• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rubin with a 42 yd ko return

Guest bullman33

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Would love that in the history books RTB, and it most likley would go to the HOF in Canton.

Best Wishes D'rube !

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

DRube could actually make me pay attention to the Bucs for the first time in 15 years!

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

I only hope the lack of comment by the Bucs coaches means that he has a job and not that they haven't noticed or think it was special enough.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I heard Gruden say in a post-game radio interview that the punt return team was 'horrible' (or a word to that effect).  I pretty certain that it had to do with the fact they had a penalty on about every play, negating good individual play by D-Rube.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

I heard Gruden say in a post-game radio interview that the punt return team was 'horrible' (or a word to that effect).  I pretty certain that it had to do with the fact they had a penalty on about every play, negating good individual play by D-Rube.

Gruden had some nice things to say about him during the game, but pointed out the stupid penalties. Also, after the game a couple of the TV commentator's said they thought Rubin had done himself enough good to make the team. I guess we will find out pretty soon.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/08/22/Bucs/Returns_tops_list_of_.shtml

Returns tops list of problems

By RICK STROUD and STEPHEN F. HOLDER

Published August 22, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - The Bucs have some obvious areas of concern after Saturday's preseason loss to Jacksonville, not the least of which is the return game.

Torrie Cox 's fumble of a first-half punt that resulted in a turnover only served to reinforce coach Jon Gruden 's opinion.

"I'm concerned about that," he said Sunday after reviewing film of the game. "It's been a major disappointing part of my career here in Tampa, the punt return and kickoff return."

Cox was successful on special teams last season, ranking fourth in the NFL and second in team history in kickoff return average (26.2 yards), but he has put the ball on the ground twice in two games this preseason while fielding punts.

Gruden didn't say Cox would be relieved of his return duties, but the coach almost certainly will explore other options. Starting receiver Joey Galloway is a skilled return man, but his age (33) and recent injuries make using him a risky proposition.

Backup running back Ian Smart will continue to get more opportunities, as will former USF standout DeAndrew Rubin . "Rubin is a guy that is a natural catcher," Gruden said. "He has a great background returning punts in college and, obviously, as a kickoff man, he has potential."

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Some promising offensive efforts were also short-circuited by penalties. Rookie back Carnell Williams’ stats would look a bit better, for instance, if his successful 10-yard sweep around left end handed come back on a holding penalty on the tight end. Same is true for first-year receiver DeAndrew Rubin, who is fighting for a roster spot and helped himself with an eight-yard end-around while playing with the first-team offense in the second quarter. It looks like four yards in the box score because a crackback penalty erased half of it.

Fortunately for Rubin, Gruden sees the good and bad of every play on videotape.

“Some young players stepped up,†said Gruden. “I was pleased with a lot of things that happened in the running game. We had four nice runs called back for holding. That’s not good. But there was some good execution in between these plays I’m talking about.â€Â

<snip>

Rubin is making a case to be that guy with his work on special teams. While the Bucs have struggled a bit in the return game through the first two contests, Rubin has been a bright spot, catching the ball well and making some positive gains. On Saturday night, after the Bucs had fallen behind 6-3 in the second quarter, he returned the resulting kickoff 42 yards to midfield, though a post-play roughing penalty cost the Bucs 15 yards.

“Rubin is picking it up in our return game,†said Gruden. “He’s going to push to make this team. We need a couple other guys to eliminate the penalties and the carelessness and try to make our team.â€Â

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=4652

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

If Gruden doesn't keep D'Rube, he is an idiot. D'Rube gets the spark going when the Bucs need it. He will be, in my opinion, the first in Bucs history to run back a kickoff! Go get em D'Rube!!!PS. If you are reading this, we'll be looking forward to you stopping by our tailgate again for some good brats, dogs, and Italian Sausage!!!    Reaper

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Probably not reading this... he said they have a ton of meetings... but I've kept him up to speed on everyone's well wishes. We talked after the game the other night... he was pretty amped up about his two returns to say the least. He needs two more games to show what he has and maybe he'll be more than just a practice player this season.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

I think he has a great chance Terry!