• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This team is amazing-when it wants to be

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

This team can over power teams-when it wants to, to a tune of 34-7. 

This team can get to the quarterback-when it wants to. 

This team can run the ball like nobody's business-when it wants to. 

This team can get the right plays in-when it wants to. 

This team is amazing-when it wants to be. 

The team isn't just the players. It's the coaches too. It's the field staff, it's the trainers, it's the nutrition experts, it's the medical staff. 

What I see is a team that has amazing ability and an OC who doesn't call plays that are clearly effective. Example-we ripped Tulane off right tackle multiple times for huge yardage and a couple of scores, including Tice's final run. Why not force Tulane to load that side to stop it? 

The team needs to be mentally focused the entire game. All they had to do was put in one more TD and the backups could have come into the game to get some practice in the fourth quarter. They started so hot today that I thought the green wave was going to turn to water vapor. I was pretty sure Strong had gotten on his staff and it showed. The problem is that they packed it in. That's on everyone. Fine, Tulane scores to close the gap to 20. You have a short field! Go score and force them to keep throwing! Sure, they would have gotten their fair share. 

The red zone management in the 4th quarter was awful. Tulane left the right side of the field open almost all game it seemed, the numbers would have been in the offense's favor. 

Credit to the ST for recovering all three onside kicks, but they didn't do anything with the first two (short fields) and closed out on the final drive. 

Here's the good news-Houston is a good team but not a great one. They can be beaten next week. The schedule is heating up, it's time to get it done. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I hope Joey plagiarizes  that for his column.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Exactly.

"when it wants to be."

That's the frustrating part. If we were a slightly worse than mediocre team winning these games I'd probably be happier, but we can see the greatness that is there but isn't exhibited.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

6 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Exactly.

"when it wants to be."

That's the frustrating part. If we were a slightly worse than mediocre team winning these games I'd probably be happier, but we can see the greatness that is there but isn't exhibited.

What do you think is the reason for this? I think poor coaching plays a big factor. 

Just now, Rex Havoc said:

What do you think is the reason for this? I think poor coaching plays a big factor. 

I don't think the seniors buy into CCS and Gilbert, the lack of a complete game all season and tonight's collapse makes me suspect this more than I normally would.

I think CCS and Gilbert are guilty of terrible managerial practices by trying to make people fit their system instead of crafting a system to the strengths of the players. Good managers find work for their people that maximizes their strengths rather than trying to force them into a role they are not suited for.

There has clearly been good work on the defense where they are fixing last years' problems and playing to the player's strengths but special teams has almost nullified that. That is an absolute gong show.

I think there is a pathology of some sort in both the players and coaching staff right now that is festering. A willingness to accept playing just well enough instead of excellence. That attitude would seem to derive from the coaching.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I don't think the seniors buy into CCS and Gilbert, the lack of a complete game all season and tonight's collapse makes me suspect this more than I normally would.

I think CCS and Gilbert are guilty of terrible managerial practices by trying to make people fit their system instead of crafting a system to the strengths of the players. Good managers find work for their people that maximizes their strengths rather than trying to force them into a role they are not suited for.

There has clearly been good work on the defense where they are fixing last years' problems and playing to the player's strengths but special teams has almost nullified that. That is an absolute gong show.

I think there is a pathology of some sort in both the players and coaching staff right now that is festering. A willingness to accept playing just well enough instead of excellence. That attitude would seem to derive from the coaching.

I've noticed several times this year QF looking upset with the playcalling, then CCS goes and says QF is upset with himself. I don't buy that. I agree with you that the players on offense don't buy into Gilberts system. They had swagger and looked amazing last year...this year you don't see that. 

I've noticed several times this year QF looking upset with the playcalling, then CCS goes and says QF is upset with himself. I don't buy that. I agree with you that the players on offense don't buy into Gilberts system. They had swagger and looked amazing last year...this year you don't see that. 

And frankly I think CCS and Gilbert don't care because they will win with this talent due to talent and then they will have more of their guys next year or have moved on. If the seniors are unhappy in a transition year to the Gilbert offense and still win, well that's no problem for the coaches, they transition the rest of the team and the seniors graduate leaving fewer "malcontents".

3 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

And frankly I think CCS and Gilbert don't care because they will win with this talent due to talent and then they will have more of their guys next year or have moved on. If the seniors are unhappy in a transition year to the Gilbert offense and still win, well that's no problem for the coaches, they transition the rest of the team and the seniors graduate leaving fewer "malcontents".

You're right. I just miss last years offense. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Lack of motivation stems from the coaching. They need to own it and figure out how to keep our guys locked in and engaged. But their terrible play calling will do that to even the most dedicated players 

You're right. I just miss last years offense. 

Me too. I had a lot of issues with Taggart but I liked his killer instinct.  He put on a show for the fans.

I liked him burying ECU, I liked scoring quickly at will.