• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Seeking opinons for name change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

How do the Bulls fans feel about the current name for your university?  I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I feel a name change might help the school's second tier perception in the state of Florida.

Now that South Florida is in a BCS conference, perhaps now would be an appropriate time to change the name. I here all the time how Tampa does not get behind the Bulls and that it is mainly a pro town. Also, is Tampa really in south Florida?

From what I understand, USF is a metropolitan university. So why not take on the name of the city you reside in?  Wouldn't connecticing the school name to the name of the city help fans to connect better to the school?  Also, for those not familiar with Florida, where the heck IS South Florida. As in outsider, I was not impressed when South Florida was first talked about. However, once I discovered they were in Tampa, that all changed.

I would like to see the Universtiy of South Florida change its name to the University of Florida - Tampa and refer to themselves only as Tampa

The advantages are that you would be better connecting to a great city.  Also, youngsters growing up in the area will hear the name Tamba Bay Buccaneers AND Tampa Bulls.  The youngsters would likely get more excited about going to see Tampa play Pittsburgh rather than South Florida playing Pittsburgh.  Also, in name recognition, kids would hear the name Miami and Tampa and will likely perceive both universities as having similar attribute, despite the few similarities. It is just a perception thing, but I believe perception is very important.  I believe it is something the university could market and benefit from.

So, what do you all think of the University of Tampa or the Universtiy of Florida at Tampa?  Is there already a University of Tampa? Perhaps you all down there are happy with South Florida?  I would like to hear what you all have to say.

DW

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I mean no disrespect by this, but I don't think that a guy from UConn coming here to tell us we need to change the name of our school is going to get much in the way of dialog on the topic.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Not impressed, havent we beat you twice already?

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

UT is taken already....

and I almost threw up when I read UF-Tampa.  if you think USF is "second tier" how in the world can you recommend something that makes us sound like a sister school of another florida school.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Southern Cal doesn't seem to have a problem.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

It is simple. You win football games then you dont have to worry about your name. That is all you have to do. Univ of Tampa is already taken, but I guess we could still use Univ of Tampa Bay since we have a campus in St Pete too.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

NO FREAKIN WAY WE WILL EVER BECOME UF_TAMPA> IWILL PUKE, DIE,HAUNT,MAIM, PLUNDER AND OF COURSE...REAP! WE ARE USF. AND YOU WILL KNOW OUR NAME SOON BIG EAST!    THE REAPER

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

No freaking way i would ever support a name change. I graduated from the UNIVERSITY of SOUTH FLORIDA and its a great name.

Go Bulls!!!!

Guest Sprtsfn627

I'm with these guys, I like the name USF, as do most people that go here.  No way it changes.