• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Positional Breakdown - Linebackers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Yesterday I started a breakdown of each position so we can get an idea of the depth at each spot heading into the season. Today, let's take a look at Linebacker

LINEBACKERS (10):

Starters: Nico Sawtelle - JR, Khalid McGee - SR

Second String: Kierston Johnson - SO, Andre Polk, Jr. - SO

In the Mix: Dwayne Boyles - FR, Tony Grier, Jr. - FR

Reserves: AJ Franco - RS FR, Andrew Mims - RS FR, Dave Small - RS FR, Randall Copeland - FR

OUTLOOK: Even though he was received accolades and recognition, I still think that Auggie Sanchez may go down as the most underappreciated Bull in USF history. He was a 4 year starter that NEVER missed a game (50 career starts) and, although not the most athletic, had a nose for the football and an engine that never quit. Quite honestly, we were spoiled to have him. His departure leaves a gaping hole at a position that USF didn't have much depth at to begin with. We essentially played 4 linebackers last season, with a few others getting a couple of reps here and there. The departures of Jimmy Bayes and Danny Thomas, two players that couldn't crack the 2 deep at a relatively shallow position for the Bulls, USF doesn't have any game experience outside of the first two strings. Nico Sawtelle returns and should be solid as he was last year. Khalid McGee seized on an opportunity to switch positions and, from all accounts, looks like he might be the shining star in the middle of the USF defense this season. Backing them up are sophomore Kierston Johnson and Andre Polk, Jr. They will hopefully be prepared to emerge as future starters that can lead the LBs. Beyond those 4 USF will have to potentially rely on true freshman Dwayne Boyles and Tony Grier, Jr. Both have shown flashes in their limited time on campus. If we get bit by the injury bug things could get a little bit sketchy. 

As far as future depth goes, it appears we should have a strong returning core of 5 guys for 2019, and 4 of them for 2020, but this is a position we will definitely have to address in the next two recruiting classes. 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Fair assessment there. I think the athletic ability that McGee provides in the middle will actually help the starting unit of LBs be more impactful than last year. Don’t get me wrong, the ability to tackle consistently is a value that is hard to replace. I genuinely appreciate everything Auggie contributed to this program. With that being said, I like the starting line up with McGee in there and KJ flashed some potential last season in his limited role. As you mentioned, this is a boom or bust unit due to depth. We really need this group to stay healthy for this defense to excel. 

30 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

Fair assessment there. I think the athletic ability that McGee provides in the middle will actually help the starting unit of LBs be more impactful than last year. Don’t get me wrong, the ability to tackle consistently is a value that is hard to replace. I genuinely appreciate everything Auggie contributed to this program. With that being said, I like the starting line up with McGee in there and KJ flashed some potential last season in his limited role. As you mentioned, this is a boom or bust unit due to depth. We really need this group to stay healthy for this defense to excel. 

What concerns me about McGee is not whether he is more athletic than Auggie (of course he is) but rather will he have the durability to go out there and take a beating for 12+ games while totaling 85+ tackles? 5'10'' and 213 lbs entering summer camp isn't that big. One can expect that keeping the weight on while busting his butt in practice will be difficult. Auggie was generally 6'2'' 235 lbs when he played. Given the lack of depth around him I hope he holds up throughout the season. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,554
  • Days Won:  28

I just hope Second String: Kierston Johnson - SO, Andre Polk, Jr. - SO can freakin stay healthy this year. Especially Polk. He's been injured a lot. 

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I just hope Second String: Kierston Johnson - SO, Andre Polk, Jr. - SO can freakin stay healthy this year. Especially Polk. He's been injured a lot. 

They had better or the Boyles and Grier, Jr. had better be pretty far along in their development. If not, we might have to use multiple safeties to fill in from time to time. 

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

K Johnson has seen considerable time and i liked what i saw....dont forget we have a certain d-lineman that can slude back there....see the ucf game

• Upvote 1