• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Seeking opinons for name change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Now that South Florida is in a BCS conference, perhaps now would be an appropriate time to change the name. I here all the time how Tampa does not get behind the Bulls and that it is mainly a pro town. Also, is Tampa really in south Florida?

Little known fact... our school was named by a Geography Major from UCONN.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,783
  • Days Won:  3

I here all the time how Tampa does not get behind the Bulls and that it is mainly a pro town. Also, is Tampa really in south Florida?

First off...I think you mean to say "I hear".

And, from whom do you "hear" this?

And yes, Tampa is in South Florida...if you're in Jacksonville, or Tally-hassle. It's north, if you're in Miami and west if one is in Orlando. Perspective.

I would like to see the Universtiy of South Florida change its name to the University of Florida - Tampa and refer to themselves only as Tampa

I would like to see you develop some hobbies that keep you occupied during summer. Something other than bulletin boards.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, I guess I did hit a nerve. First off, I want everyone to know my intent was not to incite.  It was not a joke and perhaps I AM that stupid. Just asked a question is all. Second of all, you all here are a HOOT!!!!  Ya, you all sand blasted me pretty good there, but when your laughing as hard as I was (and I love to laugh), it is hard to get upset by it. I didn't have any idea how sensitive the subject was and I apologize for being so disrespectful, though it certainly was not my intent to come on your board and flame.

Howie, thanks for sharing that article.  It provided the answers I was looking for. This question was brought up by others and I thought I would go to the source (the Bullspen) for USF information.  I will certainly not be coming here in the future to ask my stupid questions.  Thanks for the respect, though it obviously was more than I deserved.

Griggsy wrote, " If I ever think we should change our name I'll just keep it to myself and then kick my OWN ass."  

You are so RIGHT.  Perhaps I should have posted this question in the Bigeast forum of this board. These guys act like they were in a bull fight and someone wrapped barbed wire around their balls.

Oh well, ole ;)

::goodbye::

DW

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160

First off...I think you mean to say "I hear".

And, from whom do you "hear" this?

And yes, Tampa is in South Florida...if you're in Jacksonville, or Tally-hassle. It's north, if you're in Miami and west if one is in Orlando. Perspective.

I would like to see you develop some hobbies that keep you occupied during summer. Something other than bulletin boards.

Hmmm, you never made a typo? Good for you. ::)  Funny how you quote me, but you did not answer the question. Why is it the Tampa Bay area does not get behind USF? What is it that thos who love USF can do to boost interest? Or are the reports of poor PAID receipts to home games over inflated?  You would think selling out HALF of a stadium is not asking too much.  So what is the problem? If I can not ask this now, then what time of the year do you suggest would be more appropriate for you?

Note, I will stay off your board for now on and stay on the BE board where it is obvious I belong :-X

DW

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

dw4uconn...Just so you know, The University of South Florida has recently been designated the only State University "System."

The University of South Florida (USF) is an evolving multi-campus system and a multi-campus national research university.

The main campus is in Tampa, but there are currently three other USF campus's in St Pete, Lakeland and Sarasota. There are approximately 35,000 students enrolled in Tampa and 7,000 students at the other locations. By 2012 it is projected that there will be 59,000 students in the "USF System" which will make it the largest University in Florida. So, "Tampa" would not be the appropriate name. I presume that new USF campus's will sprout up more in South Florida in the future given the ever increasing population in the State. So, at some point "South Florida" might very well be applicable. :)

You may want to read this thread to learn more.

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1111768835;start=9#9

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

That's IF he ever comes back.  Geeze sometimes people on this board can be harse for the lack of a  better word.

All the guy did was ask a question?  If you live in Conn how would you know?

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Hmmm, you never made a typo? Good for you. ::)  Funny how you quote me, but you did not answer the question. Why is it the Tampa Bay area does not get behind USF? What is it that thos who love USF can do to boost interest? Or are the reports of poor PAID receipts to home games over inflated?  You would think selling out HALF of a stadium is not asking too much.  So what is the problem? If I can not ask this now, then what time of the year do you suggest would be more appropriate for you?

Note, I will stay off your board for now on and stay on the BE board where it is obvious I belong :-X

DW

dw4uconn...You are welcome on this board just like you are on the Big East board. It's just that you came off telling us what you think we should do etc., etc., and as you saw that didn't go over too well.

As to your questions, you have to understand that most people in the Tampa area grew up as fans of UF, FSU and Fl since USF didn't have a football team until 1997.

The University of Tampa (a relatively small private school) DID have a major football program but that was discontinued when the Bucs came to town. You can read about that along with the History of the USF football program at this link:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/8121/

As far as USF fan support goes for football, it really has been quite remarkable when you look at our schedules over the years and you compare it to other schools.

When USF has had a decent season and a decent opponent it draws about 35,000 in PAID attendance, so I'm not sure where you get your info on PAID receipts.

We have 17,000 season ticket holders.

Considering our very poor schedules, drawing about 30,000 fans on average (against 1-A opponents) the last few years is not bad at this point in our development.

Last year was our worst on field performance and because of that and some noon games, many of the PAID season ticket holders didn't attend.

If we field a somewhat competitive team this year with our upgraded home schedule, I wouldn't be surprised to see 35,000-40,000 average in paid attendance.

WINNING helps!  ;D

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

dw4uconn-

A couple of points:

1) The name will never be changed.

2) UFT is the worst possible name imaginable.

3) I agree with you, but I would change it to "Tampa State" or "The University of Tampa Bay".

4) See number 1.

8)

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

3) I agree with you, but I would change it to "Tampa State" or "The University of Tampa Bay".

I hope you are being sarcastic - Tampa State sounds like some Division III school, and University of Tampa Bay sounds like some kind of school for working professionals at night, like University of Phoenix or something like that.

PS. did you notice that most schools are dropping "State" from the name, eg. Troy State is now just Troy.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I hope you are being sarcastic - Tampa State sounds like some Division III school, and University of Tampa Bay sounds like some kind of school for working professionals at night, like University of Phoenix or something like that.

PS. did you notice that most schools are dropping "State" from the name, eg. Troy State is now just Troy.

Memphis dropped, "State" a while ago.