easily stored, etc.  But I'm also looking for other ideas, such as hooking up a TV.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Number one Joe is to look out for Undercover cops trying to bust you for underage. If you have a keg, sit by it, do not move let everyone know that if they are under 21, no sippy! I had one last year, kept a great eye on what was going out, everything was fine until some underagers had someone who was not a member of my party go over and get them a few beers. It wasn't until I told the undercovers what I had done and the admittance that they sneaked it by having someone get it for them, that I was able to stay out of the pokie!

Brats, hotdogs are a good fair. Small, simple, does not spoil. If you have the cooler capacity, then hamburgers, chicken, or other meats. Forget potatoe salad, or mac salad. The mayo spoils fast, even in coolers. Remember, you have to break this all down before you go in to the game. So plan for that or else you will be missing the game. TV's, your choice. I personally don't like em at the tailer.    Reaper

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  127

Here's a couple of great sources to get you started:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/tailgatingacc/l/bltailchecklist.htm

http://www.tailgating.com/default.htm

I always bring a canopy for rain & sun protection.  And definitely a bunch of those nylon folding chairs.  Never tried a TV.

As for food...Dogs & sausages are always easy for grilling onsite.  Ditto with wings.  If I don't want to mess with the grill at the tailgate, I'll do it earlier in the day and just bring in the heated food.

Bean/taco dips are also easy.  A crockpot of melted Velveeta with jalepeno relish or salsa has always been a hit for us (with the required chips).  As is chili...esp in the cold season.

If storage is the key, just about any kind of finger food you can think of that can easily be chased down with a beer or coke will do the job.  Vodka and tequila jello shots also store easily in a cooler as well  ;D

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Depends on how intricate you want to get.  Our group has done the standard (burgers, dogs, brats).  We've also done chicken plenty of times.  We've brought out crock pots and done chili.  We've had someone bring Cuban food from one of the local joints.  Plus, don't forget the appetizers (chips, pretzels, dips, salsa, etc.) We've brought big grills, little grills, crock pots, and camping stoves.  Blenders, coolers, canopies, chairs, folding tables.  We've celebrated birthdays with cake, and had breakfast for the 11am games last year.  You name it, we've probably done it.  This year, we're aiming for a crawfish/shrimp boil.  

As far as TV's are concerned, it's always great to have one, maybe two out there.  Normally we've got at least one 19" tv in the back of somebody's SUV.  Our group all loves to watch whatever game of the week is on, plus you can keep up with the rest of the scores from around the country.

Probably more info than you needed, but that how we roll.  

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Get the charcoal that is in the lightable bag, very easy. Don't forget some huge garbage bags to clean up all the crap at the end of the day. Folding chairs and a football are always nice to have also.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433

definitly follow the 21 and up thing ... i had a bunch of friend tied up sitting on a crub once, it was a funny site for me but not for them ... lol

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880

Get the charcoal that is in the lightable bag, very easy. Don't forget some huge garbage bags to clean up all the crap at the end of the day. Folding chairs and a football are always nice to have also.

Footballs are great until the parking nazis come over and tell you to stop.  Is this a tailgate or a prissy picnic?  Let the balls fly!

:D :D :D

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I'm throwing a tailgate for the UCF game in Tampa and wanted some experienced tailgaters' thoughts on what I should bring/have.  I have some ideas already, but I want to get some others perspective on what a good tailgate offers.  Mainly talking about different kinds of food that can be easily stored, etc.  But I'm also looking for other ideas, such as hooking up a TV.

There was a great article in the Sunday Trib about tailgating. You need to check it out ....   ::)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Back in the day (when I was a Florida resident) I would kick off that first tailgate of the year with a replay of the Inaugural Season Season in Review video tape...

So yeah, you need a T.V.  You need a canopy.  Some good lighting is important.  String up some green and gold lights or the ornamental Bulls lights - don't know if they have them with the new logo yet.

For food, you can really do anything if you properly prepare.  I've done everything from hot dogs, to steaks, ribs and shish-ka-bobs.   Make sure you have enough gas and a good lighter - the wind can ruin a good tailgate.

Anyway, the real drag is that if you try to put on a tailgate like those you see at the Alabamas of the world - there is a lot of set up and take down time.  With the three hour window we get at RJS it hardly pays to really make it an event.

Have fun, meet other Bulls and whatever you do, do not toss around a football.  Like serving beer to underage kids, that can get you arrested at RJS.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Football in the parking lot, I'm all for it but it may get you run over in my lot if you ding the wrong car.