• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How hard is it to change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  41
  • Days Won:  0

your system?  I'm not saying this out of harsh condescension but as a serious question.  I remember the Dolphins a few years back were having a tough time with everybody.  They took a hard look at themselves and said we need to get the ball in the hands of our best players.  this led to the development of the wildcat IIRC.   And didn't this come to jesus moment happen after the season started?  Anyway,  you have to give Taggert some credit here as well.  He tried to put his system in place and it almost cost him his job.  It wasn't until he changed it to fit the strengths of his players did it not only save his job,  it got him a better paying, higher profile one.  It did take a couple of seasons though didn't it?  Why would a head coach be so stubborn when it comes to 'systems' and their attachment to them? 

I guess the immediate answer would be that changing schemes every year is too much work and arguably too much work to be done successfully every year but I'm not sure I buy that.  Teams change schemes all the time when a new coach comes in.  If the group of players can a learn a whole new scheme in the off season why can't the coaching staff?   

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

6 minutes ago, Wildrover said:

your system?  I'm not saying this out of harsh condescension but as a serious question.  I remember the Dolphins a few years back were having a tough time with everybody.  They took a hard look at themselves and said we need to get the ball in the hands of our best players.  this led to the development of the wildcat IIRC.   And didn't this come to jesus moment happen after the season started?  Anyway,  you have to give Taggert some credit here as well.  He tried to put his system in place and it almost cost him his job.  It wasn't until he changed it to fit the strengths of his players did it not only save his job,  it got him a better paying, higher profile one.  It did take a couple of seasons though didn't it?  Why would a head coach be so stubborn when it comes to 'systems' and their attachment to them? 

I guess the immediate answer would be that changing schemes every year is too much work and arguably too much work to be done successfully every year but I'm not sure I buy that.  Teams change schemes all the time when a new coach comes in.  If the group of players can a learn a whole new scheme in the off season why can't the coaching staff?   

Or you could have kept on the OC from a team that scored a lot of points and not have to change "your" system and let him run "his".

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

All I know is that if 3 yards and a cloud of dust is what CCS wants to do here...all we can hope is Flowers puts team on back and we win conference and CCS gets hired away.  That style is outdated and wont work here.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

One word “ego”

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

2 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

One word “ego”

Said this in a thread a couple of days ago.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Maybe CCS needs to try the NFL.  Bucs seem to be playing strong ball.  Great for an afternoon power nap.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  59
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Wildrover said:

If I remember correctly,  two seasons ago, Taggert  seemed on the verge of losing his job.  And then, presto!  He let "Flowers be Flowers" and off we were to the races.  He basically changed on a dime, so to speak, and what a nice season 2016 turned out to be because of it.   Whether true or not, I heard that the players pleaded with him to change his vaunted LOL "shift" offense.    Million dollar salaried coaches should know enough not to try to put square pegs in round holes.  They should also know enough to keep the players aware of clock management in a game like yesterday.  I had so much high hopes with Strong coming here.  But up to this point, I'm not impressed. A respectable high school coach could have won those first seven games vs. weak opponents.  Our first real opponent and we are defeated for the wrong reasons.  

Edited by raginbull76
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Changing your system is probably straightforward but involves some moderate work.

Internal change is hard. I'd like to change in many ways but I don't. To change the system which is easier than changing yourself the coaches are going to have to change themselves.

Not.

Going.

To.

Happen!

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't lnow that the staff has to change their system, but quite honestly, it doesn't take a genius or even anyone with a lot of football knowledge to understand that you have a dynamic playmaker at QB. For some funny reason the entire football world, except the incoming OC, recognizes his dynamic playmaking ability enough that he is considered for the Heisman. 

Wouldn't it be smart to find a way to call plays that keeps the ball in your best playmakers hands rather than put the majority of productivity into either career backups or unproven players hands. 

Further, you have another dynamic player known for making a lot of plays catching the ball out of the backfield. Smarter to find ways to get the ball in his hands catching the ball than just let him run. 

But wait, just maybe there are some plays where its possible to incorporate both threats on the same plays. 

• Upvote 1