• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Found this on wikipedia:

The first tier, called Regionals, consists of 16 locations that include four teams, seeded 1 through 4, competing in a double-elimination bracket. The 16 host sites are determined mostly by merit – most No. 1 seeds host – but are also contested by bids from schools guaranteeing the NCAA a certain amount of revenue from that regional. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Championship

This makes it sound like they generally pick by merit, but teams can bid to be a host even if not seeded in the top 16.  So it sounds like a school could "bid" to host if not a top 16 seed, but could be chosen as a host on merit without "bidding".

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, we're not hosting and we'll find out where' we'll be playing around Monday at noon

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

4 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Found this on wikipedia:

The first tier, called Regionals, consists of 16 locations that include four teams, seeded 1 through 4, competing in a double-elimination bracket. The 16 host sites are determined mostly by merit – most No. 1 seeds host – but are also contested by bids from schools guaranteeing the NCAA a certain amount of revenue from that regional. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Championship

This makes it sound like they generally pick by merit, but teams can bid to be a host even if not seeded in the top 16.  So it sounds like a school could "bid" to host if not a top 16 seed, but could be chosen as a host on merit without "bidding".

Here's the form for that bidding process ...

If they are required to place a bid and didn't, I'd like an explanation.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I've never heard of this in baseball.   This article says the NCAA picks regional and super regional hosts and if a super regional host loses in the regional, THEN the remaining teams bid to host the super regional.  It could be true, but I've never heard of that and don't see why USF would not "bid" to host a regional if this was the case.

https://www.thoughtco.com/sites-for-regionals-and-super-regionals-selected-320040

I know they do this for the 1aa football playoffs as the university I teach at puts a bid in every year and always gets a first round game. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull