• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Signing Day Surprise

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

So basically there was no surprise.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

3 minutes ago, Rizman said:

That must have been the surprise.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

JK is the main college football writer for the Times. It makes sense for him to be up there today with everything going on in comparison to here ...

Fair point.  I was hoping we'd have more than 2 signing today, but no excitement whatsoever.  

I know it's not mature of me to feel this way, but watching Taggart hit the Tampa area, and seeing his antics at FSU just chaps me.  I think he's a mediocre coach, but he connects with kids, recruits extremely well and now has $$ to pay for very good coaches.  So that may help overcome his coaching weakness.  We shall see...but I can't be pulling for the Noles, even if that makes me a baby.

2 hours ago, Rizman said:

It's on another thread, but the surprise was one of our "commits" flipping, perhaps to GT.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, JupiterBull said:

I know it's not mature of me to feel this way, but watching Taggart hit the Tampa area, and seeing his antics at FSU just chaps me.  I think he's a mediocre coach, but he connects with kids, recruits extremely well and now has $$ to pay for very good coaches.  So that may help overcome his coaching weakness.  We shall see...but I can't be pulling for the Noles, even if that makes me a baby

I've got no problem whatsoever with Taggart. Left the program infinitely better than when he got here. Had opportunities to better himself career wise and not often can I fault someone for doing that. Thought it was cool for him to be able to go the school he was a huge fan of growing up ..... of course it helps that I was also a big FSU fan growing up so if he had landed a little further SE of where he is now would probaby feel different.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

On 2/7/2018 at 6:05 PM, Triple B said:

I've got no problem whatsoever with Taggart. Left the program infinitely better than when he got here. Had opportunities to better himself career wise and not often can I fault someone for doing that. Thought it was cool for him to be able to go the school he was a huge fan of growing up ..... of course it helps that I was also a big FSU fan growing up so if he had landed a little further SE of where he is now would probaby feel different.

No argument...but I can't help the gut reaction I feel.  I grew up a Noles & Canes fan (always hated the Gators).  Stopped liking the Canes after USF's first game v UM at the Orange Bowl (after our huge win v Lville).  Canes fans were smoking dope in the stands and cussed up before, during & after the game, despite beating us 27-7. I decided then I couldn't pull for those dudes.

I love & appreciate what Taggart did, and I find it funny that the same Oregon guys taunting USF fans after Taggart left us pitched a fit & blasted him on Twitter when he did the same to them.

Time will tell Taggart if FSU was right to hire him.  My son graduates from FSU in May, so I've still got love for FSU.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

40 minutes ago, JupiterBull said:

No argument...but I can't help the gut reaction I feel.  I grew up a Noles & Canes fan (always hated the Gators).  Stopped liking the Canes after USF's first game v UM at the Orange Bowl (after our huge win v Lville).  Canes fans were smoking dope in the stands and cussed up before, during & after the game, despite beating us 27-7. I decided then I couldn't pull for those dudes.

I love & appreciate what Taggart did, and I find it funny that the same Oregon guys taunting USF fans after Taggart left us pitched a fit & blasted him on Twitter when he did the same to them.

Time will tell Taggart if FSU was right to hire him.  My son graduates from FSU in May, so I've still got love for FSU.

How does one grow up liking the Canes AND the Seminoles? That's like growing up and saying you're a fan of the Yankees and the Red Sox.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, JupiterBull said:

Fair point.  I was hoping we'd have more than 2 signing today, but no excitement whatsoever.  

I know it's not mature of me to feel this way, but watching Taggart hit the Tampa area, and seeing his antics at FSU just chaps me.  I think he's a mediocre coach, but he connects with kids, recruits extremely well and now has $$ to pay for very good coaches.  So that may help overcome his coaching weakness.  We shall see...but I can't be pulling for the Noles, even if that makes me a baby.

It's on another thread, but the surprise was one of our "commits" flipping, perhaps to GT.

Eh. Very few coaches are both great recruiters AND great with X's and O's. The good ones know their lane and surround themselves with people with pick up the slack where they're lacking either by hiring great assistants who can call a game, coach up kids, etc. or do the heavy lifting with recruiting. For xCWT's sake, he better have a good AD like Harlan who can tell him what offense to run when he brings in the players.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

59 minutes ago, JTrue said:

How does one grow up liking the Canes AND the Seminoles?

Reminds me of some people I've seen saying that they root for all the Florida teams to do good .......WTF??? Is there some kind of trophy that I'm not aware of given to the state with best combined won-loss record?

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

On 2/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, JupiterBull said:

I think he's a mediocre coach, but he connects with kids, recruits extremely well and now has $$ to pay for very good coaches.  So that may help overcome his coaching weakness.  We shall see...but I can't be pulling for the Noles, even if that makes me a baby.

This is purely conjecture but it seems that Taggart never got over Harlan bringing in Tomey to babysit him and also that he was inches away from being fired. That's why he offered Strong a spot at Oregon - to stick it to USF. And I don't care if Rocky the Bull is coaching FSU, I will always root for them to crash and burn.

Edited by ToroDeFuego

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

Reminds me of some people I've seen saying that they root for all the Florida teams to do good .......WTF??? Is there some kind of trophy that I'm not aware of given to the state with best combined won-loss record?

Maybe we can start a "Flo-Ri-Da! Flo-Ri-Da!" chant from here on out like "S-E-C! S-E-C!"