• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FAMU fires coach...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

If they have such a great alumni that is willing to travel in mass to away games, why doesnt this "great alumni" make donations to the university in a time of need like this as alumni from nearly every other college does.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

"Great" being a subjective term.  

It's  HBC &  IAA team.  Considerably different circumstances than Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame or even Florida.  

Seems to me, the issue here is not the amount of funds, but the managing thereof. Also, the focus on the football team has to do with rules violations as well.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

If they have such a great alumni that is willing to travel in mass to away games, why doesnt this "great alumni" make donations to the university in a time of need like this as alumni from nearly every other college does.

First, FAMU doesn't "travel" to away games en masse... their alumni base is concentrated in Florida's large cities because that where they came from to attend FAMU... the vast majority of FAMU students return home after college...  

FAMU also has a significant following in the African-American community, including a large number of people who are not graduates... (like Floridians rooting for FSU or UF)...

That is why they can get 40,000 people to a game against BCC or maybe even against USF... but can't get more than 12,000 people to go to Tallahassee to see a game.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Nothing will curtail the alumni's willingness to contribute to a school than fiscal irresponsibility and malfeasance.  

Let's hope they don't distance themselves too far from the program and the decent faculty/adminstration doesn't start pursuing other opportunities or else the whole institution could be history.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  67

Because, as I said, they are not alumni of FAMU.  If you have ever been to the Florida Classic you would see that more than half of the people there never go inside the stadium.  Its an event, a party.  Football is just a back drop to what is happening.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

According to my FAMU source, the alums have dumped A LOT of $$$ into the programs. It has been misused, abused, and with the upcoming NCAA deals, they are hesitant and just on standby for more. He said that the whole campus is in uphevial.   Reaper

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

That is why they can get 40,000 people to a game against BCC or maybe even against USF... but can't get more than 12,000 people to go to Tallahassee to see a game.

12K at a D1AA game is a pretty good average especially when FSU is right down the street.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

12K at a D1AA game is a pretty good average especially when FSU is right down the street.

I agree... but the point was that FAMU draws 20,000+ for FIU, 40,000+ against BCC and could draw 30-40,000 for USF ... they are not really alumni who "travel well"... they are simply fans who live in the cities where they play opposing teams...

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

en masse

Sorry Professor I thought this was a message board not High School English.  

I would also like to take the time to apologize to all of the other spelling nazi's on the board, I know this is a serious issue plagues you all, I hope you can forgive me.  

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I agree... but the point was that FAMU draws 20,000+ for FIU, 40,000+ against BCC and could draw 30-40,000 for USF ... they are not really alumni who "travel well"... they are simply fans who live in the cities where they play opposing teams...

Correct..."some" of FAMU's Alumni travel...but its mostly people in the African-American Communities in the surrounding areas that show up to watch the BAND, and oh, the football team too.

FYI...FAMU/BCC Game in Orlando has been sold-out for 70,000 plus.

It's a big-time event for Orlando and surrounding areas (many fans stay out at the Theme Parks).

KL