• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

college football & USF Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I was just thinking about how they dropped us from the AP poll after one loss while plenty of 2-loss teams are ranked. Has the college football landscape changed since USF Football's inception back in 1997?

I know the AP poll and the Coaches' poll are put together by individual humans (I hope they are human!), but it seems to me that college football has changed a lot since 1997 and there after (after we got to #2 in the land).

I think the P5 model has made it so that everything is about the playoff and the rankings of those contending teams and the P5, and any team outside of the P5 are given less -a lot less- respect.

We got to #2 via the BCS model. And, yes, we beat ranked teams to earn that ranking.

But I'm really surprised how we were one of the darlings of the preseason and after one loss, we are dropped like a date with VD.

(1) Do you think college football has changed with respect to ranking respect and all of that for non P5 teams? Boise back in the day wasn't a BCS team but they got their equal shots --when they beat OU that one year?

(2) Do you think if USF Football started in this current landscape that we would have been this successful?

Edited by Flowers4Heisman

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

First thing, absolutely not.

In 1997 there was limited television. Teams actually got less respect than they get today. In 1995 Toldeo went 11-0-1 and finished 25th in the country. 1999 undefeated Marshall finished 10th after pretty much everyone in the top 15 has 2-3 losses. In both those situations they played in minor bowl games and moved on.

That's changed a lot.

We're out and behind 2 loss teams for two reasons. (1) we haven't beaten a team with a pulse and (2) we lost to the only team with a pulse.

Win out and we're going to the Peach Bowl to play a pretty good football team. Something that wouldn't have happened in 1997. 

The power schools have always had the advantage.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

according to Sagarin's, our only win inside the top 100 is Temple and they are at 98.

we were actually getting too much respect before considering the way we were playing.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

8 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

according to Sagarin's, our only win inside the top 100 is Temple and they are at 98.

we were actually getting too much respect before considering the way we were playing.

Where would you rank USF now compared to what you thought we were going into the season with CCS?

Just now, BDYZR said:

Where would you rank USF now compared to what you thought we were going into the season with CCS?

honestly I didn't like the hire. Thought it was a 180 in philosophy. Never really cared for defensive minded coaches. I think they are too conservative.

He turned around the defense quicker than I expected though.

I thought we had the talent to win every game. That's asking a lot.

We really haven't been winning in impressive fashion like I think we are capable of doing but that's generally how defensive minded coaches work.

They want to win games by 3 points. They sit on leads. They are happy to kick field goals and play field position football. Eventually you lose a game on a fluke play if you coach that way. Strong lost to Syracuse and UConn the year they beat UF. Lost to Marshall and FIU the year before.

I'd say we are right where I expected. Winning the easy ones and getting out-coached in the tougher ones. We should have an easy go of it these next two. Not sure I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff against frost and co. Match up athletically with them though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

honestly I didn't like the hire. Thought it was a 180 in philosophy. Never really cared for defensive minded coaches. I think they are too conservative.

He turned around the defense quicker than I expected though.

I thought we had the talent to win every game. That's asking a lot.

We really haven't been winning in impressive fashion like I think we are capable of doing but that's generally how defensive minded coaches work.

They want to win games by 3 points. They sit on leads. They are happy to kick field goals and play field position football. Eventually you lose a game on a fluke play if you coach that way. Strong lost to Syracuse and UConn the year they beat UF. Lost to Marshall and FIU the year before.

I'd say we are right where I expected. Winning the easy ones and getting out-coached in the tougher ones. We should have an easy go of it these next two. Not sure I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff against frost and co. Match up athletically with them though.

Agree on the record side of where we should be now. As far as ranking at #26... Not so much, actually not at all. Maybe somewhere in the #35 - #40 range.

I know I'll get blasted for that one, oh well. Speaking of Sagarin, USF #35 LOST to #56.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Agree on the record side of where we should be now. As far as ranking at #26... Not so much, actually not at all. Maybe somewhere in the #35 - #40 range.

I know I'll get blasted for that one, oh well. Speaking of Sagarin, USF #35 LOST to #56.

I agree. #35-#40 seems about right.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, BDYZR said:

CCS is not responsible for the weak schedule. 

7 minutes ago, MMW said:

CCS is not responsible for the weak schedule. 

He is 100% responsible for the quality of play during those games. IF we played the way I think we should play I'm not sure we lose the ranking.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

He is 100% responsible for the quality of play during those games. IF we played the way I think we should play I'm not sure we lose the ranking.

We have a weak schedule and we lost.  There is no way I don't see us falling out of the rankings after beating a bunch of cream puffs even if he ran up the score.

I enjoyed watching the team score at will last year, but it only slightly made of for other teams doing the same.  It was not a formula that tends to win championships and worst of all, our prior coach did not seem to care.

I am willing to be patient.  

Edited by MMW